dca weekend thoughts

Yes, I find it very dumb to allow the 11th position corps to perform, regardless of if there is an international corps there or not.

I really enjoyed Sun this year when I saw them. I have a lot of respect for the hard work they put in, and this isn't geared to them, rather anyone who is 11th. If you want to perform on Sunday, make the Top 10. After all, what's the logic behind telling the 12 place corps they can't play, but the 1st loser can.

Technically one can also say how can an open class non North American corps bump out a North American corps from a second performance? Personally, I have always felt a non North American corps should have the opportunity to show their wears in prelim competition to see where they stack up; then be proclaimed the International Division Champion and put on a exhibition on finals night, and bump up the next highest scoring North American corps into finals that were displaced in prelims by an international corps.

As a side note, DCA's chartered by-laws (if I recall correctly) are specifically for any qualified North American corps.

I don't know European rules per sie, but I would ascertain any corps not aligning to the vision, qualifications, and stated purpose of their charter(s) would be treated as a non qualifying organization as well; but given the courtesy to compete under similar conditions and provisions as mentioned in my first paragraph.

.....and all that and 60 cents still only gets a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonald's

• Like 2

Personally, I have always felt a non North American corps should have the opportunity to show their wears in prelim competition to see where they stack up; then be proclaimed the International Division Champion and put on a exhibition on finals night, and bump up the next highest scoring North American corps into finals that were displaced in prelims by an international corps.

I actually like that idea a lot. Though this year, no additional corps would have been bumped, as the International Champion wasn't a finalist by score. I'd support this change in the rules 100%.

For years there is no foreign corps, I'd love to see the exhibition corps chosen by the fans from either class. It would be easy to do, and would be a nice reward for a corps that is entertaining, yet might not quite be a finalist. I am not a fan of just letting the leftover Open Class corps play on Sunday.

And let's be honest, if there's really that extra performance spot on Sunday, why not just include a fifth Class A corps in finals? I don't buy into the argument that there's not enough time. After all, the Marines played for what? 25 minutes or more?

• Like 4

How about the highest scoring corps from Wisconsin automatically makes finals?

Looks like those grapes will always be tartan sour, no matter what year.

Technically one can also say how can an open class non North American corps bump out a North American corps from a second performance? Personally, I have always felt a non North American corps should have the opportunity to show their wears in prelim competition to see where they stack up; then be proclaimed the International Division Champion and put on a exhibition on finals night, and bump up the next highest scoring North American corps into finals that were displaced in prelims by an international corps.

As a side note, DCA's chartered by-laws (if I recall correctly) are specifically for any qualified North American corps.

I don't know European rules per sie, but I would ascertain any corps not aligning to the vision, qualifications, and stated purpose of their charter(s) would be treated as a non qualifying organization as well; but given the courtesy to compete under similar conditions and provisions as mentioned in my first paragraph.

.....and all that and 60 cents still only gets a senior cup of coffee at the local McDonald's

• Like 3

Was there an exhibition last year? I remember in 2011, when Bush didn't get in, we played, likely because there were on 11 corps in open, so why not. Last year we were 11th again, but there were 12 corps in open, so I don't think anyone played. I do agree though, there didnt seem to be any logical reason for the 11th place corps to do an exhibition

It was explained elsewhere on DCP, that the original reason for Finals night exhibitions is that in the days of vinyl records, corps shows fit 4 to a disk, so in order to fill out the three record set, AND so they didn't have to record all of Prelims to get the unknown 2 non qualifiers on the record, they added the exhibitions so they could be recorded.

Somehow the multiples of 4 is still being used, but doesn't explain why Bush didn't get an exhibition spot last year, unless there was an Alumini or Mini Corps exhibition I'm forgetting.

Edited by BushDad1213

So work is slow, time for some reviews:

I'll start at the top an work down, and for corps that did both days, I'll comment on both.

Bucs....When I first saw the show I thought they may have bitten off more than they could chew. Even at prelims, I recognized the incredible demands placed on the performer. I heard people saying "it's not hard being on a ladder playing"....bull ####. The Bucs definitely went the thinking mans route with the show this year, and nailed it with the intellectual and aesthtic parts of effect. They had some moments where they hit on the emotional, but the way the musical design flowed didn't allow some of those moments to come out the way they did last year. I felt, especially in Bacchanale they avoided some of the more familiar parts of the song on purpose, and that was ok. Being able to sit and watch the show without taking notes really allowed me to catch a lot of things...little moments and detailing you don't see at the DCA level. I mean who in DCA has the drumline running a crazy serpent drill during a percussion feature, while at most getting to the forte level dynamically? Usually you see thatkind of thing and they're playing a lot of 8th notes and high sticking stuff, not all kinds of flams and diddles.

After prelims I still wasn't sure, and thought maybethe spread between Bucs and MBI was too big. Finals sealed the deal. This was the show Bucs aimed for all year, and they delivered. I mean watching the sequeantial rifle toss while on the ladders, then throwing them to the members behind them, getting down and then trading the rifles for sabers captivated me. I'm a drummer man, guard #### shouldn't be reeling me in LOL! Maybe not my favorite show of the run, but finals night the Bucs left no doubt whatsoever they remain the corps to beat in DCA. When your worst placement caption is 2nd, and you're .2 out in each, that says a lot!

