Why USMC D&B Corps wasn't in Indy

I posted this info on my Finals blog, but it's worth repeating here:

The US Marine Corps Drum and Bugle was unable to be in Indianapolis because of budgetary considers due to sequestration. (The reason they couldn't be there last year had something to do with scheduling conflicts with transportation.)

A representative at the Marines' booth in Lucas Oil Stadium suggested that drum corps fans write to their elected representatives in Washington, DC, telling them how important the goodwill is in having the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps at the DCI World Championships, how important having the corps there is to DCI fans, and why special efforts should be taken to get the corps back to the World Championships in the future.

How to find your US Representative (by zip code) and their mailing addresses.Once you find your US Representative by zip code, you may find their telephone number here.

How to find your US Senators and their mailing addresses and phone numbers.

PS: This is not intended to be a political thread, as has been suggested it could become. If one is so inclined to express the opinion that the USMC D&B Corps should be at the World Championships, above are the links to find whom should be contacted. If one is not inclined to express that opinion to their elected officials...well, that's what America is all about.

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

If you've never seen them before: they're well worth watching! They performed this year and last at DCA Finals in Annapolis (which is much closer for them).

Coincidentally, the friend who joined me this year at DCA Finals was able to do so because of the sequestration. He usually works an air show that weekend, but it was cancelled because no military planes would be there.

Granted they are a fantastic group, but in the list of sequestration priorities...no.

I agree the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps is fantastic; I agree that the Navy Blue Angels are fantastic; but I also agree that at this juncture in American history with drastically limiting the touring of the USMC D&B Corps and the grounding of the Blue Angels; and THIS is why. However, if DCI still wants to have the Marine Drum & Bugle Corps play at Finals they certainly can do so; DCI needs to do what NASCAR does for military aircraft fly-overs which is pay for their service and not burden the taxpayer. (sorry Boo, but that is what I wrote to my U.S Senators and Representatives).

• Like 6

Don't hold your breath. Sequester is over for Dept of Defense for Fiscal year 2013 (3 weeks to go) but NO idea what FY 2014 will hold. Lot of scary guesses for the civilians which will also not be good for non-defense (IOW public relations) work like military groups performing for the general public.

Just an FYI from a guy hoping to hold out until his planned retirement....

Offer to pay might help but no idea....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I posted this info on my Finals blog, but it's worth repeating here:

The US Marine Corps Drum and Bugle was unable to be in Indianapolis because of budgetary considers due to sequestration. (The reason they couldn't be there last year had something to do with scheduling conflicts with transportation.)

A representative at the Marine's booth in Lucas Oil Stadium suggested that drum corps fans write to their elected representatives in Washington, DC, telling them how important the goodwill is in having the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps at the DCI World Championships, how important having the corps there is to DCI fans, and why special efforts should be taken to get the corps back to the World Championships in the future.

How to find your US Representative (by zip code) and their mailing addresses.Once you find your US Representative by zip code, you may find their telephone number here.

How to find your US Senators and their mailing addresses and phone numbers.

I know this will be an unpopular sentiment, but when it comes to budgetary issues I'm fine with the US govt. not paying for the USMC D&B corps not racking up expenses by attending DCI. I love the unit, as I love all of the military music organizations; I try to support them every time a group is publicly performing in town (which in our military town is not rare). But there are FAR better ways for the US government to spend money than paying for USMC drum corps to go to Indy for Finals exhibition.

(FWIW, there are also other aspects of military spending that I prefer get cut long before any music organization, but in the grand scheme of things USMC drum corps playing at Finals = not exactly top priority spending-wise)

• Like 2

Don't hold your breath. Sequester is over for Dept of Defense for Fiscal year 2013 (3 weeks to go) but NO idea what FY 2014 will hold. Lot of scary guesses for the civilians which will also not be good for non-defense (IOW public relations) work like military groups performing for the general public.

Just an FYI from a guy hoping to hold out until his planned retirement....

Offer to pay might help but no idea....

yea, Sequestration is a 10 year things. People should remember that.

we are getting VERA/VSIP opportunities on 1 OCT.

I'm newer (3 years gov service) so I will take furloughs over RIFs, but 20% less living in DC is very rough on the wallet.

yea, Sequestration is a 10 year things. People should remember that.

we are getting VERA/VSIP opportunities on 1 OCT.

I'm newer (3 years gov service) so I will take furloughs over RIFs, but 20% less living in DC is very rough on the wallet.

I sympathize with you, honest; my income in the private sector has fallen over 35%. I do not want to turn this into a political debate and get the thread locked, so I will tread lightly here. As a taxpayer, when I see our national debt now at $17,000,000,000,000 and rising at whopping $10,000 per second, that is per second, that is a 'grave' issue for me. I certainly desire to continue paying tax dollars 'for needed security and defense', but at this juncture I am also fine with not seeing/hearing the USMC D&B Corps or the Blue Angels perform at the taxpayers expense. Again, if DCI wants to have the USMC D&B Corps perform at Finals great; they should pay for the service just like NASCAR does for the military aircraft flyovers, and not lay that cost burden onto the taxpayers.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2