So I changed my mind

just curious what you thought of Crown's useage if you were privileged to see them live?

Ok, so I went back and dug out my cd of them from this year that I bought at the Mn show. I will be honest in saying I bought it and really never listened. I like to own, and support and then listen somewhere down the road. So, after being asked about their vocals, I went back and gave a wholehearted listen. What I heard at the show and what is on that cd was night and day. I think where I was sitting in the stands caused a lot of vocals to be lost. That said, I really am not a vocal liker. George Dixon will blame this response on my " giving Crown a pass". I think that their vocals were woven so well into the music that, that may also be the reason it didn't override my normal dislike for them during their show. I can actually listen to this cd and not hate it.

Now for people like Goerge who want to blame me for giving them a pass, since they are the new darlings: I must say I get what you want to push. They had a lot of backing to win. My point in how I reacted to their vocals is NOT because of who they are. They weren't even in my top 4 favorite shows this year. Cadets, SCV, Phantom, Scouts, then Cavies.....then Crown. I didn't see a show this year that I didn't at least like. Although I do say it will take a few more viewings of BD to take that in. It was a really great year, and my wallet will take a big hit this Christmas as I buy previous year dvds to see what it was that I missed in my pouting period.

Did he not like trashing hotel rooms ???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :thumbup:

Welcome back... Drum Corps as a whole missed you! It's great your son is into it too... I managed to get mine to march with me for one season in the Renegades... But he just had other things he wanted to do with his time.

I marched in the 80s. I have been on this board before under a different screen name. I swore to God I would never come back, and that I would never go to another show again....AFTER vocals were instituted. The use of the Yowza, and the singing that the Cadets did drove me away. I truly can't watch those shows EVER.

That said. This year my son asked me about taking him to see a show. I relented. We went. I was floored at the sound. I was anti amp, anti electronics, and still HATE vocals, always will, but there is no comparison to what I am hearing out there on that field. We can all debate the songs and them being chopped up bits, etc. I am talking about the beauty of the sound, and how well its woven. I am almost to the point that if DCI wants to try woodwinds, then so be it. I have no doubt some corps will go full on overboard and alienate half of the world with their overuse for a year. Then they will learn how to use them wisely and it will be incredible.

I bought the Cadets pretour cd and am astounded by the sound. If this is what it sounds like with all the changes in place, then change on.

I missed about 5 years of corps over my stubborness. I have some catching up to do.

Amazing post...

Can't think of the right words.

Thanks for that rare (from us BITD types, anyway) opening up on this forum.

I started in 1960. Imagine what I felt when my youngest entered drum corps on synthesizer. Oddly, all I felt was proud.

Keep writing - I for one will keep reading.

• Like 4

OK, now after thinking about this OP's epiphany, I still have to say I don't enjoy these two things prerecorded:

a) singing/chanting

b) recorded instrumental music.

To me, Drum Corps is performance. I love the song "At Last" (especially Etta James' version) but really strongly disliked the two versions I heard this season. If I wanted to hear a recording I'd turn on my iPod. Picture if BD had overdubbed Melissa Ethridge on top of "When a Man Loves a Woman"...

Plus, where does it stop? Do you lay Arturo or Maynard or (pick any top artist) on top of your corps?

you want to sing? I'm all over that - put one of the many talented vocalists that each corps has at a microphone, and let the audience and judges decide.

I don't want Dick Clark or Deutsche Gramophone deciding what version I should like.

It's performance.

Guess I'm more of an old fart that "oldtimefan"

• Like 1

Amazing post...

Can't think of the right words.

Thanks for that rare (from us BITD types, anyway) opening up on this forum.

I started in 1960. Imagine what I felt when my youngest entered drum corps on synthesizer. Oddly, all I felt was proud.

Keep writing - I for one will keep reading.

Thanks. As for your last post on the singing. I found it actually kind of neat, but it lacked a huge punch in the face. It had a cool build and no serious punch. I talk of vocals and actually said maybe hate ( without going back and rereading ). I have listened to the Crown cd now three times today and am actually really getting into the vocals as an instrument to the show. I know, I am sitting as I type this so as not to hurt myself when I hit enter and let people see this revelation. I love, love, love me some Enigma....and this show, or at least this early season recording has a very real Enigma feel to it. The musicality is truly unreal. That said, the old Blue Devil show with Yowza is like a dental drilling without novacaine. i don't know that I will ever be able to go back and relisten objectivly, but I owe it to myself to try it one last time. What else is there to refind????? So glad my kid wanted to see the show this summer. I had written off corps and had quit donating. I was good for over 1000 every year in donations to corps. time to start that up again. Best part is my employer matches every donation. In case some of you old drum corps planet members care, my old dc planet moniker was 84ryder, or 84skyryder. Can't remember for sure. Its been awhile, and yes, you win. I am back.

Edited by oldtimefan

I marched in the 80s. I have been on this board before under a different screen name. I swore to God I would never come back, and that I would never go to another show again....AFTER vocals were instituted. The use of the Yowza, and the singing that the Cadets did drove me away. I truly can't watch those shows EVER.

That said. This year my son asked me about taking him to see a show. I relented. We went. I was floored at the sound. I was anti amp, anti electronics, and still HATE vocals, always will, but there is no comparison to what I am hearing out there on that field. We can all debate the songs and them being chopped up bits, etc. I am talking about the beauty of the sound, and how well its woven. I am almost to the point that if DCI wants to try woodwinds, then so be it. I have no doubt some corps will go full on overboard and alienate half of the world with their overuse for a year. Then they will learn how to use them wisely and it will be incredible.

I bought the Cadets pretour cd and am astounded by the sound. If this is what it sounds like with all the changes in place, then change on.

I missed about 5 years of corps over my stubborness. I have some catching up to do.

For some reason I got choked up reading this.

• Like 3

Probably because of it being Madison's 75th, I ended up going to 6 performances this year including all three DCI Championship rounds, more than I've gone to in many years.. I have to say that my mind has been brought around as well at least partially. The corps seem to have found the "sweet spot" for Amps and singing and being in Lucas Oil brought out a deep rich sound like I've never heard before. I readily attribute that to the presence of synths on the bottom, but the brass sound just gets better every year and while I think g's produce more sound, I'm over it now and would prefer the beautiful much better tuned and balanced sound of a Bb line. In fact G lines are becoming almost unbearable for me to listen to now.

I'm still of the opinion that the activity has been co opted by a few powerful figures for their and their own groups benefit and that it is leading to the eventual melding of DCI into the Marching Band world, but I cannot deny the music is so much better now. In fact I find that I dont even need to see the visual anymore, audio recordings are sufficient.

• Like 2

For some reason I got choked up reading this.

I was close!

I was close!

Here is the honest to God secret, and for those of you who believe in nothing, here is you honest to nothing sake answer. I typed this all shortly after chopping red onions. Forgot to wipe the hands clean. My bad and am very sorry for the confusion. Thanks to all who read and accepted the post. It is from the heart and honest. I am looking forward to Xmas and the dvds to rrive. I have a few seasons to be buying.