dca weekend thoughts

Opened or closed? Thought we got there before Finals started but left right after Buccs but didn't see USMC.

But then again... I am 56... :doh::tongue:

Opened the show last year, closed the show this year.

Opened the show last year, closed the show this year.

Thanks Fran... must have come on late or sumthin' then in 2012....

Must have been a bad commute from BWI area.... :ph34r:

ok...digging in....

Tampa bay Thunder...A nice little show taking us through the calendar...hitting the major holidays with music attached to them. Pretty much sold across the board except for an 8th in guard that when you do the math kept them out. Semmed to have a real good blen brass to percussion, but not a lot stoff out to me visually. I know theyhave Phantoms old unis from their "27th" phase, but IMO, those uniforms didn't do a lot for Phantom either. Was actually shocked Windsor beat them, but the recap shows where everything was.

Heartliner.....Up and Away was a nice little show about flight, and while I didn't really reognize the music, it was enjoyable and easy to follow...but very technical and lacking the "oomph" needed to help in GE. It must be a sign of how their hme circuit is....the technicality of it was appreciated, but it never just reached me and pulled me in emotionally. Wish we could have seen them again Sunday

Cincy Tradition...I remember saying when the show announcement of Breakdown came out that i was afraid they were trying too much conceptually, and visually I really didn't get the feeling I was wrong minus one person acting crazy. I know a BD alum loved the "happy Days Are here again" moment, and the corps showed it had some musical chops. It did seem the brass score was lower than the rest of the positions. I did especially like the arrangment of Creep.

High Country Brass...Bond shows can always be fun, and we heard many familiar themes, but it seemed to always be stuck in one gear and it seemed the music effect judges agreed. I was a little surprised they were as far behind Cincy as they were

Excelsior....Ever Upward had Birdland and Pegasus, two classic drum corps songs, and while some individuals had some good moments, I felt the corps was stretched in those two pieces because of size limitations. The Bruno mars piece was catchy, but I felt by then the corps was losing steam, due to the weather and tring to sound bigger in the first mentioned tunes

Shanadoah Sound....what a difference a week makes! Basses using ouffies, battery better with balance to the brass, even with the staging issues I mentioned in previous reviews.Still think they held the tag ending way too long and it hurt

Centruions....unis reminded me of Star 91, but due to size, I felt they really tried to do too much with Firebird, Claire De Lune and Bacchnale. A few horses out there, but they tried too hard to pull the entire cart. Lots of room for potential, they just need to design smart for their size

ok there's DCA 2013. Sorry I didn't get to the alumni show, and while I will watch whatever is broadcast on the fan network next year, I won't be going to Rachacha. I did feel at times that corps are trying too much visually given the schedule, and really only one truly pulled it off. Far better in terms of design for A Class, i.e. people being smart aboutnot trying to do more than they can...not perfect, but better.

Again, the best prelims and finals shows in terms of quality I have seen in year. Thanks to everyone for giving their all on the field this year

• Like 1

ok there's DCA 2013. Sorry I didn't get to the alumni show, and while I will watch whatever is broadcast on the fan network next year, I won't be going to Rachacha. I did feel at times that corps are trying too much visually given the schedule, and really only one truly pulled it off. Far better in terms of design for A Class, i.e. people being smart aboutnot trying to do more than they can...not perfect, but better.

Again, the best prelims and finals shows in terms of quality I have seen in year. Thanks to everyone for giving their all on the field this year

You ever think about pooling your expertise with (for instance) Big W and writing a History of our activity?

I'd read it...

• Like 1

You ever think about pooling your expertise with (for instance) Big W and writing a History of our activity?

I'd read it...

I wrote the piece on Westshore for the DCW history book. The original manuscript sent to Steve Vickers had to be edited, it was so large. It's actually the first page of the Westshore thread, unedited warts and all in the Alumni forum.that was enough. Now I'm mentally prepping to begin season 11 with NJA for the fall.

• Like 1

I wrote the piece on Westshore for the DCW history book. The original manuscript sent to Steve Vickers had to be edited, it was so large. It's actually the first page of the Westshore thread, unedited warts and all in the Alumni forum.that was enough. Now I'm mentally prepping to begin season 11 with NJA for the fall.

A worthy opus.

When you do NJA, leave out my last NJA show, where I drove 7 hours to West Virgina to do Music Analysis on the field. In the middle of one of the really good bands, the young lady judging Music performance walked up to me during a percussion feature and asked (remember, the tapes were running back then - you have to supply your own really marked West Virginia accent) "Should I be judging this?" I was a bit terse with her. I said, simply, "is it music?"

Her reply? "No, it's drumming..."

On my tape you could hear me say, quite clearly, "Get away from me..."

She had EVERY band out of order, by a bunch. The wrong band won the show. I got home around 9am and called Windy and said, "sorry sir, no mas"

After that, just CMBC and Cavalcade (out your way), until I moved up North and did (and still do) MAC in CT.

• Like 1

Totally agree.

More of the Class A corps "got the memo" this year, IMO. More achievable shows, more stuff for the audience to latch onto.

A worthy opus.

When you do NJA, leave out my last NJA show, where I drove 7 hours to West Virgina to do Music Analysis on the field. In the middle of one of the really good bands, the young lady judging Music performance walked up to me during a percussion feature and asked (remember, the tapes were running back then - you have to supply your own really marked West Virginia accent) "Should I be judging this?" I was a bit terse with her. I said, simply, "is it music?"

Her reply? "No, it's drumming..."

On my tape you could hear me say, quite clearly, "Get away from me..."

She had EVERY band out of order, by a bunch. The wrong band won the show. I got home around 9am and called Windy and said, "sorry sir, no mas"

After that, just CMBC and Cavalcade (out your way), until I moved up North and did (and still do) MAC in CT.

Yeah there were an issue or twenty, a lot better now. Every circuit has em