Joey Pero - Empire Statesmen

Happy DCA week drum corps fans!

I wanted to take a moment to publicly thank the Empire Statesmen organization for (what will be this weekend) 13 seasons of fun, memories, growth and opportunity.

I came into the organization in the fall of 2000. Vince Bruni took an interest in me through an introduction from Tom Peashey. My father (Joe Pero Sr.) had been a minion of Mr. B's in the 70's with the Rochester Crusaders, so I'd know about his reputation since I can remember!

That first year shifted my life, career and goals. Throughout the years, the Statesmen gave me the opportunity to develop my solo playing and stage style; which I continue to use to this day in my band. The groups reputation for entertainment value was a perfect fit. Looking back, I couldn't have asked for a more appropriate pairing.

This weekend, I'll be "suiting up" one last time for Empire's farewell show. I know the rush of memories that will flash through me when we release from that final chord.

This weekend may yield a few more hugs and tears than usual, but there's one thing that won't change. The Empire Statesmen's desire to entertain YOU; leaving you exhilarated and humming a familiar tune.

People always ask me, "What was the high point"? The Championship in 04? the trip to Europe in 01'? Our run on America's Got Talent? The inauguration? Brigs playing to us in 03' on the field? It was all of it. The tears, the trips, the friendship, failures and victories, watching thousands of fans JUMP to their feet, the pain of loosing Mr. B on DCA weekend 03'. Stories you'd only find in a book. For a bunch of guys in 1983 from Rochester, NY with a vision and a dream - it was all worth it.

Sticking with tradition, my motto for the weekend will be:; Play HIGH or go HOME.

Much love and we'll see you in Annapolis, MD.

Joey

Edited by JoeSop1
  • Like 1

Well-said, Joey.

I cannot wait to see you guys in Annapolis!!!

• Like 1

Joey wish you and all the Statesmen the best always ,Your shows throught the years brought the crowd up to there feet .The drums soundin like helicoptors .The jets dance from Westside Story ,The witch from Oz the corps may be gone but the memories live on ,My personnel wishes to All ,And to all a good night .

• Like 1

Thanks for entertaining us in Charlotte for the Tour of Champions VIP reception and Loud, Live and Cool! Maybe when the dust settles we hook up the U-Haul and move you and your friends to the Carolina's for your next chapter! Imagine...shorter winters and judging by 2013...a pretty good brand of drum corps down here!

Best of luck this weekend!

• Like 1

Great performance at Lake Forest last night, best of luck this weekend!

• Like 1

As a fan thank you for giving us the performance of a lifetime. If I had only seen Empire Statesmen last night; that alone would have been worth the 10 hour round trip yesterday.

Scott Smith

• Like 1

Last night was my first DCA event. Was sad to learn that it was Empire's last performance, but I was thankful to have been able to witness it. It was a great performance. Talk about going out with a bang!

• Like 1

Joey, it was nice to meet you again on Sunday. More so because my timing of showing up at Empire's rehearsal was minutes before the impromptu Elk's Parade rendition - almost choked me up.

And thank you to the Empire organization for making room for my son to march with you this year, he had a blast and will always have some special memories of being part of the last season.

Regards,

John

• Like 1