dca weekend thoughts

Maybe, but BigW's reviews contain a lot more factual content :)

Commentary from "John Not The Baptist." :tongue:

• Like 1

thumbup.gif

You guys made me smile over lunch break. I needed that. THANK YOU. satisfied.gif

I've been just thinking about a LOT of what I saw with 23 corps. Work is boring.

at the rate it's taking you to finish 1982 in the Westshore thread, we'll be waiting a while

:tongue:/>

at the rate it's taking you to finish 1982 in the Westshore thread, we'll be waiting a while

:tongue:/>

You guys should definitely push through 1982 - it gets to be a lot of fun in 1983, right?

That's the way I remember it, but I am now 62 so...

• Like 1

:tongue:

I'm hoping I live long enough to read the ending of BigW's story of the 1982 season..... (Who knows if I make it I might reset the goal to read the ending of his 1983 story! w00t.gif)

You guys should definitely push through 1982 - it gets to be a lot of fun in 1983, right?

That's the way I remember it, but I am now 62 so...

I kinda' enjoyed both 82 and 83.... but that might be just me. devil.gif

(BTW, I still have a few feathers left from the 1980 season.... shutup.gif)

*edited fer spellin'

Edited by TennTux

If i recall Westshore was told by Frank ,don't count the Sunrisers out in !982 ,And now its history ,83 we drew 1 on in New Haven ,at Yale Bowl .Two band exbitions frisit one was there.if recall the other pulled in the lot just after Suns warm-up on the field .DCA had us pull the corps off the field n wait out the 2nd band ,i think it was Trumbell Ct.High School who had just come from a Band contest in New London .We waited a good half hour or more before going back on the field .Hard to get the corps hyped again after the long wait .Needness to say we where 2nd to Westshore that night .Got over it and went on to win the next 15 0r 17 shows .Next time we saw Westshore again was the Grand Pix ,in the Meadowlands ,Westshore hadn't been seeing the Big Guns in the Meadowlands in think they where 5th .

When I get to 1983 it won't be pretty. We beat ourselves. The best hornline I ever played in, great moments musically, but we had some new people who brought drama on board where none previously existed and left me very bitter about that year's experience.

I am much more fond of the 6 week 1984 corps because those individuals were NOT present and we enjoyed the camaraderie and work much more that year. Those individuals in question would NOT have been there because we weren't winning, they were what we'd call ringchasers now. They helped sink the boat and in at least one of the cases, moved on and brought their special brand of fun to other organizations.

Yeah, I'm still frowning when I think of those people. One of them, I famously nearly choked to death in my sleep on one of the long bus rides near the end of the season. They deserved it. That individual behaved much better after that happened and stopped mouthing off on the bus to their pal about how everyone in their section stank, most of them being good old friends I respected. All I remember was waking up with a ripping headache, dizzy as heck, unsure where I was, and Jim Neidinger laughing his butt off and telling me what I did. I've never had that happen to me before or since with sleep walking, talking, choking, whatever... :satisfied:

I have a digital copy of 83 DCA, and I still tear up when I listen to that show, especially the last 40 or so seconds. Great Frank Dorritie writing, great Dave Rohrer polish on the horn line. The corps could have been much more than it was.

Before I kick the bucket, I would very much like to play "Love for Sale" from 1983 and the original "All the Things you Are" with the alumni corps once. I know I'll get all boo-hoo-hooy, but I don't care. I love those charts more than anything.

When I get to 1983 it won't be pretty. We beat ourselves. The best hornline I ever played in, great moments musically, but we had some new people who brought drama on board where none previously existed and left me very bitter about that year's experience.

I am much more fond of the 6 week 1984 corps because those individuals were NOT present and we enjoyed the camaraderie and work much more that year. Those individuals in question would NOT have been there because we weren't winning, they were what we'd call ringchasers now. They helped sink the boat and in at least one of the cases, moved on and brought their special brand of fun to other organizations.

Yeah, I'm still frowning when I think of those people. One of them, I famously nearly choked to death in my sleep on one of the long bus rides near the end of the season. They deserved it. That individual behaved much better after that happened and stopped mouthing off on the bus to their pal about how everyone in their section stank, most of them being good old friends I respected. All I remember was waking up with a ripping headache, dizzy as heck, unsure where I was, and Jim Neidinger laughing his butt off and telling me what I did. I've never had that happen to me before or since with sleep walking, talking, choking, whatever... :satisfied:

I have a digital copy of 83 DCA, and I still tear up when I listen to that show, especially the last 40 or so seconds. Great Frank Dorritie writing, great Dave Rohrer polish on the horn line. The corps could have been much more than it was.

Before I kick the bucket, I would very much like to play "Love for Sale" from 1983 and the original "All the Things you Are" with the alumni corps once. I know I'll get all boo-hoo-hooy, but I don't care. I love those charts more than anything.

one of the two I can promise you in January, but with better drum parts

one of the two I can promise you in January, but with better drum parts

:thumbup:

Any of the two would mean a lot to me. Both are fun to play. I think everyone here can think of pieces they've performed that were just fun to perform for people and were ones you couldn't wait to practice. Ones that you knew made the fans smile.

• Like 1