When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

It was done so to say in 2005 the day after DCI finals in Rhode Island. DCI helped promote the show BUT it was pretty low numbers in the stands that day. I do believe it was done once in Madison the day of finals in the same stadium as finals. I was not in attendance but I heard it wasn't a big draw either.

It has been tried but the end results were never anything to write home about.

Jay

99 in Madison, 01 in Buffalo,

A huge part of the problem into tying it with DCI Finals is the schedule. People get burnt out on drum corps.

99 in Madison, 01 in Buffalo,

A huge part of the problem into tying it with DCI Finals is the schedule. People get burnt out on drum corps.

Another problem is that fans just saw the very best in the world at their peak, but the DCA corps still had 3 weeks to go of perfecting their performances.

OK, put this thread with the "Is Finals Too Expensive" thread.

I figured the Eastern DCA Corps were loaded money powerhouses.

Ask them to travel outside their area and it's suddenly a big problem.

Bottom line, for the most part, the finances of many corps (as with many other non-profit organizations) are an annual "hand to mouth" existence.

A drum corps organization, as with any business, should not place at risk it's short term or long term future if it does not have the wherewithals to meet the expenses of any venture decision; be it travel, purchasing new toys, etc.

There is a graveyard full of corps who placed the emphasis on all the wrong things without financial accountability. Membership enrichment comes from within coupled with wallet wisdom, not how many miles a group travels, how many new toys they may have, or who's the compensated staff de jour'.

• Like 4

However, even having MBI at the show only brought about 200 more people in the gate than the prior year's attendance.

Ticket prices aren't bad at $15 and $18 for a six corps show

200 more butts in seats is something like $3 - $4000 more in revenue, and while that is more than the minimum DCA open class performance fee, it certainly does not cover the cost of MBI coming in,...........If I were on the Buccs board, I would strongly advocate to somehow return the favor and head west,...........Doesn't DCA somehow subsidize MBI coming east prior to finals weekend?,............if so, they should also throw out some funds to send others out of the north east

200 more butts in seats is something like $3 - $4000 more in revenue, and while that is more than the minimum DCA open class performance fee, it certainly does not cover the cost of MBI coming in,...........If I were on the Buccs board, I would strongly advocate to somehow return the favor and head west,...........Doesn't DCA somehow subsidize MBI coming east prior to finals weekend?,............if so, they should also throw out some funds to send others out of the north east

don't think DCA subsidizes them. they come on their own. but it benefits MBI. they get an east coast read before DCA. lookat readings history. they never travelled. only time i remember was 1961 VFW NATS in 1961. minneapolis. they ain't gonna do it.

• Like 1

don't think DCA subsidizes them. they come on their own. but it benefits MBI. they get an east coast read before DCA. lookat readings history. they never travelled. only time i remember was 1961 VFW NATS in 1961. minneapolis. they ain't gonna do it.

Back in the 70's MBI travelled to east to Erie several times for RCA Championships,.........

I was speaking with a promoter a few years back that had MBI in, and I am quite sure that without DCA's assistance in some form, they would not have been in town during the regular season,..............

OK, put this thread with the "Is Finals Too Expensive" thread.

I figured the Eastern DCA Corps were loaded money powerhouses.

Ask them to travel outside their area and it's suddenly a big problem.

A lot of people who answered, myself included, took that to be about spectators as well corps.

Eastern DCA corps are in no way loaded money powerhouses. Far from it.

NO drum corps is a loaded money powerhouse these days.

• Like 3

Out of curiosity to see what the bus bill would be before inviting MBI to Downingtown, I priced it out in reverse. For three buses from Reading to Minnesota, the bill would be $25,000 which does not include hotel rooms for the drivers, gas for the equipment trucks, hotel rooms for the truck drivers, and any other incidental expenses along the way.

Also, believe me, winning DCA doesn't mean people are throwing money at you.

Edited by amysnook

A lot of people who answered, myself included, took that to be about spectators as well corps.

Eastern DCA corps are in no way loaded money powerhouses. Far from it.

NO drum corps is a loaded money powerhouse these days.

So true Liz. :worthy:/> Most corps are working on a shoe string. How many posts do you see with corps looking for donations for new unis or new instruments or trucks that broke down and they don't have the money for repairs. MANY!!! They can't do a whole season of underwear run throughs. But it would be different :blink:/>