Spirit of Atlanta >> New Director <<

I've been checking everyday! You the biggest tease, my friend! :-)

any update? Rumors maybe?

I asked them what was up via FB and they responded with announcements were coming shortly, which is what I posted here...I saw the other day they released a teaser vid on their FB page, but so far no news on staff.

Per the SoA website:

http://spiritdrumcorps.org

Spirit of Atlanta is pleased to announce their 2014 Design Team and Caption Heads:

Program Coordinator: Tom Andrews: Tom is the former Director of the San Jose Raiders, 7 time WGI independent World Class champions and a former DCI visual judge. Tom has worked with many drum & bugle corps, winter guard and high school band programs and is currently a mathematics educator in San Jose, CA

Brass Arranger: Scott Boerma: Scott returns for his 7th year as Spirit's brass arranger. Scott is the former arranger for the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps and arranges for many high school and college music programs. Scott is currently the Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Conducting at Western Michigan University

Brass Co-Caption Heads: Errick Prince: Errick is a Spirit Alum (1993) and band director with degrees from Valdosta State University and Jacksonville State University. Errick previously taught at the Cadets Drum & Bugle Corps & Bluecoats Drum & Bugle Corps

Michael Terry; Michael lives in Atlanta and is currently working on his BM in Music Education at Kennesaw State University. Michael previously served as an assistant brass caption head with the Troopers Drum & Bugle Corps

Percussion Arranger: Omar Carmenates: Omar returns for his 4th year with Spirit and previously worked as the front ensemble arranger / coordinator. Omar is the former percussion caption head for the Boston Crusaders Drum & Bugle Corps. Omar is currently an Assistant Professor of Percussion at Furman University in Greenville, SC

Percussion Caption Head: Ben Pyles: Ben returns for his 4th year with Spirit and previously worked as the battery coordinator / quad instructor. Ben is the Percussion Director at Morton Ranch HS in Houston, TX

Drill Designer: Nick Scotella: Nick is the former designer for the Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle Corps, 2008 DCI world champions and Music City Drum & Bugle Corps, Nick currently writes for several prominent High School marching band and indoor programs in Texas

Visual Caption Head: Dan Adams: Dan returns for his 4th year with Spirit and 3rd year as visual caption head. Dan is a full time visual instructor in Southern California and holds a BA in Music Education from CSUSB

Color Guard Coordinator: Rob Jett: Rob returns for his third year with Spirit and previously worked as a consultant for the color guard caption. Rob currently works with several premier programs including: Rancho Bernardo HS, Ayala HS, Arizona State University and Fantasia (Riverside Community College)

Detailed bio's to be posted on the web site at a later date.

While I cannot say I know much about each person other than Rob Jett, Scott Boerma, and Omar, I am just not sure this announcement makes me feel like they are now set to move forward any. I am sure all are capable people, but those on this list I do know are extremely busy people outside of drum corps and not sure how much time they can put into the group. So many corps these days have "full time" designers where designing is all that they do.

For most good corps to move up, they have to pull from people that are currently placing above them, or they pull from people from the top who have stepped away for a few years and are ready to get back in.

The music has been the strongest part of the corps recently. Having two of those arrangers staying is good. Though I have liked the drum line, not sure they can move up without some additional changes there. Visual has been fine, but not as strong as the music side of things. While indoor chops and high school band experience can be good, not sure it gets an 11th place corps into 10th.

Not to down play this slate of staff, I just don't see where the open positions are being replaced with stronger people than those who left.

Also curious to see if they will leave their roots or not.

Best of luck Spirit. I do wish you all the best.

Exciting news not only about JW (excellent choice, btw) but Tom Andrews. Tom actually created the San Jose Raiders WGI dynasty from nearly nothing. At one time, the organization had nearly 100 performers in four winter guard categories: World, Open, A, and Novice. Always cutting edge or innovative shows.

Hey Brass hornline:

Prepare to work, work, work and be accountable for your work with Michael Terry. But also know you will have lots of fun, laughs, care, and concern. Some will remember him as that beautiful Cadets' baritone soloist for so many years. (I think Mikey marched since he was two, ha, ha.) Though he looks like a lepruchan, his heart is where the gold is. That's why Trooper kids were furious that he's not coming back after several seasons of commuting from Atlanta Hartsfield to now snowed in Casper.

I can't wait to hear what a Boerma/Terry line will sound like. (Don't know his twin, co-caption head as well, so no comments but support.)

Be impressive.

• Like 1