dca weekend thoughts

At this exact point in time it appears some negatives are popping up in regards to the opinion I expressed, it's a free world.

Well, here's another one to chew on; I also do not "personally" believe an adjudicator should be able to go back in after a corps has performed and adjust the number (score) they were initially given/awarded. Especially since this is allowed after other corps have performed.

Example:

Corps A performs, caption number awarded.

Corps B performs, caption number awarded.

Corps C performs, caption number awarded.

The adjudicator is allowed to go back and re-evaluate the number awarded to Corps A, and adjust if so desired.

Two bites at the apple for the adjudicators. If this is the way it's going to continue to be, Corps A should have the opportunity to evaluate the change (if one occurs) and if they (Corps A) do not like the change...they get to perform their show again and pick which of the scores they want. Hence a corps would get two bites at the apple as well.

For God's sake, just several seasons ago a judge was canned for changing scores after the fact!! Now (for the past two seasons) it's part of a standard operating procedure option?

Yes, a recent change that I think runs across the activity. Rather see a number adjusted to better reflect what the adjudicator felt occurred and get the rating and rankings correct than end up with someone over or underscored myself. I;d think most organizations would prefer that as well.

Generally, the adjustments I would wager are .2 or less in any directon.

Also, I'd also bet this happens 5 percent of less of the time with a capable and experienced adjudicator, and likely early in the season. Most of the time, one can make adjustments immediately. Look at the sheet, say... "nope, that's just not quite right..."- and fix it then and there without much of a fuss.

Edited by BigW

I also do not "personally" believe an adjudicator should be able to go back in after a corps has performed and adjust the number (score) they were initially given/awarded. Especially since this is allowed after other corps have performed.

Example:

Corps A performs, caption number awarded.

Corps B performs, caption number awarded.

Corps C performs, caption number awarded.

The adjudicator is allowed to go back and re-evaluate the number awarded to Corps A, and adjust if so desired.

Is this really permitted in DCA?

As far as I can tell from the discussions about "numbers management" in the DCI forums, it doesn't happen in DCI.

Thanks Jeff, I always enjoy reading your reviews. Wish we could have caught up...

Teddy

Would have loved to see you too....maybe a WGI event this winter?

Just because Empire is done, don't stay retired man. You're too good

• Like 1

Is this really permitted in DCA?

As far as I can tell from the discussions about "numbers management" in the DCI forums, it doesn't happen in DCI.

I don't know if DCI does it or not, but looking at the recaps for DCA weekend, I saw very few sub box ties, and the only bottom line ties came about because of averages and the way the math is set up.

Back for a little more....

Hurricanes with their Rage Against the Machine show. I have to be honest, I got the show, but both days it was really tough to keep my attention. I got the machine body work, I got the aggression...in fact I got too much aggression. I'm sure in it's initial design stages, the plan was for the corps to be larger, and while maybe visual was adjusted, I'm not sure musically it was. I saw a lot of visual issues from the performers and given the size of the corps, I questioned some of the staging risks....just screamedto me "we're going for it, even if it fails". It just never seemed to flow in a way that allowed for highs and lows.

Sunday....remember those visual risks? Splitting the battery in two, seperated by the brass led to a really uncomfortable moment musically. Pretty much the music captions kept them ahead of Gold, but again, I found my mind wandering during the show. the performers tried their best, I just think they were the victims of design.

Carolina Gold....A week after seeing it for the first time, the storyline was still hard to follow,and I was up a lot higher. the guard was fantastic, placing 5th at prelims, and clearly helped the other visual sheets. musically, the show just gave me nothing to really latch onto except for the incredible volume their tenor tuning produced. Still better than the corps below them, and I really think if musically they had been more engaging, they could have caught the Hurcs.

Sunday...a better run than Saturday, and the guard was 6th. Their best show of the three I saw, and worthy of finals, but again, just vague enough to keep people from emotionally investing in the show.

Sunrisers.....the key to their season I have heard from several sources was consistency. Young corps, attendance issues...well, Saturday with it looked like everyone there, they showed the Sun is rising again! I had it close between Sun, Golkd and Hurcs, and was surprised at the spread. Looking at the recap though, it seems those inconsistent issues were eventually what did them in. The music grew a lot in quality since I saw them at Downingtown, and the visual theme came across better too.

Sunday...good, solid emotional run. No score, so let er rip, and you did. As others are debating the whys you performed Sunday elsewhere, I'll just let that go here.

Kilties....I would call the show funand entertaining, and the comedy bit with the tall/not tall duet was well received. The corps was smaller than I ever remember, and they did stage some things to help make them look biger without sacrificing sound, but the design just was not up to the level of the other corps around them. I hear people call shows using music of the past retro shows, but this really was one;. This show would ahve worked in the 80's and even most of the 90's. But it's 2013. Visual demand was way behind the rest of the pack, as was percussion performance. I truly want to see the corps succeed, but this current trend of programming is not going to get the job done in today's DCA. Add to it the performance flaws, and it just keeps hanging around where it does. yes it was fun. Yes we knew the music. But, we only got to see it once, and I don't disagree with the judges on that fact.

It was explained elsewhere on DCP, that the original reason for Finals night exhibitions is that in the days of vinyl records, corps shows fit 4 to a disk, so in order to fill out the three record set, AND so they didn't have to record all of Prelims to get the unknown 2 non qualifiers on the record, they added the exhibitions so they could be recorded.

Somehow the multiples of 4 is still being used, but doesn't explain why Bush didn't get an exhibition spot last year, unless there was an Alumini or Mini Corps exhibition I'm forgetting.

The Marine Drum and Bugle Corps opened last year's show with an exhibition.

Unless there's a legitimate reason Heartliner didn't perform Sunday, I think this was a colossal mistake on DCA's part. So many people missed out on a chance to see them. Even DCI sees the value in promoting other groups from other circuits.

And just get rid of the non-finalist exhibition performance.

I agree 100% . I would think they could find 11 min somewhere in the night. Maybe cut out a lot of the wasted time before retreat or something??? Start 11 min sooner? Something?? Its 11 min for Christ sakes.

Its not that hard to figure out.

• Like 1

I liked what they did in 2012 with Star United performing in Exhibition as the Minicorps Champs, and bringing the winning show from Friday to the Sunday crowd is a cool idea that works for me if someone is to be in exhibition.