Spirit of Atlanta >> New Director <<

Spirit of Atlanta is excited to announce that the Board of Directors has hired JW Koester as the Corps Director of Spirit of Atlanta. JW is no rookie, nor stranger to the Drum Corps Activity. Mr. Koester has previously worked with The Glassmen, Phantom Regiment (2008 DCI world champions) and Santa Clara Vanguard (1999 DCI world champions) in sr. management positions. Mr. Koester was also the Drum Corps International Division II & II coordinator from 2002 - 2007.

"I am extremely excited to a part of the Spirit of Atlanta organization. I am looking forward to working with the corps members, staff and board to make 2014 the start of a very memorable adventure" J.W Koester

• Like 2

One can look far and wide and not find a better person than JW. He is one of drum corps' gems. I'm happy to see the corps finally made the announcement.

• Like 1

Not to be completely ignorant of corps administrative structure, but what does this mean for Todd Snead? Is he out? He's still listed on the corp's website, but then JW isn't listed there yet.

1378386043[/url]' post='3321949']

Not to be completely ignorant of corps administrative structure, but what does this mean for Todd Snead? Is he out? He's still listed on the corp's website, but then JW isn't listed there yet.

No announcements yet, but I heard Dr. Snead, their color guard caption head and drill designer resigned. Sounds like a top down overhaul. I haven't heard about brass or percussion staff yet. Could be JW bringing in his own people, or they resigned on their own perhaps expecting changes to happen with a new director. I'm sure we will learn more as it unfolds.

No announcements yet, but I heard Dr. Snead, their color guard caption head and drill designer resigned. Sounds like a top down overhaul. I haven't heard about brass or percussion staff yet. Could be JW bringing in his own people, or they resigned on their own perhaps expecting changes to happen with a new director. I'm sure we will learn more as it unfolds.

From the "staff merrigoround" thread:

Though all should wait for official announcements for some information, seems very accurate that several key staff have resigned from Spirit as per those person's facebook accounts. Includes corps director, program coordinator, guard caption head, and drill writer. So the term overhaul implies getting rid of people and replacing them.These folks have been there for a while and have turned Spirit around. They are leaving for whatever reasons. Replacing seems a more accurate term than overhaul, though I understand that implying firings makes some people feel more excited and in the know.

From a few friends on staff there, I understand that Dr. Snead, the guard caption head, drill designer, and program coordinator all resigned finals week or soon after, and NOT in reaction from pressure to leave. So as the poster in the other thread states, I too think overhaul implies something different than perhaps what is really happening. I am curious as to why that many important people all leave at the same time.

It is usually for personal reasons.

Edited by phan771

From the "staff merrigoround" thread:

Though all should wait for official announcements for some information, seems very accurate that several key staff have resigned from Spirit as per those person's facebook accounts. Includes corps director, program coordinator, guard caption head, and drill writer. So the term overhaul implies getting rid of people and replacing them.These folks have been there for a while and have turned Spirit around. They are leaving for whatever reasons. Replacing seems a more accurate term than overhaul, though I understand that implying firings makes some people feel more excited and in the know.

From a few friends on staff there, I understand that Dr. Snead, the guard caption head, drill designer, and program coordinator all resigned finals week or soon after, and NOT in reaction from pressure to leave. So as the poster in the other thread states, I too think overhaul implies something different than perhaps what is really happening. I am curious as to why that many important people all leave at the same time.

It is usually for personal reasons.

Thanks! I couldn't remember where I heard it. I wonder if they wait until all the staff positions are finalized and make one announcement.