2013 DCA World Championships Finals

Honestly, the color guard is the caption keeping C2 from dueling with Bucs, Cabs, and Minnesota. Regardless of how you feel about Statesmen's numbers, the difference in placement there was C2's guard score.

Frankly, it's become an major issue. I understand that Cadets2 wants to emulate the A corps in terms of style and teaching, but the current guard staff doesn't understand how to TEACH fundamentals, particularly to members with little experience. It's a problem that A corps hasn't had to deal with, and that last year's staff didn't handle well either. While the dancing and weapon line progressed at a high rate over the summer, the flags did not. Some of that falls on poor guard work design that was doubly exposed by excellent guard staging, but it's mostly going to come down to fundamentals.

I also understand C2's wanting to use A corps veterans as tech staff, they need to get some folks on the guard, visual, and (to a much lesser extent) brass staffs that know and understand teaching to inexperienced. That's an area where the Buccaneers, Caballeros, and Minnesota Brass excel.

Excellent points. I thought ES was highly entertaining, but both their brass and percussion were actually outscored by C2 at Finals. Bucs, Cabs and MBI all seemed to have a little more maturity; and the C2 drill seemed to be right on the edge at times of what those kids could handle while aiming for a quality sound. I noticed at Prelims the staging issue where C2's weak link was very exposed and their strongest area spent too much time at the back. I'd kinda like to see them back off a little on frenetic drill and try to fill the low brass holes earlier in the season. All that said, we really enjoyed the stylistic contrast among the top 7 corps....lots of creativity on display.

Heartliner still has three shows. The German Open is this Saturday, Drum Corps Nederland on 21 September and the Drum Corps Europe championships on 28 September.

Heartliner made many new fans on there visit here i for one loved there show .When i look back at the video on u-tube of them ,compared to DCA prelumis it like looking at night & day ,This trip helped them get there show cleaned up and the corps learned a lot from the volentires that worked with them .I agree they should have been given a slot to perform at finals .A perfect spot would have been after the 4 Class A corps n before Open Class.Wishing HEARTLINER the best of luck with your remaining completions ,GO HEARTLINER

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 2

I'd kinda like to see them back off a little on frenetic drill and try to fill the low brass holes earlier in the season.

IMO, there are several corps I'd like to see back off a bit on the frenetic drill and go for more focus on staging and coordination. I think we're reaching, or have reached, "critical mass" on the physical visual-demand front for all-age corps.

A story for another thread. Which I might start soon. :tongue:

Ich bin sehr stolz auf Heartliner. Sie vertreten unsere Heimat sehr gut! Und sie haben viele Fans in Amerika.

Ich verstehe (kind of).... OK forgot so much of my HS/college German I didn't even embarrass myself by trying anything but English when I talked to someone with the corps.

PS - 'gut' to 'sehen' Frank posting....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Ich verstehe (kind of).... OK forgot so much of my HS/college German I didn't even embarrass myself by trying anything but English when I talked to someone with the corps.

PS - 'gut' to 'sehen' Frank posting....

lol Just saying that I was proud of them and that they represented our homeland very well. :)

• Like 1

IMO, there are several corps I'd like to see back off a bit on the frenetic drill and go for more focus on staging and coordination. I think we're reaching, or have reached, "critical mass" on the physical visual-demand front for all-age corps.

A story for another thread. Which I might start soon. :tongue:/>

And please do, Fran. I think you've got an argument worth discussing.

Honestly, the color guard is the caption keeping C2 from dueling with Bucs, Cabs, and Minnesota. Regardless of how you feel about Statesmen's numbers, the difference in placement there was C2's guard score.

Frankly, it's become an major issue. I understand that Cadets2 wants to emulate the A corps in terms of style and teaching, but the current guard staff doesn't understand how to TEACH fundamentals, particularly to members with little experience. ...

Bingo. My friend - who also attended finals with me and has more than 30 years experience in corps and WGI guards - had something to say about C2. He always has associated the Cadets' organization with stylistically unique and usually spectacular guards.

I think it's inevitable that C2 will one day win DCA. (I also think Atlanta has a chance too, but that's another discussion.) But right now, the guard is the major weak spot.

Edited by Ron H

Any predictions for Wildwood, yet????????

C'mon folks.......what's the delay? Will Bucs still be 1.45 ahead of Cabs?....... Will Bush come out and jump over everyone? I like the Hurcs.......

Just got around to reading this Finals thread.

Joe, it's never too early. LOL.

If all goes well and I'm there in Wildwood, I predict I'll enjoy the boardwalk food. :tongue:

• Like 1

Well, the Cab's guard certainly smoked C2...props to their superiority in that caption; and I gave the edge to Cabs' brass (based on Prelims comparison)...but the .2 spread in Percussion (Finals) could certainly be up for discussion :-)

Domincardona is right - no good can come of me pointing out someone else's comments that were off, they shall speak for themselves.

However please understand my initial comment was in no way meant to disrespect C2.

Edited by Kay
  • Like 1

Let me clarify

I should have put up a disclaimer, I am not making any opinion on placements or scores and my hahahah had NOTHING to do with such, but more so about Camel using the words "Count on it" and said C2 would blow by Cabs and leave them in the dust. All based on hearsay having never seen either corps live this year.

Here is the exchange from another thread

"No doubt Cadets2 will fly past Cabs and Cabs will be looking in the rear viewmirror in the upcoming weeks the rest of the season. Be expecting that.

Ed Mason (Big AndPhat)

Well I tend to trustmy sources on the scene that have never let me down that know theirstuff!

Ed Mason (Big AndPhat)

And Kay that is thepoint you will just NOT get is I DONT have to be there to get my predicitons asclose as I get them.

Judging in DCA is SO PREDICTABLE.

I can get intel from the people I trust. Usejudging trends and previous years numbers to come up with a number. There issomething wrong with the system when a person some 700 miles away can comereally close with a prediction like I did with the Cadets spread.

But then again I guess you just fail to seethat. "

you need to give it up and chill out.

• Like 2