When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

This brings up a point that bothers me a little. I think DCA should make it a point to YEA that in order for C2 to be a member, they can't shut other DCA corps out of shows,

Can you clarify: what shows are DCA corps being shut out of?

AND they should also allow other DCA corps set up recruiting tables at YEA-run USBAND shows as well. They don't stop it at local shows completely, but I've heard they don't approve of it either.

As Kamarag says, this rule would have to be fairly applied to all corps, e.g.: "If a DCA corps or a DCA corps' parent organization runs a marching band show, then other DCA corps must be allowed to have recruiting booths present". And would that be at no charge? At the same rate as is charged to other vendors?

So, you want to create rules that restrict C2 that don't apply to other DCA corps? How is that fair?

Well taken, John.

Remember, for YEA! to bring a DCA corps to one of it's DCI contests in exhibition, they'd have to provide an appearance fee. Like that would happen. Riiiight. :satisfied:

As for recruiting, there are other ways to skin that cat. There are two fairly large circuits that compete in Bush's recruiting region where they could set up a recruiting stand or six this fall if they chose to, and likely draw from more of the demographic they're looking for that are **not** YEA! affiliated band circuits. Bucs and Cabs use those opportunities, believe me, and have for years- as do Jersey Surf- But I've never seen Bush represented at those contests. If they have appeared, correct me if I'm wrong- but if they're not hitting those circuits this fall, they're missing out on opportunities to meet good kids who might be interested. They need to reach out in that direction.

IMHO, yah gotta let YEA! play their game, do what they do in the way they do it, work other angles, and not be concerned with them. If you run a good operation that's not trying to suck money out of everyone's wallets like a black hole, provides a good service to its membership, and you emphasize what YOU can and will do do and provide, not what they DON'T do... you'll present very, very well. :satisfied:

Edited by BigW

This brings up a point that bothers me a little. I think DCA should make it a point to YEA that in order for C2 to be a member, they can't shut other DCA corps out of shows, AND they should also allow other DCA corps set up recruiting tables at YEA run USBAND shows as well. They don't stop it at local shows completely, but I've heard they don't approve of it either.

Why? How is it fair to hold one group to a different set of standards than all of the others in the circuit? if YEA! hosts a DCI show, why should they be forced to accept any and all DCA corps that decide they want to perform? YEA! has given the Bayonne alumni corps the opportunity to perform at their DCI shows.

And...if YEA! is sponsoring a USBands show (not a local show), you think that they should HAVE to allow any DCA corps that desires a table to have one at their show, in order to participate in DCA? I know DCA corps have tables at local USBands shows. I have seen a number of DCA corps with tables at various local shows; my guess is the host band doesn't need YEA! to approve such a table, nor should they.

• Like 1

Well taken, John.

Remember, for YEA! to bring a DCA corps to one of it's DCI contests in exhibition, they'd have to provide an appearance fee. Like that would happen. Riiiight. :satisfied:

As for recruiting, there are other ways to skin that cat. There are two fairly large circuits that compete in Bush's recruiting region where they could set up a recruiting stand or six this fall if they chose to, and likely draw from more of the demographic they're looking for that are **not** YEA! affiliated band circuits. Bucs and Cabs use those opportunities, believe me, and have for years- as do Jersey Surf- But I've never seen Bush represented at those contests. If they have appeared, correct me if I'm wrong- but if they're not hitting those circuits this fall, they're missing out on opportunities to meet good kids who might be interested. They need to reach out in that direction.

I am pretty sure I've seen a Bucs table at local USSBA shows in the past, in PA, though we have not gone to PA local shows recently, so I do not know the current situation. I know I have seen the Cabs recruit at Piscataway, and Fusion Core at North Brunswick a few years back when my band was at both USSBA/USBands shows.

I am pretty sure I've seen a Bucs table at local USSBA shows in the past, in PA, though we have not gone to PA local shows recently, so I do not know the current situation. I know I have seen the Cabs recruit at Piscataway, and Fusion Core at North Brunswick a few years back when my band was at both USSBA/USBands shows.

