Drill Writing

Jay Murphy & The Blue Devils.

But he said Book was equal. Not staging, but book. While Jay is a master at staging, I have NEVER seen him try to write something that would match the book of these other masters for anything except for staging. I do believe that he wrote some tasty stuff in the early 2000s, but that's as close as it gets. ...and I do believe that he is a master of his style of writing.

I know, I'm likely to be dinged for not doing so, but I just don't see comparing Murphy to the norm work of Zingali, Gaines, Sylvester, or Brubaker. Their body of work on visual and specifically drill compared to Murphy's work just has different goals and is incomparable. That Murphy receives so much credit for what he does drill-wise should be considered a complement to him I guess.... But I don't think his focus has ever been on "drill" even all the way back to 1987. It's been more on staging and especially "visual" recently...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 5

Niagra Falls

Four Corners

Frameworks

Spin Cycle

Machine

Samurai

Mad World

I'll be more than shocked if we ever see a body of work like that again. And these are just some of the highlights. The man is unmatched, and may remain that way indefinitely.

IMO Gaines genius is *not* the cool drill moves he writes (although there were many) . Instead think of all the "moments" he creates through staging and pacing. He understands how to create effect better than any other "drill writer" I've ever seen.

• Like 1

I'm having trouble figuring out what you mean. Would you please clarify? Thank you.

A grid is a fixed-point system, designed for straight line paths between sets. When using the field as a continuum, the field is an infinite space (er, canvas), with potentially infinite curvature between sets.

(Note that I'm just humoring you, since I know that you know exactly what I mean.)

A grid is a fixed-point system, designed for straight line paths between sets. When using the field as a continuum, the field is an infinite space (er, canvas), with potentially infinite curvature between sets.

(Note that I'm just humoring you, since I know that you know exactly what I mean.)

I know the term "grid," but I haven't heard the term "continuum" utilized in this sense. I figured if I hadn't heard that, that has to be others that haven't heard it as well.

And I've seen plenty of "grid" drills that utilized curved lines to get from point A to point B, especially during rotations and certain swirls.

I have trouble thinking of a finite space with measurable dimensions as being infinite...but maybe that's just me.

Jay Murphy & The Blue Devils.

Blue Devils do well at visual, but their work is not as impressive as 'drill.' The last time they got a big reaction purely because of a drill move was.....1989? cool.gif

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

IMO Gaines genius is *not* the cool drill moves he writes (although there were many) . Instead think of all the "moments" he creates through staging and pacing. He understands how to create effect better than any other "drill writer" I've ever seen.

This is true, but he also builds a lot of effect visually via form development. When he's at his best there are very few other 'drill writers' who can develop forms as well as Gaines.

• Like 1

I know the term "grid," but I haven't heard the term "continuum" utilized in this sense. I figured if I hadn't heard that, that has to be others that haven't heard it as well.

And I've seen plenty of "grid" drills that utilized curved lines to get from point A to point B, especially during rotations and certain swirls.

I have trouble thinking of a finite space with measurable dimensions as being infinite...but maybe that's just me.

And this gets to the essence of of the difference between Gaines and Rosander. Myron understands that seemingly-finite space is actually infinite. How many points are there between 0 and 1 on a number line? It's one finite unit, right? But the answer is: INFINITE. There are an infinite number of points in shapes (a field) and solids too.

I'm not judging one as better. From a practical point alone, Gaines is WAY BETTER. Gaines' art is in his ability as a "magician," and I mean that with the utmost respect. I walk away thinking he uses infinite space...even though I know he doesn't [strive to], lol. Gets back to the "dots vs form" thing, of which, again, I have no preference nor bias. I'm just an old-fart brass guy who has seen it all on both sides, and I'm reporting my observation here.

• Like 2

And this gets to the essence of of the difference between Gaines and Rosander. Myron understands that seemingly-finite space is actually infinite. How many points are there between 0 and 1 on a number line? It's one finite unit, right? But the answer is: INFINITE. There are an infinite number of points in shapes (a field) and solids too.

As someone who thinks he spends more time than most thinking about drum corps (because it's my job to think about it), I sometimes suspect that some things are way over-thought.

• Like 3

As purely a fan, what they both bring to drill is logic and flow. One big form moves to another, which moves to another, without a lot of "individual" lines or groups off doing their own thing. That makes their drill really easy and fun to watch - it's the whole corps moving together.

It always seems, though, that Rosander's corps never quite clean the drill he writes, which after so many years leads you to wonder if he's not asking too much of the performers. (Or, to put a positive spin on it, if his brain isn't so far ahead of the body that humans haven't caught up yet. :) )

So, all things being equal, I'd bet the Gaines drill would score higher.

Mike

This is true, but he also builds a lot of effect visually via form development. When he's at his best there are very few other 'drill writers' who can develop forms as well as Gaines.

Agree 100%. I just wanted to point out that his contribution is so much more than just cool drill effects.

For example...

The guard is always in the perfect spot to contribute to a moment. To add on your point , the way in which the guard arrived to that moment through time is always creative, often unexpected and yet still logical.