Spirit of Atlanta >> New Director <<

Having known JW since my VF days, SoA couldn't have found a better guy for the job. Best of luck, Spirit.

Do me one favor, JW... bring back the delta/baby blues! cool.gif

• Like 1

No announcements yet, but I heard Dr. Snead, their color guard caption head and drill designer resigned. Sounds like a top down overhaul. I haven't heard about brass or percussion staff yet. Could be JW bringing in his own people, or they resigned on their own perhaps expecting changes to happen with a new director. I'm sure we will learn more as it unfolds.

This is my 2nd hand information so take it with a grain of salt . . . Todd did resign on his own. He wasn't forced out by the board but was evidently burnt out on doing primarily the administrative side of things.

Edited by tylercrawford

From a few friends on staff there, I understand that Dr. Snead, the guard caption head, drill designer, and program coordinator all resigned finals week or soon after, and NOT in reaction from pressure to leave. So as the poster in the other thread states, I too think overhaul implies something different than perhaps what is really happening. I am curious as to why that many important people all leave at the same time.

It is usually for personal reasons.

From the baseless speculation department, they may have felt that their work was done and it was time for someone else to tackle the next challenges that the corps will face.

From the baseless speculation department, they may have felt that their work was done and it was time for someone else to tackle the next challenges that the corps will face.

I worry that as more staff resigns, that challenge will get larger. There has to be a reason so many of their head people are

leaving at the same time. I know some corps have had a lot of staff turn over and gotten better, but it is a rare occurrence

in drum corps these days when staff consistency is so important for groups that want to move up.

Best of Luck Spirit.

Edited by mirrormen

I worry that as more staff resigns, that challenge will get larger. There has to be a reason so many of their head people are

leaving at the same time. I know some corps have had a lot of staff turn over and gotten better, but it is a rare occurrence

in drum corps these days when staff consistency is so important for groups that want to move up.

Best of Luck Spirit.

Could be...I don't know enough of inside info to know what or why. Perhaps he has his own ppl in mind...?

Just checking to see if I am correct.

Spirit has lost most of its caption heads. Not yet clear if they have lost all.

Has hired a new director that has had an interesting past.

Has made NO announcements beyond that of hiring a new corps director, adding to the insecurity of members and remaining staff.

AND THEN announces that they are going to sponsor a brand new group they have NEVER sponsored before? They are going to

compete in WGI with a winter guard? Really? Influx of money to maintain the corps and now a winter guard? If so, good for them.

The corps has made great strides getting back into the elite top 12, but have do not seem infallible in that regard,

All of this is starting to concern me a great deal. I hope I am concerned for no reason. Best of luck SOA.

• Like 1

Just checking to see if I am correct.

Spirit has lost most of its caption heads. Not yet clear if they have lost all.

Has hired a new director that has had an interesting past.

Has made NO announcements beyond that of hiring a new corps director, adding to the insecurity of members and remaining staff.

AND THEN announces that they are going to sponsor a brand new group they have NEVER sponsored before? They are going to

compete in WGI with a winter guard? Really? Influx of money to maintain the corps and now a winter guard? If so, good for them.

The corps has made great strides getting back into the elite top 12, but have do not seem infallible in that regard,

All of this is starting to concern me a great deal. I hope I am concerned for no reason. Best of luck SOA.

I must admit I am getting more concerned as well. Having a guard can be a good thing but devided attention is a tricky thing.

With getting into finals and STAYING in, you are right, no small feat. Once getting back in, most fall right back out. Recently,

Madison, Crossmen, Troopers. Yes, Madison eventually got back in and have stayed. Its tough. Really tough. I however do not want

to over react. Like with all the off season talk, more information later will help us know more of what is actually going on.

Yep, Best of Luck Spirit.

Edited by recketscience

In 2011 when Spirit returned to finals, it was thought to be a one time placement, luck in 2012 (real luck, not Lady Luck), but 2013 showed that Spirit was where it belonged and though they did seem to loose some steam around Allentown, they regained it for Indy. While a place in finals is always a good thing, Spirit may need some more momentum for the future, especially if Troopers, Colts, Pacific Crest, Crossmen, and perhaps Oregon Crusaders and Academy pick up where they left off last year. Perhaps a new director and the staff changes that seem to be upcoming will do just that--build momentum. The organization appears to be pretty solid, hopefully the new staff will take the corps to the next level.

• Like 1