When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

:ph34r:

IMHO - MBI, Kilties, Govies and Chops(provisionally optimistic) would have somewhere between 25 & 40K extra in the bank that they could use to let everyone watch Prelims on the Fan Network, while "giving the opportunity" to those other corps from the core area that normally wouldn't make Finals - to make finals and maybe have more fun.

Brass would probably have 'just another August' like they've had for years..maybe doing some additional fund-raising, gee And CV and Sun Devils can try and schedule more parades to add to their coffers.

My question, "what would they have?", was predicated on two concerns. If every non-Northeastern all-age corps decided to boycott Northeastern DCA events:

a. What would they have for events? Would they organize their own nationwide championship event? Additional regional events?

b. What would they have for membership? Are current corps members attracted by the habitual voyage to DCA Championships? Are potential members on the fence specifically because of the financial or time commitment involved in that trip? Saving money on the trip will do little good if there is no corps left to enjoy the savings.

Was not expecting this idea to gather supporters, but if so... make a case for it by addressing these concerns.

Half an hour north, you have Milwaukee. Half an hour south, the Illinois border - with Kenosha in between. There are a LOT of facilities in that area, and a healthy drum corps history with groups such as Pioneer, Madison, Racine Scouts, the Kilts... and that's all within 70 miles or so. Extend a bit farther and you're in the home turf of Phantom and the Cavaliers.

Short answer, yes. Bit longer answer: the Kilties' DCA show each year pretty much sells out, even though the fans are only seeing the same **** corps they've seen the previous few years. Add additional draws to that, and you'll improve attendance and reputation. It won't happen soon, but it will happen.

And I'll say that while "building the circuit" is an admirable goal, it takes a LOT less money for an Eastern-area corps to travel once to the midwest than it does to start, build, and maintain an excellent DCA corps in the midwest. And that's only one dimension of doing so - membership and such is another beast altogether.

In the end, though, it seems this argument is going in circles. Midwest (and other region!) corps are tired of feeling like they're footing the bill for expanding DCA's presence outside the east coast, and East-coast corps are tired of hearing they should spend money they don't have for an altruistic (and likely fiscally unsound) endeavor. Until we can change one or the other of those, this issue will just go around and around and around...

well, then I suggest Racine submit a bid. Get their tourism bureau involved, go all out. closest corps to Annapolis is Shenandoah Sound or Reading, not exactly neighbors, and they got it done.

IMHO - MBI, Kilties, Govies and Chops(provisionally optimistic) would have somewhere between 25 & 40K extra in the bank that they could use to let everyone watch Prelims on the Fan Network, while "giving the opportunity" to those other corps from the core area that normally wouldn't make Finals - to make finals and maybe have more fun.

Brass would probably have 'just another August' like they've had for years..maybe doing some additional fund-raising, gee And CV and Sun Devils can try and schedule more parades to add to their coffers.

I possibly see that since I understand there is a hotel room minimum at Championships - it might become more costly for those corps coming. Might have to pony up more money for their rooms, and at that point - the show would probably be the shortest (or not) finals in history. They might actually go back to having all of those "extra" awards to stretch the time frame out till midnight or 1:00am...

I have other questions about that type of scenario, but I'm not going to allow myself to stoop to asking them - many folks will already know the questions and answers I'd be asking.. :devil:

Pat

chicken

:bleah:

chicken

:bleah:

I don't need to add fuel to what already is a 30+ year nightmare for some of us..I'm getting too old to watch people bury their heads in the sand..The answers haven't changed in all these years..

:worthy:

well, then I suggest Racine submit a bid. Get their tourism bureau involved, go all out. closest corps to Annapolis is Shenandoah Sound or Reading, not exactly neighbors, and they got it done.

Not something I'm interested in. I'm just tired of the assertions-posed-as-questions that the IL-WI-MN area has no facilities or fan base for a drum corps show. If DCI Finals can succeed in Madison, so can DCA in Wisconsin.

And hell, in terms of socioeconomic status, Racine is pretty close to Rochester - just lacking a Dinosaur

• Like 1

BUT MATT- Rochacha will NEVER have a Kewpies', right? They'd have to ship the Lehman's Kringles in too.. :worthy:

Kinda like White Castle... :whistle:

Pat

• Like 1

BUT MATT- Rochacha will NEVER have a Kewpies', right? They'd have to ship the Lehman's Kringles in too.. :worthy:

Kinda like White Castle... :whistle:

Funny, you mention that but after 7 years of spending various amounts of time in Racine I still haven't been to Kewpie's :tongue: - the Kringles, though... :thumbup:

And there's a White Castle about an hour away in Gurnee, for the intrepid :-P

Edited by Matt Billock

I don't need to add fuel to what already is a 30+ year nightmare for some of us..I'm getting too old to watch people bury their heads in the sand..The answers haven't changed in all these years..

:worthy:

I see both sides. if I were running a corps, I wouldn't be opposed. But I'll be honest, I haven't seen a ###### thing in this thread that sells the idea.

Not something I'm interested in. I'm just tired of the assertions-posed-as-questions that the IL-WI-MN area has no facilities or fan base for a drum corps show. If DCI Finals can succeed in Madison, so can DCA in Wisconsin.

And hell, in terms of socioeconomic status, Racine is pretty close to Rochester - just lacking a Dinosaur

I asked because honestly, I don't know the area. I don't know what they have outside of Camp Randall and downtown Madison out there. That's, IMO, the town you should be going after

• Like 1

Still think Las Vegas would be a great place to hold Championships

Lots of hotel and other fun things to do :thumbup:

• Like 1