DCI

Stu

I also wish they had put in a provision for amplifying voice. Many corps in DCA use drum major interaction with the audience. It's not an issue at small, local shows, but gets lost at Championships.

I agree. We need more "personality" drum majors on the DCA side, not fewer. That audience connection is one of the long-standing strengths of that circuit.

Perhaps a rule like this would encourage their development.

This comment really pisses me off.

I know there's people that are really embittered by state of DCI right now (IMO, for both legitimate and illegitimate reasons) and feel like DCA is the closest thing to "real drum corps" (as they see it).

This sentiment is not shared by me, or the overwhelming majority of DCA participants though. DCA is a smaller-scale organization that runs shows featuring all-age drum corps. That's it. If you were really expecting a crowd of 50,000 rowdy old-school drum corps fans rocking out to enormous G-hornlines, I'm sorry you're disappointed. Of course the crowds aren't as big as many DCI shows. IT'S BEEN THAT WAY FOR A LONG TIME.

I started out at DCI and had the same dismissive view of DCA as you seem to show. But when I started teaching and eventually marching with an all-age group, I started to see the value in it. These groups are so much more accessible than your average DCI corps.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect across-the-board excellence at most DCA shows, but I'm always pleasantly surprised by the amount of growth shown by many corps.

Very well-said.

• Like 1

Speaking as a classically trained field ecologist, and as a biology professor, the fact that both DCI and DCA can co-exist suggests that they do not occupy the same niche.

Bill Nye The Drum Corps Guy. :tongue:

Seriously... great point.

• Like 1

.....all I asked was why do many people post that DCI should more emulate DCA (and many have touted DCA over DCI) when by all accounts DCI is more successful?

Define the numerical amount that represents the "many people".

This is one niche' discussion board about a tiny largely unknown (to the masses) niche' activity in a pretty big internet and real world.

I'll take off my shoes just in case I run out of fingers when the list of "many" pops up.

• Like 1

Define the numerical amount that represents the "many people".

This is one niche' discussion board about a tiny largely unknown (to the masses) niche' activity in a pretty big internet and real world.

I'll take off my shoes just in case I run out of fingers when the list of "many" pops up.

Heck, I'd like to see one specific example cited.

Speaking as a classically trained field ecologist, and as a biology professor, the fact that both DCI and DCA can co-exist suggests that they do not occupy the same niche.

Glad you're not that English professor from Michigan State!

This is the case in programs where the band director demands full camp attendance. But it's been my experience that the drum corps kids coming off tour are in better shape, are used to rehearsing effectively, and learn on the fly better than the NDC kids who spent much of the summer glued to their gaming system.

JMO

I have no doubt that you are correct in that assertion.

But...in this day and age, a lot of how school activities are managed are by setting across-the-board policies, so bias and favoritism can't be alleged by parents. What if a child has a conflict due to, say, a Science camp, Model UN, or other non-music activity...or even a music activity not related to drum corps (e.g. Interlochen or another music camp)? If the drum corps member is permitted to miss camp and march, you can be darn sure the parents of the other kid will march on up to the admin and raise holy heck if their child is not permitted to belong because of a different outside conflict. Getting the administration PO'd is not the best way to engender warm feelings about the music program.

• Like 1

Ok all you DCA people who post in the DCI World Class section please reply to the following:

DCI has 23 active top-tier corps

DCA has 12 active top-tier corps

DCI has 14 active second-tier corps

DCA has 11 second-tier corps

DCI has 14 DrumlineBattle and 2 Soundsport groups, (16 total) with Star United being a crossover.

DCA has 4 mini-corps with Star United being a cross over

DCI has way more combined show audience attendance numbers than DCA

Question: Why, then, should DCI follow the lead of DCA?

I'll bite,................many DCI open class corps could/should/would better serve the members of their organizations by going to a 8 weekend only, regional format, culminating in a national championship event, that is not considered the "little kids table" by many........which is all done very well by DCA.

• Like 1