So I changed my mind

Though I agree that CC this year got hammered on DCP for some design features of their show .....be honest....you didn't hear the level of hyperbole that was pointed at BD (08-13) or Cadets (07-08)?

We sure did in 2004. Crown was the first to make entensive use of amplified voice, performing with amplified singers in one song, and staging an entire drum solo with beat poetry recited throughout. The hair-on-fire reactions I heard in person and online were right up there with "drum corps died in 1971".

Today, in year 10 of amplified voice, it is pretty clearly here to stay, so complaints no longer reflect the hyperbolic desire to repeal the change. But the quantity of complaining remains in proportion to the extent of usage. Crown used a lot of amplified voice in 2013, and they received a lot of negative comments about it.

I'm not requesting the trashing any corps ....quite the contrary...but, I'm just suggesting that George is mostly accurate in his statement.

Sorry, but he is dead wrong. Crown has never gotten "an instant pass on everything". Not in 2004. Not in 2007, when people jumped all over them the instant they added that racetrack commentary. And not in 2013. In your own words, Crown got hammered here this year. I rest my our case.

Though I agree that CC this year got hammered on DCP for some design features of their show .....be honest....you didn't hear the level of hyperbole that was pointed at BD (08-13) or Cadets (07-08)? I'm not requesting the trashing any corps ....quite the contrary...but, I'm just suggesting that George is mostly accurate in his statement.

Back to the topic...I applaud the OP. There's lots of room for different in DCI, and if we just give design ideas a chance without over-reacting.. we might learn to like it....and maybe even love it!

We sure did in 2004. Crown was the first to make entensive use of amplified voice, performing with amplified singers in one song, and staging an entire drum solo with beat poetry recited throughout. The hair-on-fire reactions I heard in person and online were right up there with "drum corps died in 1971".

Today, in year 10 of amplified voice, it is pretty clearly here to stay, so complaints no longer reflect the hyperbolic desire to repeal the change. But the quantity of complaining remains in proportion to the extent of usage. Crown used a lot of amplified voice in 2013, and they received a lot of negative comments about it.

Sorry, but he is dead wrong. Crown has never gotten "an instant pass on everything". Not in 2004. Not in 2007, when people jumped all over them the instant they added that racetrack commentary. And not in 2013. In your own words, Crown got hammered here this year. I rest my our case.

Well.. remember that Plan sees pretty much all commentary on BD (sans outright praise) as "hammering". ph34r.gif

• Like 2

Well.. remember that Plan sees pretty much all commentary on BD (sans outright praise) as "hammering". ph34r.gif/>

CB, remind me again of the meaning of that emoticon you're using with the eyes and dark areas above and below.....is it a Ninja or some troublemaker peeking through the blinds? ph34r.gif/>

Edited by Plan9