Let's get back on track. I apologize for delays, I've been exhausted, and being woken up 4 times this morning didn't help the cause.

I was pretty clear Windsor Regiment would be had against it to make finals.

I have to say I deeply respect the final push the corps made to get by a very solid Tampa Bay Thunder performance starting with the Scranton show.

The one thread in my notes about the performance was that the corps developed a strong sense of unity across the ensemble, which really gave the show life and carried them into the 4th finalist spot.

The percussion book linked well to the brass, the visual package read well and was pleasant, the inner harmonies in the brass book shone, and I have to tip my cap to the Tubas for their split work in "Simple Gifts".

They came on when they needed to after a right start to the season, and it's a real testament to the character of the corps membership they came so far with their program.

White Sabres had an incredibly solid run, one that was polished, and the visual package clicked wonderfully with the music score. It was a seamless effort, and I realized this was gonna go down to the wire with Govies. White Sabres threw down hard, and could the Govies respond?

I really have to respect the serious direction and growth White Saberes have shown over the past several years. The corps has matured in program, personnel, and attitude. Every years for about the last 5-6 seasons, one could see a steady hand and direction in the corps that was moving it forward. Keep in mind, readers, that I've covered WS several times this season so I'm keeping the discussion of their content short. There's no intent to disrespect, quite the contrary.

The final Class A corps, From St. Peter, Minnesota, the Govenaires (8FE/15CG/1 Ladies' Man-DM/14 Battery/13+1 horns) took the field.

How's come I could understand their Drum Major when he kicked off the show just fine yelling from his podium, and the PA system in the stadium sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher from Peanuts? I found this to be an amazing mystery, just sayin'.

The show had a Hollywood theme to it, and their Drum Major really played the part of the Leading Man very well as the corps kicked off into a wonderful, bright opening fanfare and into "City of Angels".

I have to marvel over how carefully the battery played so not to cover the brass section.

Their show was a fast-paced, high-energy program with tasty music and hard hits, framed by exceptional musicianship. The guard is well-presented, and we even had the appearance of the paparazzi on-field.

Dennis Argul's brass book for this corps is nothing but brilliant, featuring very lovely and dense harmonies of old-school chestnuts such as "Send on the Clowns" and "Don't Rain on my Parade" with great solo work. The way the Govies use their numbers and talent so well, it was a close-run thing for the number one spot- and White Sabres pulled it off fair and square.

Overall, there was a massive improvement for several corps in Class A this season. The standards of excellence and what will get a corps by in Class A have greatly increased this year. Programs have to be of very high quality in design and performance, by all sections of the corps. One can't just throw something out there and hope it'll stick to the wall. The competitors are too polished and capable.

I'm happy to see a better turnout for Class A this year at prelims. These corps do put on inspired and quality performances that are worth watching and enjoying, and entertain and inspire. DCA has had Class A members at the table now for the last couple of seasons, deservedly so, and I think having them involved at that level will be for the good of the activity as a whole.

Break time, Open Class later.

• Like 2

One thing was unfortunately certain in Open. Two corps who'd been doing well weren't going to make finals. The first four on were on the bubble, and it would be a very stiff test of each of those corps.

Sun started off Open confidently with some aggression. Their performance didn't lack for spirit or effort. Their run was by far the best I'd seen of them all season, particularly the color guard. The Front ensemble had a solid moment in the percussion feature with the triplets, and the musicianship was more inspired as the show moved to the end, especially in the Red Pony segment.

The run was tighter, but there were balance issues, and sonority problems at the start.

Sun competed hard, it was a great improvement from the season start, it's just that their opponents got more traction as the season progressed and managed to separate themselves.

The corps has the pieces in place, and I think that if they can build with the people they have in place and can make improvements to the program choices and direction, they can compete for a finalist spot in the future, and shouldn't be underestimated. They did manage to get ahead of a quality Kilties corps that put on a spirited run, and should take pride in that achievement.

I'd seen the numbers the Kilties (12 CG/11 Battery/2DM/28 Horns/5FE) had been putting up at the Midwest contests they had to have some solid expectations coming in to prelims.

Their visual package was a massive improvement over last year's, and the choices of classic rock hits like "Yesterday", Eleanor Rigby", "Bohemian Rhapsody", and "bye Bye Love" were well-arranged and very entertaining. The horns know how to throw punches when it's called for, and they have some solid talent. there was a lot more to this program and the crowd enjoyed it.

Solid quartet work in "Yesterday", the tall and short of the Bari world in "Bohemian Rhapsody" made for a fine show where they reached for the crowd with their personality, and got them involved. I'm glad I got to see them this year, and they just fell short in the ensemble captions.