GOOD. Not every corps or band circuit is for every organization, and It's important kids realize in this region they have many choices to find a place in DCA where they'll be happy and part of something great.

I want every kid to feel like I do 30 years later in their lives- when I go to Westshore Alumni practice, they keep the seat on the left end open for me just like they did BITD. I know I am HOME, and I have somewhere I BELONG and am PROUD of. Wherever that corps is for that kid, I want them to be there. :satisfied:

This brings up a point that bothers me a little. I think DCA should make it a point to YEA that in order for C2 to be a member, they can't shut other DCA corps out of shows, AND they should also allow other DCA corps set up recruiting tables at YEA run USBAND shows as well. They don't stop it at local shows completely, but I've heard they don't approve of it either.

Well..YEA is a private organization, so they can do what they want. Honestly, I dont think DCA SHOULD make them do anything of the sort. Encourage it yes, but holding a gun over their heads is actually making a potentially touchy situation worse. We all saw 2 weeks ago Hop isn't above playing the victim online to garner support.

Sure, like with traveling there's that whole "for the good of the activity" thing, but YEA is legally justified in doing it how they are.

I mean I know of a competing circuit to USBands that has refused their requests to set up Cadets stuff at their championships.

Well taken, John.

IMHO, yah gotta let YEA! play their game, do what they do in the way they do it, work other angles, and not be concerned with them. If you run a good operation that's not trying to suck money out of everyone's wallets like a black hole, provides a good service to its membership, and you emphasize what YOU can and will do do and provide, not what they DON'T do... you'll present very, very well. :satisfied:

I can't speak for appearing at Cavalcade of Bands, but Bush has been at ACC's for TOB on many occasions.

So, you want to create rules that restrict C2 that don't apply to other DCA corps? How is that fair?

Not sure how you think it "restricts" C2, when their parent organization is doing the restricting.

No other corps in DCA has direct ties to High School marching band competitions, that I know of, and most schools in other competing organizations, and the sanctioning bodies(TOB, Cavalcade, etc) do not allow one corps to recruit, while discouraging, or flat out blocking others.

OK two clarifications:

1-Jeff said that most DCI shows in the area are run by YEA, so IF there was to be a DCA corps at one of these shows it would most likely ONLY be C2 and others would be shut out.

2- Yes Bush and other corps recruit at many TOB and Cavalcade shows and have gotten into a couple LOCAL(host school) run USBANDS shows.

However, if you go to Met-Life for the YEA run USBANDS championships, the ONLY DCA corps allowed to recruit there is C2.

Sure, it's legal and maybe it's not for DCA to decide, but it does rub me the wrong way a bit.

Edited by BushDad1213

OK two clarifications:

1-Jeff said that most DCI shows in the area are run by YEA, so IF there was to be a DCA corps at one of these shows it would most likely ONLY be C2 and others would be shut out.

Very few YEA shows are run on Saturday nights. In fact, I can only think of one instance where where one was on a Saturday, and it was early season. Coincidentally, there were DCA shows running already that night. C2 has performed at YEA shows that weren't on Saturday (the 2012 Jackson, NJ show). I doubt very much any other DCA corps were knocking on the door to perform mid-week.

So why don't you provide an example of one time YEA shut out DCA corps from performing at one of their shows in the last two seasons, one where C2 did perform.

Go on, we'll wait.

2- Yes Bush and other corps recruit at many TOB and Cavalcade shows and have gotten into a couple LOCAL(host school) run USBANDS shows.

However, if you go to Met-Life for the YEA run USBANDS championships, the ONLY DCA corps allowed to recruit there is C2.

Well, it very easily could be a logistical limitation on vendor space, in an area vendors actually have to pay for there, even for independently-run events. But if it's that huge a deal, Bush could always start it's own band circuit...