OT: Sour Notes at University of Illinois

Error #1 was depositing the funds in his personal account.

#2 was thinking he could do an anon donation of funds and not get asked how he got the money

#3 would be not thinking of what questions he'd get if the U did an inventory and the gear was missing.

Actually, error #1 was even thinking he could legally sell state-school-owned equipment.

• Like 2

Maybe, but that would be even more stupid. As it is, he's probably only going to get a slap on the wrist (presuming that his colleagues testify on his behalf). But if he were to have claimed a tax deduction, and he ever got audited by the IRS, he'd get hit for tax fraud. Doubt he'd get out from under that one.

...but aren't deposits larger than $10,000 reported to the IRS anyway?

Bottom line: Anyone who thinks this scenario makes enough sense to go ahead and try it—no matter if their motivation is sincere—doesn't think clearly enough to be allowed to work with kids.

• Like 2

My oldest (who is a wind player and did not march drum corp) is a 2010 graduate of U of I, was a music ed major and now a band director, and played one of those Buffet Contra Alto Clarinets that were sold. It was a fabulous instrument. Different guys who were being considered for the Director of Bands position came in to conduct the Wind Symphony (the top performing band ensemble at the school) my son's senior year (he was conducted by all of them). They made a bad hire in my opinion, as I heard all of the candidates; and this turn of events makes us all sick.

Edited by Phanmom
  • Like 1