When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

Seems to me MBI has it's act together. Why not have them hold clinics for the other Corps and startups in an effort to make everyone stronger. For that matter, I'm sure the Renegades have some good ideas on how to develope and market a brand. I've heard Chops Inc. does some creative stuff to maximize funds from parades.

Share the recipe for success.

Kilts have an annual project as well (which also features the final performance of the 2013 edition of the Kilties):

http://greatlakesbrewfest.com/main.html

My point in posting the summary of the 990's of the top five corps was not to demonstrate that the eastern corps really can't afford to travel.

It was to demonstrate that - in my opinion - they really need to start changing their business model so they CAN travel in the future. If MBI can continue to amass that much money and actually make a profit in a down economic year it shows that ANY DCA corps can do the same. To continually teeter on the fiscal cliff is what's wrong. It won't guarantee longevity no matter how good the corps is. We've seen that in many corps that have disappeared.

While "past results is no guarantee of future performance"...the two corps being mentioned the most to travel are the Cabs (started in 1946) and Bucs (1957), so longevity is not really an issue. :smile:

My own thought is that part of WHY they have such long and storied histories is precisely because they do know how to operate the business sides of their corps.

• Like 2

While "past results is no guarantee of future performance"...the two corps being mentioned the most to travel are the Cabs (started in 1946) and Bucs (1957), so longevity is not really an issue. :smile:

My own thought is that part of WHY they have such long and storied histories is precisely because they do know how to operate the business sides of their corps.

And possibly learning to change as the world changes around them.

My guess is the "most travel" includes VFW (Buccs) and AL (Cabs).

Last VFW Sr show was 1962 (corrected) and last long distance AL show Cabs was as was pre-1978 (too busy to look right now).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

A short term way to spread the DCA brand outside of the northeast may best be served to a DCI Regional crowd in say Atlanta. Have a limit of 3 DCA corps (minimum for a DCA sanctioned show) so fans get introduced to DCA and to corps outside of that particular region. Instead of say Minnesota Brass going out east they could perform at the regional in Atlanta. The next year or same year say CorpsVets could do the same and travel up to DCI-Minnesota. One year travel could be to Denver or California by other non-eastern corps to continually grow the brand outside of the northeast. The idea is that you can introduce DCI fans to DCA in a considerably safe way to the largest audiences to generate interest in DCA and DCA shows outside of the northeast. Ideally then northeast corps would have time to consistently generate enough revenue to travel outside their region to other DCA shows. Or maybe I'm just crazy and none of this makes sense...

Then you lose the incentive for those corps to travel long distance. Sure, its helping spread the DCA brand (which is the argument here) but do you think MBI travels just to be nice? No. They travel to go head to head with corps of their caliber and to get a mid season read by DCA judges. Same can be said for CV. No coincidence that one of these corps is holding strong at the top and the other is on the move.

If you take away that DCA show and make them do a DCI regional with few DCA corps and DCI judges... whats that really going to accomplish for their competitive success? Not to mention corps that travel far tend to have holes for the first trip... what kind of message is that going to send the DCI fan base when they watch a corps with 5-10 holes.

Im more into the idea of working in an Ohio show at some point. Yes there would need to be creative marketing and there would be risk but its a decent middle ground for corps to meet up mid season. Then again... I might just be selfish in hoping to have a DCA show in my backyard. :tongue:

• Like 1

And possibly learning to change as the world changes around them.

My guess is the "most travel" includes VFW (Buccs) and AL (Cabs).

Last VFW Sr show was 1963 and last long distance AL show Cabs was as was pre-1978 (too busy to look right now).

:ph34r:

How about '75 Jimmy boy?

Right here in the Minnie-apple..I flew home from Seattle (Ft. Lewis) just to see that show..It was the same night as DCI in Philly. Prelims were about 3 blocks from the house I grew up in, and finals were at Parade Stadium, at the time about the only facility in the area that could seat over 5K (8K on each side)That was the last time an eastern DCA corps came this far west..The next year they were in Denver and I think only a couple of corps went..Govies and '76.

Pat

Edited by goalieguy

How about '75 Jimmy boy?

Right here in the Minnie-apple..I flew home from Seattle (Ft. Lewis) just to see that show..It was the same night as DCI in Philly. Prelims were about 3 blocks from the house I grew up in, and finals were at Parade Stadium, at the time about the only facility in the area that could seat over 5K (8K on each side)That was the last time an eastern DCA corps came this far west..The next year they were in Denver and I think only a couple of corps went..Govies and '76.

