Audition Camp Experiences

Dan-Z

I think the people who've already replied to the thread have the basics covered...

Try your best to watch the vets and how they rehearse. I say rehearse because a lot of us will act goofy during the camps; it's our first time seeing our friends since last summer so we tend to pick up right where we left off. Normally though, as soon as we're needed to do something serious, we get on task. That's when you should watch us. Also don't be afraid to come and interact with anyone during meals and stuff, especially not the vets. All of them have been where you have before, and they all now how nerve racking the process is. The weekends can be much friendlier if you make friends quickly.

Take in all information the staff gives you, and apply it to your fullest ability. Camps at Crown are very big on that, because it is a learning process. If they ask for a volunteer for something, raise your hand immediately. The more one-on-one time you can get with staff members the better. Especially when you're playing in front of them + 30 other kids.

Never relax. If you're in the middle of the block in the middle line during visual block, you're still being watched. You're always being watched. Sometimes staff will ask trusted vets questions... "How is _____ doing? How's their work ethic? How would they handle a summer?"

And make sure to take care of yourself. Eat a good meal before you drive/fly down to camp, don't rush yourself. Pack a couple of days ahead, you want the experience to be as relaxed as possible, in the sense of not stressing yourself out. When you get to camp, be sure to always be drinking water or gatorade. Don't overeat during meals... Food truck food does something different to everyone their first time eating it... Mine was not pleasant (the food isn't bad, it's just different than what you eat on a daily basis). But having said that, make sure you eat. Nothing is worse than you getting light headed halfway through a visual or brass block.

And try not to stress out too much when you get called in front of the brass staff to audition. There are hundreds of other kids in the same shoes as you are, trying to prove themselves to get a spot. Don't worry about them, and don't worry about how the audition is going to go. Just go in, do what they ask, and own it. Confidence can make or break people at camps.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or something. I'm from NC as well, so maybe if you're close enough we can carpool.

• Like 5

I think the people who've already replied to the thread have the basics covered...

Try your best to watch the vets and how they rehearse. I say rehearse because a lot of us will act goofy during the camps; it's our first time seeing our friends since last summer so we tend to pick up right where we left off. Normally though, as soon as we're needed to do something serious, we get on task. That's when you should watch us. Also don't be afraid to come and interact with anyone during meals and stuff, especially not the vets. All of them have been where you have before, and they all now how nerve racking the process is. The weekends can be much friendlier if you make friends quickly.

Take in all information the staff gives you, and apply it to your fullest ability. Camps at Crown are very big on that, because it is a learning process. If they ask for a volunteer for something, raise your hand immediately. The more one-on-one time you can get with staff members the better. Especially when you're playing in front of them + 30 other kids.

Never relax. If you're in the middle of the block in the middle line during visual block, you're still being watched. You're always being watched. Sometimes staff will ask trusted vets questions... "How is _____ doing? How's their work ethic? How would they handle a summer?"

And make sure to take care of yourself. Eat a good meal before you drive/fly down to camp, don't rush yourself. Pack a couple of days ahead, you want the experience to be as relaxed as possible, in the sense of not stressing yourself out. When you get to camp, be sure to always be drinking water or gatorade. Don't overeat during meals... Food truck food does something different to everyone their first time eating it... Mine was not pleasant (the food isn't bad, it's just different than what you eat on a daily basis). But having said that, make sure you eat. Nothing is worse than you getting light headed halfway through a visual or brass block.

And try not to stress out too much when you get called in front of the brass staff to audition. There are hundreds of other kids in the same shoes as you are, trying to prove themselves to get a spot. Don't worry about them, and don't worry about how the audition is going to go. Just go in, do what they ask, and own it. Confidence can make or break people at camps.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or something. I'm from NC as well, so maybe if you're close enough we can carpool.

I plussed you on this. Many people who will be trying out for many corps read this and it was a very nice reply.

As to the orginal thread:

Nerves will play more havoc on more people than lack of talent will ever do them in. Just coming on here looking for tips has already given you an edge in my book. I hope your playing is the tipping point and you come back here and report that you were offered a contract. Good luck.

Edited by oldtimefan
  • Like 1

When you are moving to various locations at the audition site, run. Don't be the last guy in the arc if you're a horn player. Mirror what the vets are doing during rehearsal. Introduce yourself to the other auditionees and vets.

This = integral. Do what the vets do, and do what the staff asks. Don't argue, show interest in constantly improving yourself each rep, push through any fatigue or soreness you get from a weekend-full of rehearsing, and be social with vets. If staff ask you to play or march a way that is foreign or different from what you do in your current school or what you've previously been taught, try your best to adapt quickly. On the flip side, don't get frustrated: your goal should be to be better every single rep, not necessarily be perfect from rep #1 (although obviously perfection = awesome, you want to show the staff that while you're learning a new skill set or technique you are also striving for perfection and improving every chance you get). I've seen members who sucked on something in the morning block, but impressed the staff with their constant improvement (and by evening block they had it down).

Last thing: HAVE FUN! Remember why you're doing what you're doing: probably not to win a ring or pad a resume, but to learn a ton, make new long-lasting friendships, and to enjoy yourself. Performances won't be for quite awhile, but remember the whole reason for all of this is to have a blast playing in front of thousands of people come June. While you're working hard remember to enjoy the little moments of playing in a huge horn arc, or full ensemble, or whatever.

Good luck!

When you are moving to various locations at the audition site, run. Don't be the last guy in the arc if you're a horn player. Mirror what the vets are doing during rehearsal. Introduce yourself to the other auditionees and vets.

Thank you, everyone! You all deserve a +1. CrownBaritone, I'll send you that PM, maybe we can meet at camp!

As as staff member, here are a few tips.

With hundreds of people at a camp, you want the staff to know your name. You want to stand out in a good way so that you are remembered, just don't overdo it to where it could be obnoxious.

Wear your name tag all weekend. Before rehearsal or at a meal break, walk up to someone on staff and introduce yourself. Tell them a little bit about why you are there. Keep it short, but this does go a long way. Be visible in the marching blocks. Stand in the front if possible and keep your mouth shut. Good or bad, you want to be noticed and remembered when they're talking about you later that day. Meet some vets, don't sit alone at lunch. Listen to their stories and follow their example.

Dress well! Like anything, first impressions are very important. If you wake up for the first day and can't comb your hair and you dress like a slob, then it does affect the staff's impression of you. Also, it's not mandatory that you wear your marching band show shirt from the previous year.

If you're older than 16, don't have your parents email the staff between camps. Email the staff yourself. If you're old enough to go on tour then you are old enough to ask your own questions. There are crazy parents every year that really help make some decisions.

Most importantly, be extremely prepared. Know everything they have given you in advance inside and out. Use a metronome. If you don't know where you stand by the end of camp, ask. Make sure everything is clear before walking out the door.

Sorry if this is blunt. Just a few tips that hopefully help.

• Like 2

If you're older than 16, don't have your parents email the staff between camps. Email the staff yourself. If you're old enough to go on tour then you are old enough to ask your own questions. There are crazy parents every year that really help make some decisions.

Oh my goodness, THIS. Even DCA ya get some real doozies. Helicopter parents aren't helping the way they think they are. Let your kid independently apply what you should've been teaching them their whole life.