Bucky Swan

Heaven is laughing a bit more with Pepe and Bucky back together...

Condolences to Skyliners past and present...

Tom "Bucky" Swan - one of the great drum corps characters of all time

• Like 2

Bucky will be remembered by many as a legendary soloist and a masterful raconteur, but that's just part of the story. He was an extraordinary instructor who could teach a tree how to play.

Mostly, he accomplished this the old-school way: by example. And he didn't even need to be physically present. Every horn player of my generation gained immeasurably by simply listening to and attempting to copy his recorded performances.

Bucky Swan is gone, but he has left us all so greatly enriched.

• Like 2

This is truly sad news. I got to know Bucky well the summer of 2000 that I spent playing mellophone for Sky. John Arietano wrote our horn book that year and Ken MacLean worked hard on cleaning and technique. Bucky's job that year, as he described it to me, was to "get (us) to play like Skyliners". Bucky had some kind words for me the night before DCA Championships that year about how he appreciated my hard work that summer, and that memory is still with me. I hope Pepe has a large supply of Coors light on hand:))

• Like 1

RIP Bucky.

Thank you for all you taught me in my 2 years as a Skyliner.

RIP from us both

Bucky will be remembered by many as a legendary soloist and a masterful raconteur, but that's just part of the story. He was an extraordinary instructor who could teach a tree how to play.

Mostly, he accomplished this the old-school way: by example. And he didn't even need to be physically present. Every horn player of my generation gained immeasurably by simply listening to and attempting to copy his recorded performances.

Bucky Swan is gone, but he has left us all so greatly enriched.

Well-said, Frank. I'm one of the hundreds... thousands, perhaps... of drum corps people who was taught how to play by Tom.

May he rest in peace.

• Like 2

Our condolences to the Skyliner and Swan Families from all of us at Mighty St. Joe's.

• Like 1

Harry Hazelwood tribute to Bucky:

Bucky Swan

I sit here heartbroken ... one of the personalities that made up the Skyliners is now gone ... I cannot imagine the number of kids that grew up in the 60's, holding onto their Portrait in Brass album, that went to bed wishing they would one day play like Bucky Swan ...

... And I will smile and say Thank You, for knowing you has been a great pleasure ...

Andy

• Like 2