When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

For the past 7 years Minnesota Brass through great financial expense and member time used has traveled eastward mid-season to perform and compete against corps that we used to not see until finals. The results of that are a rather mixed bag. On one hand, that mid-season show often isn't the best product we can give due to various travel related factors, but on the other hand it's hard to argue the fact that our placements have remained fairly high since we started the consistent early season trips in 2007 (no trip in 2008).

I know we have some financial genius' as part of our administration who are able to wrangle 3 (if you include Racine) significant trips out of our budget every single summer and still are able to keep our dues and member expenses to a reasonable level, but surely some other corps can do the same. Will a Eastern corps ever come this direction?

Add Florida (Sun Devils or Heatwave and Corpsvets)

Renegades in CA too

Last time DCA corps were in Midwest was Cru in Madison or Whitewater. Was any othe east corps at that show?

Add Florida (Sun Devils or Heatwave and Corpsvets)

Renegades in CA too

Last time DCA corps were in Midwest was Cru in Madison or Whitewater. Was any othe east corps at that show?

It was at Madison in "99" and Brigs and Cru were there for sure. In 2007, Empire, CorpsVets, Govies, Brass and Kilties (for sure) met up in Salem, Ohio.

The Kilts typically traveled to one east show most every year up through 06, with 07 being in Salem, Ohio as the furthermost point east that season. Have stayed in the Midwest during the season since 08.

I completely agree that it's high time corps like Reading and Hawthorne at the very least make a trip to another region. It makes perfect sense for Reading to travel to Minnesota, and for Hawthorne to perhaps go south. Yes, I understand the financial aspects of such a trip, but as has been pointed out in previous posts, the non-Northeast corps do it every year, many multiple times.

If the Northeast corps really have "the good of the activity" at heart, it's important that they back it up with action.

Agree. the last time anyone travelled was Winston Salem in 05. It's time someone rolls the dice. I know the ride from Harrisburg to Chicago sucked in 89, but we did it.

I completely agree that it's high time corps like Reading and Hawthorne at the very least make a trip to another region. It makes perfect sense for Reading to travel to Minnesota, and for Hawthorne to perhaps go south. Yes, I understand the financial aspects of such a trip, but as has been pointed out in previous posts, the non-Northeast corps do it every year, many multiple times.

If the Northeast corps really have "the good of the activity" at heart, it's important that they back it up with action.

I think every corps in DCA has "the good of the activity" at heart but they also have the good of their corps at heart first and it should be that way. It all comes down to $$$$$. I'm sure Reading, Hawthorne, Bush, and Hurricanes would happily venture south or west if it were financially possible. Kudos to MBI for being able to that. They must have financial wizards keeping their books.

• Like 2

Agree. the last time anyone travelled was Winston Salem in 05. It's time someone rolls the dice. I know the ride from Harrisburg to Chicago sucked in 89, but we did it.

I agree that this must again happen... but... it takes the right alignment of the stars and moon...

You mention the Chicago Trip in 89 and as you well know I was chief judge that day... and it was a DISASTER... wonderful show, great corps, top judging panel, paid attendance of what? 25? 50?

Someone smarter than I has to figure out how to make this happen and with travel costs going up each year it becomes a larger challenge with time...

I'm thinking that the only real opportunity is either Atlanta or Racine... and even then it requires some sort of financial backing - read: Corporate or Municipal Sponsorship which will pay the corps expenses and allow for a reasonable admission price to attract the public...

HUGE DAUNTING TASK

• Like 2

You have to have the Northeasterner's perspective:

When Hawthorne travels to Philadelphia they've traveled to another region.

I used to work with a senior corps (that shall remain nameless) that would have 50 ankle bracelets start alarming when they went over the George Washington Bridge...

It's all perspective.

Keep traveling MinniBrass. We all love you! Plus you're missing those Robin sized mosquitoes while you're back East.