Cabs....Wow. I watched the show on the fan network this summer, and it intrigued me as it was SO un Hathrone, but seeing it live truly made me a believer. The guard was amazing. No, they didn't do as much of the crazy athletic stuff Bucs did, but they spun and tossed their ##### off. I was concerned at prelims visually because of some issues in the bass drums, but the rest of the corps seemed to be moving well, and the brass line was one of the few at the end of the day that didn't seem to let the humidity get to them. Of course Dad was thrilled because they played the Stones, but the music worked....the in and out of Ravel, Loved the old drum used atthe begining and end ( wonder what closet at the Post that thing was stored in)....you could feel that this show was gaining momentum and could be really special.

And Sunday night it was. Saturday the down ending left me a little "eh", but it's cause I couldn't hear what Ponzo was playing. The Bull Call as a down ending? genius? Percussion, who all year I had heard was overwritten came out of nowhere and squarely inserted themselves into the race. This show was one thatin any other year wins. I wasn't sure they'd get MBI...I knew there'd be a spread in guard, but looking at the recap the spread on the communication sheets shows a lot about how Cabs got to 2nd and MBI fell to third. Awesome show, and one I'll disect a lot.

MBI......1st, 3rd, whatever, I loved the show. Percussion trophy was a no brainer. I was shocked when I saw they didn't win prelims. Being a devout Lutheran I loved the way they used the Lutheran nation anthem throughout the show, turning it darker as the forces of evil continued to take over and go Primal. I felt prelims was the better run, and I really dug the role playing the performers had and how they enhanced things. My one concern was the ending felt kinda flat and that it came out of nowhere, and I figured it was just a heat and humidity kind of thing, but this show was truly engaging on all levels.

Sunday....I thought they tried too hard, and it really showed at the ending. The spread in guard was enough to keep Cabs ahead, but the music communication scores were the one spot that surprised me until further reflection.....MBI was technically great Sunday, but I didn't feel a truly Primal passion, more of a forced one, and as such, the score makes so much more sense. Still no slouch of a show, and in no way should MBI be disappointed.

Empire......if there was one corps that I felt shouldn't place where it did all weekend, it was Empire. We can debate on the physical demands being placed on corps, and we will, but looking at what else was out there, I didn't feel had those demands...but because they didn't, #### did they play well. This was show was an Empire fan's dream. Greatest hits from all eras...to be honest, I was expecting more in the way of props and costumes...maybe some old blue tuxes appearing. The screamers up front were an addition, not a distraction. Yeah they had their moments, but they didn't take away from the corps behind them. So many style changes in a show isn't easy...two different types of broadway, swing.....a joy to relive so many great moments of Empire history. When Jimmy played the second solo in the Saigon piece, i was instantly transported back to 97. Hearing the Oz tidbits and My Way....so enjoyable.

Sunday....what did they have to lose? they let it all hang out! Loved the way the backdrops turned to show each tune "closed", and of course the big banner and smoke led to the revelation of the Mr. B. backdrop in his Sinatra pose. I was disappointed in one thing....the crowd's reaction. I wanted bigger, better and louder. Sure if finals had been up north it would have been, but those members laid it all on the line, and gave us one more Statesmen blast...and hey, they ended up 4th. I'm not going to complain. I'm going to savor seeing the show, reliving the great memories, and seeing David drop to a knee at the end one last time....and this time, I won't give David a hard time about it. How he didn't lose it I'll never know.

Cadets2....I said at Reading this was a freight train ready to run away....then prelims hit. the brass didn't project up to where I was. The kids looked and sounded tired. Things that had been crystal clear a week before sounded not as clear. Being up higher gave me a great appreciation of what was being asked of them visually, and the all white made stuff stand out...like a left foot halt for a corps that leads with the right. I did think the percussion had a great show, and being up higher and seeing the Zpull unfurl was breath taking. Of course the much talked about guard issues were really the big issue on the recaps.

Sunday...much, much better show. brass had power, and the energy was back, but it may have been too little too late. The difference between 4th and 5th was the 8th place guard, which had to bleed over into the over visual captions as well. But hey...the last time Cadets did Les Miz they were 5th too, so what can you say? A truly fun show to watch as a fan, and not a total ripoff of 89, but done in ways that kept it fresh and exciting.

Atlanta CV......Where the hell did you guys come from??? Watching you on the Atlanta regional feed, I thought the corps was better than last year, but wow! Now, I'm a sucker for the music of Interstellar Suite, and I loved the irony of seeing Atlanta's other corps do it. A year ago this show was top 5, that's how high the quality was above you. Smooth flowing drill with demand where needed. The music was taken on some twists that those who know the original could know and love, and the use of the giant telescope was tastefully done. Saturday came off as a touch flat, but still an engaging show.

Sunday....Truly the best run of the weekend. Finals energy kicked in, and the corps delivered. Someone near me, who expressed their dislike of the musical choice Saturday was impressed Sunday because the corps came to play. I know I've long been a critic of the percussion, and deservedly so, but this years writing was very musical and supportive of the total package. This is another show I'll enjoy watching over and over again.

