Thoughts of a different sort, from Annapolis.

I think I gave all I had, competatively speaking, back in 1996. I was tired and eager to get in my car and drive home. Viewing the top Corps at DCA Finals, cemented that feeling! I didn't watch all of them. Of those that I did see, this is what caught my attention: Minnesota Brass was amazing to watch. The drill was frenetic! (The equivalent of running around the field at 90 miles an hour with a Volkswagen on your shoulder!) I didn't know what the show was about and trying to figure that out for myself, was difficult.

Empire Statesmen: If there is a right way to retire a drumcorps, we all saw it Sunday night! That show had everything I consider to be what DCA was all about, during my competative days. It's one thing to have a top corps with a few "showmen" who know how to work a crowd. It's quite another, to have a top Corps where ALL the members know how to work a crowd!

Cadets2: I saw a portion of thier competative show. They are a cut above, in style and content and most noticably, in decorum. (During the retreat) The drumline was the standout section of their corps, in my opinion.

Bucs: The ladders caught my attention throughout the show, particularly when they were used

"percussively" at one point. Guard uniforms were interesting. I see a WGI influence in todays corps. (It takes a while for an old guy like me to catch up with current trends) They seemed to manage their drill a bit better than the other corps. All of the Class A Corps have stepped up their game this season, particularly Excelsior. I like the Blues, so I enjoyed Shenendoah Sounds show. Govenairs are still the model for how to do small drumcorps. White Sabers paid attention to that fact and deservedly won. Not many Mini corps this year, but a good show regardless. Ghost Riders played the audience like a violin! I performed in my first Alumni Spectacular show with my "Home Corps" (Steel City Ambassadors). We went on first at 10 a.m. Music from the 1986, 87, 88 and 1989 competative seasons of the corps still resonate in my mind, to this day.

Watching some of the Open Class corps on Sunday night, I realized that even if I had the notion of competing once more, I wouldn't last 30 seconds of the drill. I'd have a heart attack. You gotta know when to throw in the towel. I'm okay with that. So, what caught YOUR eye?

• Like 2

I think I gave all I had, competatively speaking, back in 1996. I was tired and eager to get in my car and drive home. Viewing the top Corps at DCA Finals, cemented that feeling! I didn't watch all of them. Of those that I did see, this is what caught my attention: Minnesota Brass was amazing to watch. The drill was frenetic! (The equivalent of running around the field at 90 miles an hour with a Volkswagen on your shoulder!) I didn't know what the show was about and trying to figure that out for myself, was difficult.

Empire Statesmen: If there is a right way to retire a drumcorps, we all saw it Sunday night! That show had everything I consider to be what DCA was all about, during my competative days. It's one thing to have a top corps with a few "showmen" who know how to work a crowd. It's quite another, to have a top Corps where ALL the members know how to work a crowd!

Cadets2: I saw a portion of thier competative show. They are a cut above, in style and content and most noticably, in decorum. (During the retreat) The drumline was the standout section of their corps, in my opinion.

Bucs: The ladders caught my attention throughout the show, particularly when they were used

"percussively" at one point. Guard uniforms were interesting. I see a WGI influence in todays corps. (It takes a while for an old guy like me to catch up with current trends) They seemed to manage their drill a bit better than the other corps. All of the Class A Corps have stepped up their game this season, particularly Excelsior. I like the Blues, so I enjoyed Shenendoah Sounds show. Govenairs are still the model for how to do small drumcorps. White Sabers paid attention to that fact and deservedly won. Not many Mini corps this year, but a good show regardless. Ghost Riders played the audience like a violin! I performed in my first Alumni Spectacular show with my "Home Corps" (Steel City Ambassadors). We went on first at 10 a.m. Music from the 1986, 87, 88 and 1989 competative seasons of the corps still resonate in my mind, to this day.

Watching some of the Open Class corps on Sunday night, I realized that even if I had the notion of competing once more, I wouldn't last 30 seconds of the drill. I'd have a heart attack. You gotta know when to throw in the towel. I'm okay with that. So, what caught YOUR eye?

If you still have the itch to perform again, why not an Alumni Corps? We (the Caballeros Alumni) are always looking for new (old? lol) talent. We do a full field drill, but not nearly as frenetic as a competitive corps. If you are interested, check the Cabs web site (Cabs.org), click on the Alumni and see our schedule for the next few months. We'd be happy to welcome you to the brotherhood/sisterhood of the 'Bells.

Frank