When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

Funny, you mention that but after 7 years of spending various amounts of time in Racine I still haven't been to Kewpie's :tongue: - the Kringles, though... :thumbup:

And there's a White Castle about an hour away in Gurnee, for the intrepid :-P

Matt, there is a White Castle in Racine AND....a George Webb's!!!! :thumbup:

Lotsa great pizza joints as well.

• Like 1

I asked because honestly, I don't know the area. I don't know what they have outside of Camp Randall and downtown Madison out there. That's, IMO, the town you should be going after

No criticism intended on your part - after 30 pages of this thread the names blur together

See the funny thing to me is that I think that DCA would actually fare much worse in Madison. Sure you've got a very nice stadium with drum corps history, but after that... what? DCA fans and members are much different breeds. While you can potentially stick most of the corps in nearby high school gymnasiums, enough would balk due to the lack of hotels as to make it entirely unfeasible. Couple that with colleges starting up and fall football schedules, and you're looking at a recipe for disaster.

In addition, most of the DCA fanbase is looking for a "destination" for finals. Rochester has Buffalo and Niagara. Annapolis has, well, Annapolis, Baltimore, and DC. Madison has.... the National Mustard Museum in Middleton? New Glarus an hour and a half away? Wisconsin Dells half an hour north - maybe. In that respect, Racine is actually a much better DCA venue - Milwaukee half an hour away, Chicago two hours, the lake right there. It's just too bad they don't have the stadium to support it or (arguably) the economic base to make it a worthwhile venture.

Oddly enough, those same reasons are the reason I'd like to see more corps travel (if they can afford it, and if it doesn't too severely impact their season) to the Kilties home show, as for smaller shows it is a much better venue. The stars would have to align for that to really happen, but it's nice to dream

• Like 1

Matt, there is a White Castle in Racine AND....a George Webb's!!!! :thumbup:

Lotsa great pizza joints as well.

Where's the White Castle? I could have used some gut blasters before heading out on the field these past few :satisfied:

Still think Las Vegas would be a great place to hold Championships

Lots of hotel and other fun things to do :thumbup:

oh now that I'd go to

• Like 1

Where's the White Castle? I could have used some gut blasters before heading out on the field these past few :satisfied:

Hwy 11, about a mile or so east of the Hwy 11/31 intersection.

At least it was there the last time I was in that neck of the woods.

Man, those blasters go in and out of a person so fast it pays to "pre-wipe" before taking the first chomp.

Hwy 11, about a mile or so east of the Hwy 11/31 intersection.

At least it was there the last time I was in that neck of the woods.

Man, those blasters go in and out of a person so fast it pays to "pre-wipe" before taking the first chomp.

Cracks me up that the term "sliders" was derogatory towards White Castle, then other restaurants started using it all over the place.

I think holding it in Vegas would be quite a gamble for DCA. :lookaround:

He's here all week, folks. :tongue:

No criticism intended on your part - after 30 pages of this thread the names blur together

See the funny thing to me is that I think that DCA would actually fare much worse in Madison. Sure you've got a very nice stadium with drum corps history, but after that... what? DCA fans and members are much different breeds. While you can potentially stick most of the corps in nearby high school gymnasiums, enough would balk due to the lack of hotels as to make it entirely unfeasible. Couple that with colleges starting up and fall football schedules, and you're looking at a recipe for disaster.

In addition, most of the DCA fanbase is looking for a "destination" for finals. Rochester has Buffalo and Niagara. Annapolis has, well, Annapolis, Baltimore, and DC. Madison has.... the National Mustard Museum in Middleton? New Glarus an hour and a half away? Wisconsin Dells half an hour north - maybe. In that respect, Racine is actually a much better DCA venue - Milwaukee half an hour away, Chicago two hours, the lake right there. It's just too bad they don't have the stadium to support it or (arguably) the economic base to make it a worthwhile venture.

Oddly enough, those same reasons are the reason I'd like to see more corps travel (if they can afford it, and if it doesn't too severely impact their season) to the Kilties home show, as for smaller shows it is a much better venue. The stars would have to align for that to really happen, but it's nice to dream

Actually, Madison wouldn't be too terrible of an idea. You have a couple options for smaller venues Madison Memorial (just hosted the National Collegiate Ultimate Frisbee Championships on ESPN) or Sun Prairie. (Using those two stadiums would exclude alcohol sales. Camp Randall would allow it, but the venue would be too big and would need the upper decks to be closed off). The schools aren't in session until the Tuesday after (at least for MMSD). Taste of Madison runs that weekend downtown, Mid-Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom, New Glarus brewery (and village), Memorial Union on Lake Mendota. State Street is just blocks from Camp Randall. Milwaukee is an hour away, Chicago about 2.5 with daily shuttle service from O'Hare and General Mitchell.

It might be possible to get the UW Marching Band for an exhibition for either night. Memorial Union could host a mini-corps performance. I&E could be held at Monona Terrace. If UW doesn't have a home game that weekend, it could (not saying guarantee) draw more students for el-cheapo seats (most any venue in Madison proper is on a bus-route and students do have bus passes).

Is it ideal? Not likely. But there are things to do around Madison. If I had pull, I'd look into a bid.

• Like 1