DCI

Stu

Ok all you DCA people who post in the DCI World Class section please reply to the following:

DCI has 23 active top-tier corps

DCA has 12 active top-tier corps

DCI has 14 active second-tier corps

DCA has 11 second-tier corps

DCI has 14 DrumlineBattle and 2 Soundsport groups, (16 total) with Star United being a crossover.

DCA has 4 mini-corps with Star United being a cross over

DCI has way more combined show audience attendance numbers than DCA

Question: Why, then, should DCI follow the lead of DCA?

• Like 6

As asked, your question makes no sense. Follow the lead of DCA in what way? Providing an affordable, weekend only, all-age outlet for corps? Providing shows that skew more towards entertainment than demand, aside from the very top of the top class?

The two circuits provide different services to the drum corps community at large. Rather than one following the others' lead, why not encourage the two circuits to partner even closer than they already do?

This is a public forum, and anyone can post opinions in this thread. Nevertheless, the question was directed at those who are involved with DCA and post here in the DCI Section as to how DCI needs to more emulate DCA; are you associated with DCA?

• Like 2

This is a public forum, and anyone can post opinions in this thread. Nevertheless, the question was directed at those who are involved with DCA and post here in the DCI Section as to how DCI needs to more emulate DCA; are you associated with DCA?

Why yes, yes I am. I've been a member, instructor, alumnus, and fan of DCA for ten years.

• Like 7

Why yes, yes I am. I've been a member, instructor, alumnus, and fan of DCA for ten years.

Ok, then please answer the question: If DCI has more corps in all tier levels, along with higher attendance, then why do many DCA people post on here that DCI should be more like DCA?

• Like 5

Ok, then please answer the question: If DCI has more corps in all tier levels, along with higher attendance, then why do many DCA people post on here that DCI should be more like DCA?

Ahh. A question that actually makes sense.

I have no idea. I don't think DCI should become more like DCA.

DCI already serves, to some degree, as a performance opportunity for all-age corps. DCI is run by paid professionals, while DCA isn't. There's no reason for DCI to stop serving junior corps, or to stop hosting shows during the work week. DCI already shares Fan Network technology with DCA, so it's certainly not that.

I suppose you could make an argument that the DCA judging system rewards more entertaining shows than DCI does, but that's probably subjective (and the DCA system isn't necessarily better, just a tad different). Other than that, I can't think of a single reason DCI should do anything like DCA does.

Now, the corps in DCI could certainly learn a few lessons from DCA corps, but that's not what you asked.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 4

With the small amount of corps left in both....a merger would be best. Both organizations will lose one corps this year (that we know of now). DCA corps can still do weekends, DCI can do there thing but joining forces to promote the activity would be beneficial to both.

When I as a kid in corps (1970's) I heard negative things about "Senior"corps and didn't want anything to do with them. It wasn't until 1990 that I found out it was all the same anyways.

Why not have a show that is on a Saturday with Cadets, Boston, SCV. Reading Buccaneers, Hawthorne,Fusion, and White Sabers? Sounds like a winner to me!

• Like 1

[quote name='KeithHall' timestamp='1378294153' post='3321591'}

Why not have a show that is on a Saturday with Cadets, Boston, SCV. Reading Buccaneers, Hawthorne,Fusion, and White Sabers? Sounds like a winner to me!

Years ago, there were shows with both organizations, ie. American Legion. Not too often now. If this was to happen, what are the chances some fans might skip a DCI only lineup and wait for a show of just DCA or DCI&DCA? Could some fans who never saw DCA, but like their more "fan friendly" shows, start attending fewer DCI only shows?

• Like 1

I almost posted this same thing. I was shocked to see such a small crowd at DCA Championships. I've never been to the Championships and I've only attended 2 DCA shows over the years.

I honestly have not paid much attention to DCA, but I guess I expected huge crowds and a great following the way people talk. I thought it was more entertaining and "real" drum corps?

• Like 3