Pat

Got on Ron Allards site and right you are buddy (with a years delay :tongue: )

.... Note: I'm only showing the Sr side

American Legion National Championships

August 16, 1975

Minneapolis, Minnesota

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 89.30

2 Rhode Island matadors 82.90

3 Rochester Crusaders 82.00

American Legion National Championships

August 20, 1977

Denver, Colorado

Seniors:

1 Spirit of '76 67.20

2 Governaires 59.50

Noticed 1976 was missing so googled.... 1976 was in Seattle and apparently no Sr corps.

Weirdly last two Sr corps who did long distance for AL were Chicago Connection and Westshoremen at 1978 New Orleans (holy crap, I'm a trivia answer). No Srs at 1979 in Houston, 1980 was at Boston and that was the last AL Nats held with the Convention.

Double wierd trivia.... IIRC this was the only National AL that Westshore and ChiConn ever went to. Westshore did (and won) VFW Nats in the early/mid 1950s but no Nats of any type in between.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Then you lose the incentive for those corps to travel long distance. Sure, its helping spread the DCA brand (which is the argument here) but do you think MBI travels just to be nice? No. They travel to go head to head with corps of their caliber and to get a mid season read by DCA judges. Same can be said for CV. No coincidence that one of these corps is holding strong at the top and the other is on the move.

If you take away that DCA show and make them do a DCI regional with few DCA corps and DCI judges... whats that really going to accomplish for their competitive success? Not to mention corps that travel far tend to have holes for the first trip... what kind of message is that going to send the DCI fan base when they watch a corps with 5-10 holes.

Im more into the idea of working in an Ohio show at some point. Yes there would need to be creative marketing and there would be risk but its a decent middle ground for corps to meet up mid season. Then again... I might just be selfish in hoping to have a DCA show in my backyard. :tongue:

I think both you and Scott are in the right ballpark..I like the idea of piggy-backing the addition of 3 or more DCA corps to a DCI regional, kind of like what we do here at DCI Minnesota..MBI and Govies perform at that show each year, but usually it's very early in the rotation..somewhere between the Open class and World class, with the exception that MBI has been granted the opportunity these last 2 years to "close" the show after the "Big Boys" are done and the tabulators start their work. Henceforth, they DO NOT get sheets from the panel, but I believe they get tapes. Govies, however DO. If Chops can get permission from DCI to perform, that'll make the 3 corps needed to "sanction" the show with DCA.. :thumbup:

Now I will admit there are some obstacles to overcome, it COULD begin something for the South as well. I'd like to see something in Ohio - like previously suggested..The GLASS BOWL or Canton, or heaven forbid CLEVELAND..If it were logistically feasible, I'd say HORLICK!!!1 My concern there is whether or not the streets are going to be in full bloom around the Stadium as I understand the case was at this year's Kiltie Klassic.

I would like to point out that many of the DCA judges do both types of shows, and at least what we have seen at the DCI shows we have been to, the panels seem to know how to work the DCA sheets pretty well. I haven't heard any complaints to the competence of the DCI guys/gals using the newer DCA sheets.

I speak for myself only here folks, but I wouldn't mind looking into that Atlanta regional idea of Scott's...CV, MBI, Alliance & Sun Devils and maybe another might be another 4 corps slate to get a DCA type sanction..

I guess it could almost be like the old Dream and Hershey shows where you have BOTH circuits represented..I certainly couldn't see it "hurting" attendance, and it puts a little more value on the quality of the performance, with or without holes.

DCI fans should be able to gain a little DCA 'education' about how good 'part-time' Drum Corps can be..Jeez, they might even be entertained by what they see and hear.

The nay-sayers will probably ka-bosh this type of idea, since as MikeD seems to think, the "guys on top" who have LONGEVITY have been able to run the business end in order to keep that longevity..It's a bit easier to do that when your scope is much smaller than the folks who have reached beyond to see the proverbial "big picture".

Skeptic and Reese0316 might be onto something... Or maybe they're ON something :worthy:

OOPS - double post..my bad

Edited by goalieguy

OMG - triple post...I don't ever remember doing a DOUBLE - much less a THREE- FER

Edited by goalieguy
  • Like 1

.......If it were logistically feasible, I'd say HORLICK!!! My concern there is whether or not the streets are going to be in full bloom around the Stadium as I understand the case was at this year's Kiltie Klassic.

One street was under construction (Memorial, should be all done now); the other two streets and one blvd. that actually surround Horlick were fine. In addition, all the corps park and warm-up a short block away at Gilmore Middle School. AND Demark's Bar is only 1/2 block away. BTW, Demark's has selections of tunes on their jukebox of the Kilties (tunes covering several eras, actual recordings)...... :thumbup: