Are Championships too expensive?

in my day there were no packages. the corps did what ever they wanted to do. what hell is going on? you have to buy some package? i thought this was america ?

welcome to modern day convention/event planning.

City says "ok, sure want to help out with costs...whats in it for us?"

So you have to make guarantees. This isn't DCI where most of the corps sleep on high school floors and hotel rooms can run up to $200 a night for fans ( go look at some of the hotels in Indy and what they charge). Plus, in DCI's defense, we do not bring in 16-20,000 fans. Even with fans and performers, staff etc added up we don't bring that many people in.

Hop has every right to say that, although I thought they charged them for championship weekend last year. Asking corps to pay $33,000 on one weekend is ridiculous. I get that they need to have hotel rooms booked, but I'm pretty sure more hotel rooms are used for performers than for all the fans attend. Lets try to change that somehow.

As much as people may moan about C2, they have added a lot more people to DCA shows who may never had gone to one before, whether its parents or fans of the DCI corps what want to see what's up. I think if they can show that they aren't losing money for about 3 years, hopefully other corps will follow suit.

welcome to modern convention/event planning. And here is where, IMO, C2 is dropping the ball:

Bucs stay at a school. So what do they do with their rooms? Sell them to family, friends, alumni, boosters etc. Boom problem solved. With all of YEA's resources and reach, they should have no problems doing that. What they posted on Facebook is kinda true. And kinda not. It's called twisting the facts to suit your needs.

I'm sure I'll catch hell for saying this, but maybe, at what they charge for dues, they should have had a full corps in June of people paying the entire fees.

• Like 2

For once, I have absolutely no problem with what George wrote. None. He's 100% correct on all counts.

No arguement either and fitting in what I learned this Summer....

As far as making it worth it for the area, not buying it that much...

1) Not like DCA is competing with other events for hotel rooms and the area is trying to make expenses or more money. If no DCA or any other event, then less $$$$ coming into the area. The area shouldn't kiss DCAs ### but sounds like an excuse to turn the screws.

2) And we wonder why Drum Corps is more expensive to run and easier to kill????

Just picturing a FB from a corps in Annapolis asking people to use the hotel rooms they were forced to get....

Edit: Thinking of the money we spent in the Annapolis area last year. Well.... couple of items at the Naval Academy store and total of 4 meals at Subway. Everything else was in the BWI area as was our hotel....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Here are the 1st thoughts that wandered through my mind on this.

1) Cadets2 were in DCA last year. They should have been aware of this all along. Isn't there a "What to Expect When You're Joining DCA" handbook laying around? That may come off sounding sarcastic, but the reality is that new corps have been popping up every year or two since Heat Wave joined the mix. I would hope DCA has information for those looking to start-up a new corps so things such as this aren't a surprise at the last minute.

2) Bucs do not use their hotel block of rooms alloted to them and stay in a school. Those rooms are used by Bucs alumni. Bucs have been doing it this way for years. Cadets2 have some former Bucs staff on their staff. I would have thought that they would have proposed the Bucs model to C2. Cadets2 may not have a lot of alumni yet, but the Cadets organization, along with folks from YEA certainly could have filled those rooms.

• Like 3

1) Cadets2 were in DCA last year. They should have been aware of this all along. Isn't there a "What to Expect When You're Joining DCA" handbook laying around? That may come off sounding sarcastic, but the reality is that new corps have been popping up every year or two since Heat Wave joined the mix. I would hope DCA has information for those looking to start-up a new corps so things such as this aren't a surprise at the last minute.

2) Bucs do not use their hotel block of rooms alloted to them and stay in a school. Those rooms are used by Bucs alumni. Bucs have been doing it this way for years. Cadets2 have some former Bucs staff on their staff. I would have thought that they would have proposed the Bucs model to C2. Cadets2 may not have a lot of alumni yet, but the Cadets organization, along with folks from YEA certainly could have filled those rooms.

Thanks Liz. I guess that's really my point and why it struck me the wrong way. They chose to join DCA knowing that this is the deal. It's not like the rules changed. First off, if you want to solicit donations, do it. Did the DCA stuff/rant need to be in there? Do you see this from any other DCA corps or are they figuring out a way to do it without taking shots?

I agree with all, that they have certainly strengthened the overall product and I'll make sure to be in the stadium when they perform Sunday. I am a fan of Cadets and C2, but how YEA/HOP represents itself in public is a PR head scratcher.

• Like 1

I know a lot of you guys dont read facebook, but this very thing was already suggested as one of the first comments. C2's logic, apparently, is that they dont quite have the following, or the alumni base (duh), of a corps like the bucs, so they would have no real chance of staying at a school, and selling off the rooms. I'm sure they would love to be able to do that....just not able to yet.

• Like 1

I know a lot of you guys dont read facebook, but this very thing was already suggested as one of the first comments. C2's logic, apparently, is that they dont quite have the following, or the alumni base (duh), of a corps like the bucs, so they would have no real chance of staying at a school, and selling off the rooms. I'm sure they would love to be able to do that....just not able to yet.

And it wasn't all Buccs Alumni who stayed with the corps. Know of some current member parents who stayed there in the past. And for a new corps just starting out.. *ugh* thinking Class A also which DCA is trying to build...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I really can't believe with the amount of people involved with USBands, YEA, Cadets, etc. they couldn't have come up with enough people who would have enjoyed a trip to MD. If they had put it out there in advance, not a couple of days before finals weekend, I bet they would have been pleasantly surprised.

• Like 2