Are Championships too expensive?

One thing to remember is that while we know and understand how DCA works, the majority of people George was addressing likely do not. Most Cadets alumni don't know much about DCA at all, let alone how it works. It takes years to build an alumni base, even if your organization is built on the back of another.

DCP already tends to read way too much into everything George says, so lets avoid turning this into yet another "Hop is evil" thread. There are enough of them in the DCI forums.

• Like 1

Given Jeff Ream's reaction and others agreeing with him, Rochester is becoming the new Indianapolis.........................with all the same splashback.

well, no dome, which is a plus.

But on the other side of the coin, what does DCA get in return from the host city?

Rochester - use of the Convention Center/streets for I&E and Minis

Annapolis - ?????

For both I'm taking for granted stadiums owned by non-city groups. LOL - USNA not taking much from granted there.....

DCA gets hotel rates that can be and usually are lower. possibly good deals on stadium and other venues. maybe even a tax break of some kind.

One thing to remember is that while we know and understand how DCA works, the majority of people George was addressing likely do not. Most Cadets alumni don't know much about DCA at all, let alone how it works. It takes years to build an alumni base, even if your organization is built on the back of another.

DCP already tends to read way too much into everything George says, so lets avoid turning this into yet another "Hop is evil" thread. There are enough of them in the DCI forums.

agreed to a point. But let's also look at one other thing....if they werent carrying 10+ holes into August waiting for tour to finish, that's an additional $14k in dues they have coming in. You know those late season fill ins arent paying that much if anything.

Now yes they do have staff that was at Bucs, but staff is not always administration, so I don't buy that those folks should have known going in. the job of staff is to teach, not run the business.

but yes, playing the victim always helps

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 1

DCA gets hotel rates that can be and usually are lower. possibly good deals on stadium and other venues. maybe even a tax break of some kind.

And if the corps have to guarantee a certain number of rooms, it's not that hard on the hotels. Would be interesting if another groups have to reserve a certain number of rooms for other events. I've heard of locking in the number of rooms your group wants and there is a penalty if someone backs out. But basically "You have to pay for X number of rooms.... rotsa ruck finding the bodies", new one on me.....

As for the room rates depends on how crowded the hotels in the area are. For Antique Car show in Hershey a group might get a break if they have stayed in the same place for a long time but usually the problem is finding rooms. If there are plenty of vacanies in the area with some grunt work they might find someone willing to deal.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

agreed to a point. But let's also look at one other thing....if they werent cattying 10+ holes into August waiting for tour to finish, that's an additional $14k in dues they have coming in. You know those late season fill ins arent paying that much if anything.

Now yes they do have staff that was at Bucs, but staff is not always administration, so I don't buy that those folks should have known going in. the job of staff is to teach, not run the business.

but yes, playing the victim always helps

still not over Hop running over your cat are ya :tongue: lol

I would imagine the same would apply to a city like Columbus, OH. IMO, that would be a great host city for DCA, with the wonderful Columbus Crew soccer stadium as the venue. But... if Ohio State has a home game Labor Day weekend in that same city... it would be tough, particularly from a hotel-room availability standpoint.

Ohio State always has a home game labor day weekend. That is also when they schedule their own alumni band weekend as well. Maybe DCA can switch. Next year OSU plays Navy at M&T in Baltimore and DCA can go to The Shoe.

Edited by jkmummer

the corps has 100+ kids worth of parents.

Many of whom probably dont even need a hotel in annapolis.... I know I could be involved with cadets2 (distance wise), but wouldn't bother with a hotel if I was going to the show. Certainly not for 3 or 4 nights anyway. Plus, i'm guessing a lot of them are college aged...or older (yes, I saw plenty of 14-17 year olds as well in the corps)

So yeah, they probably will follow the "Reading" model sometime in the near future. Personally, I cant imagine DCA without the hotel experience, but thats just my personal preference. With them being responsible for so many kids, I can understand why they dont want to do a hotel situation though. You get into some awkward situations with a corps that is pseudo - "youth based", yet has members as old as 25....all sleeping behind closed doors - and drum corps aren't set up like HS bands in terms of Chaperones.

For once, I have absolutely no problem with what George wrote. None. He's 100% correct on all counts.

He is just saying what everyone else has said in private at one point or the other. Or thought anyways. Congrats George your stock just went up two points in my book.!

• Like 1

Well the director of C2 was at Bucs for quite a few years so he knew what all was involved with Championships weekend.

• Like 1