Fusion Core.....Bigger and better, and with a deeper show, Fusion still found a way to engage us all with the love story told. Some very great brass moments, and man did the percussion come a long way in a week. Even with being higher up and no amps, the pit scoring came throughand showed how much it did to add a layer of depth to the overal musical package. the battery also had a much better day. The story was easy to follow, and the old couple toned things down even more...and the way they "left us" was tweaked further from Reading, and totally had the crowd ahhhhing. That due's ham....he kept going for kisses, I was waiting for him to grab her ###! I would have lost it!

Sunday...best one of the year. traded captions with CV, and hung in there close with them. Again, what a testament to the talent above them, as this was a ###### fine show. The corps keeps growing in good ways, and the incredible leap the percussion made this year was that next step in the puzzle. I look forwardto seeing where it goes from here.

Bush...Welcome back my friends. Saturday, I sat there mesmerized...catching all of the Bush greatest hit licks especially in the opening statement, to the way you weaved in and out of the backdrops and the banners drawn across them, and of course the cymbal line. I don't watc to give them too much love or it will go to Cameron's head LOL. Wondrred back in July if the corps was trying too much, but the amount of growth in a month plus was amazing. The corps bought into the message and gave us that Bush spirit we had been missing for, IMO, many, many years.

Sunday....Saturday was IMO, the cleaner show. Sunday was the more emotional show. For anyone who had been there through the hard times, it had to be an awesome feeling, and you let it all. Special shout out to Nick and his chipped tooth out there spinning away. Bush, you made a statement this year that you're not dead......but you must look up and see that it's a crowded field with talent in front of you. A climb back to the top will not be easy......butnever give up......I believe, and you are.

Back in a bit with more....

• Like 2

Personally, I have always felt a non-North American corps should have the opportunity to show their wares in Prelims competition to see where they stack up, and then be proclaimed the International Division champion and put on an exhibition performance on Finals night, and bump up the next-highest scoring North American corps into Finals that were displaced in Prelims by an International corps.

I actually like that idea a lot. Though this year, no additional corps would have been bumped, as the International Champion wasn't a Finalist by score. I'd support this change in the rules 100%.

This seems to be the rule in DCI. Taipei Yuehfu placed eleventh in O.C. Prelims but Racine Scouts, who placed thirteenth, still got to compete in Finals.

For years there is no foreign corps, I'd love to see the exhibition corps chosen by the fans from either class. It would be easy to do, and would be a nice reward for a corps that is entertaining, yet might not quite be a finalist. I am not a fan of just letting the leftover Open Class corps play on Sunday.

Nice idea!

Was there an exhibition last year?

No. Marines played before and Star United played after, and that was all.

Thanks Jeff, I always enjoy reading your reviews. Wish we could have caught up...

Teddy

Empire......if there was one corps that I felt shouldn't place where it did all weekend, it was Empire. We can debate on the physical demands being placed on corps, and we will, but looking at what else was out there, I didn't feel had those demands...but because they didn't, #### did they play well. This was show was an Empire fan's dream. Greatest hits from all eras...to be honest, I was expecting more in the way of props and costumes...maybe some old blue tuxes appearing. The screamers up front were an addition, not a distraction. Yeah they had their moments, but they didn't take away from the corps behind them. So many style changes in a show isn't easy...two different types of broadway, swing.....a joy to relive so many great moments of Empire history. When Jimmy played the second solo in the Saigon piece, i was instantly transported back to 97. Hearing the Oz tidbits and My Way....so enjoyable.

Sunday....what did they have to lose? they let it all hang out! Loved the way the backdrops turned to show each tune "closed", and of course the big banner and smoke led to the revelation of the Mr. B. backdrop in his Sinatra pose. I was disappointed in one thing....the crowd's reaction. I wanted bigger, better and louder. Sure if finals had been up north it would have been, but those members laid it all on the line, and gave us one more Statesmen blast...and hey, they ended up 4th. I'm not going to complain. I'm going to savor seeing the show, reliving the great memories, and seeing David drop to a knee at the end one last time....and this time, I won't give David a hard time about it. How he didn't lose it I'll never know.

At this exact point in time it appears some negatives are popping up in regards to the opinion I expressed, it's a free world.

Well, here's another one to chew on; I also do not "personally" believe an adjudicator should be able to go back in after a corps has performed and adjust the number (score) they were initially given/awarded. Especially since this is allowed after other corps have performed.

Example:

Corps A performs, caption number awarded.

Corps B performs, caption number awarded.

Corps C performs, caption number awarded.

The adjudicator is allowed to go back and re-evaluate the number awarded to Corps A, and adjust if so desired.

Two bites at the apple for the adjudicators. If this is the way it's going to continue to be, Corps A should have the opportunity to evaluate the change (if one occurs) and if they (Corps A) do not like the change...they get to perform their show again and pick which of the scores they want. Hence a corps would get two bites at the apple as well.

For God's sake, just several seasons ago a judge was canned for changing scores after the fact!! Now (for the past two seasons) it's part of a standard operating procedure option?

• Like 2