Question I've had on my mind

So, this is the first topic I've started.

I have a close friend from my high school days that has gone on to do great things with his music career, and has earned a number of prestigious awards and recognition. He did Drum Corps for two years(but for two different top-12 corps).

I was talking to him the other day, and he told me that he doesn't like Drum Corps (he said the marching arts in general). And he said the only reason he did DCI was to bolster his professional resume. To which I thought, "what a shame, he took the spots of people that would've really liked to be there...even though they weren't as talented as him."

My question is, Is there a lot of this in the activity today? ( I personally think one is too many)... And for those that marched, have there been times when you can tell there's someone in the corps just to rack up brownie points? If so, how does this affect the corps/show (if at all)?

ps: I'm sorry if this topic has already been done before.

Edited by How_Will_It_End?

Anyone who sticks around for a second year of drum corps after not liking drum corps is likely not telling the truth about not liking the activity or the experience.

There are plenty of other ways to "bolster [a] professional resumé" without sweating one's buns off, bathing in sunscreen, sleeping on gym floors, relying on the soothing effects of Gold Bond, eating from a truck, taking ice cold showers and standing at attention in finales while feeling the dew creep up between one's toes.

• Like 4

Professional resume for what? Being a band director? I guarantee you any symphony orchestra couldn't care less whether you're a DCI alum or not.

• Like 1

I guess if he's a music educator it would help his resume, but otherwise it's usually seen as a hindrance (since you can't do music camps and seminars and the like).

I certainly didn't march with anyone like that. I know some music educators that did it originally for the resume but came back for different reasons. Those that didn't come back usually didn't have a good time.

Professional resume for what? Being a band director? I guarantee you any symphony orchestra couldn't care less whether you're a DCI alum or not.

Or any other pro playing gig: if you tell a band leader you spent two year touring/performing and not only DIDN'T get paid, but HAD TO PAY, you will possibly hurt your chances of landing the gig!

Or any other pro playing gig: if you tell a band leader you spent two year touring/performing and not only DIDN'T get paid, but HAD TO PAY, you will possibly hurt your chances of landing the gig!

Nah. It won't hurt you. Most band leaders know the deal. It's not likely to help you unless you run into someone who knows the activity and the corps well though.

Nah. It won't hurt you. Most band leaders know the deal. It's not likely to help you unless you run into someone who knows the activity and the corps well though.

If one is being interviewed by a principal, superintendent or other school administrator, it's just easier to say one ran away for a couple years to join the circus and it's now out of one's system and they're ready to do "mature" things.

• Like 1