The Hurcs too a bit of time to lift off musically, but when they got off the ground, they hit hard. The split percussion feature really set a tone of defiance and intensity for their performance. It was obvious they WANTED a finalist spot and pushed very hard, especially from the battery and color guard end of things.

Sometimes, the percussion beat up on the brass, which might explain why they were down to Sun in Ensemble Music. I had issues with the show ending at Scranton, but this time, the Hurcs were tighter, angry, and far better in their presentation, the Mellos in the oblique set presented very well.

I have to give the membership of the Hurcs credit where it was due. They willed themselves into one of the finals spots by a very intense run that was filled with fire and desire. Hopefully, next year will bring more numbers to the corps and more of that same intensity.

I felt Carolina Gold was the final corps on the bubble, and I'll explain why later, I felt they'd be vulnerable. I have to say that the membership of the corps ripped the top off the cereal box and fight themselves into finals. The Color Guard's effort really was a major factor in that equation with a 5th place effort. I think the brass got all they could out of the program that was given them. The percussion may have tried too hard in segments, they overcooked certain show elements.

I have to say the program made far more sense when viewed in a higher stadium. The Spy angle and the container was easily to grasp and follow from that perspective.

The big issue here was this nagging feeling I have about how this show was designed/created. The staff can fire away all they want if they want to- but I was left with this really nagging feeling that the show was created from more of an Indoor Guard/Percussion angle and the brass book and role in this program was an afterthought or an ancillary element that was thrown into the show.

I think the brass deserved a better book then the one given them. I was looking for moments, things to get grabbed by, and they just weren't there, and not for a lack of effort from the brass.

People can gripe, but 12th in Ensemble Music- that happened for a reason. Hopefully, Gold can present a more engaging musical program next season from the brass perspective- and if they do... all bets are off as to where they could end up. All respect to the corps members for a well-fought and inspired performance at Prelims that earned them a Finals Spot. it was well deserved.

It speaks well for DCA that these 4 bubble corps might well have been 7-8 spot finalists not long ago. The game's getting a lot tougher, and the depth is far stronger.

I'll hit the top 8 later.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll hit the top 8 later.

Just wondering.....

Is it later yet??? :whistle:

Hey man....everything you wrote is GREAT. Since I am a HUGE fan of Drum Corps in general, as well as participant, I love reading your reviews. It's give me a chance to kinda visualize what you in the stands is seeing and hearing. I don't get much of a chance to see my competitors, so I look forward to the reviews...especially from people in the stands! I hope to read your top 8 reviews sometime soon!! :worthy:

Edited by FPonzo
  • Like 2

he's been working on 82 Westshore for 3 years in that thread. patience

:tongue:

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2

he's been working on 82 Westshore for 3 years in that thread. patience

:tongue:

:spitting:

HAHAHAHA.......ok Jeff....82 Westshore.....oh yes...I remember beating them in Montreal and then again at Championships! :bleah: LOL

btw...someone gave you a negative rating on that post.....I corrected it. Probably someone in Tennessee! :whistle:

Edited by FPonzo

He hasn't even gotten to Montreal yet LOL

as for red marks/green marks.....the more red the better!

Thanks Frank. Crazy stuff here. Neighbors crazy. REALLY nuts. Was wishing I'd have had some old schoolers from Sky to deal with the kooks for me. Work causing me to pass out at the keyboard when I try and do this. Add to that all the rigamarole for getting my wagon repaired after one of my best friends backed his Ford Expedition Diesel into it in his driveway over DCA weekend. :blink:

I SHOULD get more up Sunday and Monday. I will say, the Cabs moved me. You see a corps with a mission that's coming on that hard, you'll never forget the experience, man. :worthy:

Was wishing I'd have had some old schoolers from Sky to deal with the kooks for me.

Most of us are only a phone call away ...

:-)

• Like 1

Most of us are only a phone call away ...

:-)

And you know people who know people. :tongue:

• Like 2

Crazy stuff here. Neighbors crazy. REALLY nuts.

I rent the upper half of a double. The boyfriend of the woman who lives downstairs is at her place all the time, almost so frequently to say that he lives there, too. Almost.

Two weeks ago, in the early evening, I glance out the back window and I notice there's something big in the driveway. Take a closer look and realize it's a pile of clothes. Then I see a woman parked in the street is dumping more clothes on the pile. Then she pulls a bottle of something out of the car and starts shaking the liquid contents all over the clothes. I figure I'm about to need to call the fire department. But she tosses the bottle, gets in her car, and drives off. I go outside and find it was a bottle of bleach.

Downstairs they didn't notice for another three hours, when I observed the apparently two-timing boyfriend was piling everything into the back of his pickup truck.

• Like 1