When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

Kilts annually are involved in DCI shows; 2013 involved in 3: Middleton, Whitewater and Salem.

Thanks. I initially put Kilties in that list, but after glacing at their 2013 scores on CorpsReps, I didn't see any DCI shows, so I edited them from my post.

This is something I would like to see also. I do have a problem that Reading does not do more in the Travel area. I just think they have been on Top for such a long Time ( and rightfully so). That they should bite the bullet and go to a Minn. Brass, or Racine show once in a while.

I think a show with: Reading, Minn. Brass, Cabs, Kilties, CV Atlanta, Govies, and Cincinnati. Then an Exhibition by Cavaliers Alumni. I know that is a pipe dream. But THAT Shure Would make a point as to " IF " a Crowd would show up. I think it could do very well.

i started in 1967. even back then when everybody was doing 12-22 shows a summer reading was doing 8 shows. they never traveled. the corps from the metro area have no real incentive to travel. when corps would go to A.L. NATS it would cost a fortune and then they wouldn't go for a year or two to make up the money. is this fair? no. but i just don't see this happening. it's to bad because it would really help DCA.

:ph34r:/>/>/>/>

I am reading these posts watching the disparity of the persons who have either seen the possibilities that CAN occur if and when the Northeastern DCA corps venture out beyond the tether lines of their 'safety zones' and those that will probably look to find more and more excuses to 'sit on their thumbs'.

Some posters seem to be against the idea of the effort it has taken groups from outside the NE to COMMIT - PLAN & BUDGET both their organization and it's members to "risk" something outside their normal summer routine.

I would agree with my friend, MidwestGiant..His response to the question about whether or not MBI makes money on the trips out East was surely more discript and less sarcastic than mine would have been, since both he and I have been a part (albeit my share much smaller of late) of the progress and struggles of MBI and our fellow Midwest corps to remain both competitive among ourselves, and DCA as well as offering a high-level Drum corps experience for the members and fans they have developed over the years.

"It ain't rocket surgery" ($1 to Mike Meyers - Mystery, AK) to figure out that some of those increased costs will have to be passed on to members, but it SHOULD be the responsibility of each unit's BOD and management teams to get creative when it comes to doing what fundraising may be needed to make a 'once in a while' trip to points West, in order to expand their own fan base, not just help out the other circuits.

I just love to butt heads with those that continue to harp - "grow the regions"..and that only can carry SO much weight. Since MBI made top 10 back in '86, members and alums have only been able to try and spin yarns about the legendary corps in the East, having not seen any of them in this area in almost 40 years..It becomes difficult to try and "grow the regions" describing the level of "those guys out East" when most people west of Rochester, NY never get to see and/or hear them.

It doesn't make recruiting any easier when prospects in local bands and corps-age college kids cannot grasp the impact when all they get to see here is the two or 3 shows we have along with the few DCI shows MBI and others get to play in.

A majority of folks have come out to support the local Midwest groups, but even the Eastern corps must realize that circumstances in the activity require everyone's creativity from a collective group to brainstorm small but tangible steps to be fiscally responsible to themselves, but to the ENTIRE circuit, even those who spend between 20 and 40K to travel into the 'heart of the beast' to produce and perform for the folks there..

No more time for the fear-mongers to run and hide..Competition isn't the only thing. Last time I went to business school, there was an adage: "You have to spend money to make money"..Since it still appears by the opinions of some of the posters that doesn't apply to the NE groups..

Social networking and media can only prime the charge for the South and Midwest fans to become bigger fans of DCA brand entertainment...Too bad one of the leaders in that area has decided to leave the arena..

Hey Jeff - it might TAKE the possibility of winning the Powerball jackpot and someone's then to be deep pockets to "break the grip of fear" among so many in the East about now being almost 150 years after Horace Greeley's famous utterance...

OK - bias rant off... :tongue:/>/>

Pat

Hey I hear ya...I think growing and some travel is the way to go.

I see why people don't. I see both sides. damnedif you do, ###### if you don't.

the real questions is which corps has the balls to do it? Someone needs to take the point.

When the last Eastern Corps, came to Wis. it was tied into DCI Championships in Madison. As far as advertisement I do not know if DCI really participated with advertisement,for the Senior Show. I may be wrong. I do know that as soon as the show was over we had to load the sovie booth up and get the heck out, I'm not sure that we even allowed to set up in the stadium commons. Hardly any vendors ( if any at all) were set up to sell any food.

A friend of mine who bought tickets For DCI Finals, only happened to stumble across the Senior show.

Maybe DCI and DCA have come a lot further,but back then it wasn't a happy marriage,

I realize that DCI invites all age corps into their shows. Which is a good thing.

But would DCI be willing to help sponsor a DCA show?

It definitely would be worth checking into,if hasn't been done already.

I have "no dog in the hunt" because I recently retired from the activity. That said, Cincinnati happens to sit right in the middle of three regions of DCA. There is an audience base here that knows DCI corps, but knowlege of DCA is still somewhat sparse. (There is a GOOD reason why I commuted elsewhere for almost 30 years, to march in DCA Corps) I know of maybe 15 folks who commuted from Cincinnati to march in DCA Corps, over the years. They are the ones who will sit in the audience, Knowing what DCA is. Add to that, the current members of "C.T." who have recently competed in DCA and there's your total "Knowlegeable" fan base. (Yeah, those numbers are estimates only. Relax.) Can this city support a DCA regional show? With the proper marketing and a show chairperson with experience, possibly. If anyone remembers the Dayton Ohio DCA show held in 1989 or the Chicago shows held in 1988 and 1989, they were not well attended. The current DCA "regional model" didn't exist back in those days. Now that it does, It may be a successful venture. What I find amusing is this: The reasons listed by others here, for why an East region DCA corps does not travel west, are the same ones that I personally dealt with as I commuted east for all those years! Using ALL my vacation days, calling in sick, dead or dismembered :blink: on a Friday, so I could depart early enough to make a rehearsal BEFORE a 6 hour bus ride, spending obscene amounts of money on gas, food, etc. It costs time and money to go anywhere, east or west or south. The real arguement here is: Who is going to spend their money? My general rule of thumb for ANY DCA corps is that the corps should travel no further than thier budget allows. THAT is in the best interest ot the activity, in my opinion. My days and nights on the Penn turnpike, N.Y. Thruway and I-79 North (and south) are over. :cool:

• Like 2

Why doesn't DCI have a portion for DCA corps at finals the same way DCA finals has the Alumni Spectacular?

I realize that DCI invites all age corps into their shows. Which is a good thing.

It was done so to say in 2005 the day after DCI finals in Rhode Island. DCI helped promote the show BUT it was pretty low numbers in the stands that day. I do believe it was done once in Madison the day of finals in the same stadium as finals. I was not in attendance but I heard it wasn't a big draw either.

It has been tried but the end results were never anything to write home about.

Jay

Thanks. I initially put Kilties in that list, but after glacing at their 2013 scores on CorpsReps, I didn't see any DCI shows, so I edited them from my post.

Gosh...I hope I was at them; or "I gots some 'splainin' to do" to my better half.

Gosh...I hope I was at them; or "I gots some 'splainin' to do" to my better half.

You were in Middleton, at least. :lle: We spoke for a bit, or else I'm reeeeeeaaaaaaally losing it.

You were in Middleton, at least. :lle:/> We spoke for a bit, or else I'm reeeeeeaaaaaaally losing it.

Ah yes, Middleton; then on to Sun Prairie right after our Middleton performance for another full field show performance that same evening. Two shows in one night, great fun!! It's good to be us!!