World wide block on DCI DVDs/CD...?

It is also good that they are not shipping DVDs internationally anymore. International rights are getting more and more complicated and expensive these days and the effort required to secure these is not worth the potential return.

Sounds to me like obtaining rights in the U.S. is no more of a picnic. I think it's only a matter of time until a top 12 corps whole show is yanked from the DVDs for U.S. customers as well. When that happens, this board will light up like an LED BOA band show.

Find the guy who is the young, up and coming number 3 in their digital media group - hire them and give them strong incentives. They have the knowledge, experience and contacts to make it work for DCI.

I know of a person that actually has an Engineering degree in this area and is employed doing just that, but alas, he is Canadian. I don't think that DCI would want him to help them out because of this...even though he does have a very strong background in DCI Drum Corps. He does work for other American companies, though.

Igor Stravinsky died April 6, 1971.

Canada has a Life Plus 50 law, until year's end. Am I right in thinking that lets DCI ship this product to Canada Jan 1, 2022?

For European Union countries it would be Jan 1, 2042.

Here's the list of countries on Wikipedia.

He sold his rights to Boosey & Hawkes in 1947.

Do some research on the Disney, Boosey & Hawkes, Philadelphia Orchestra, Stravinsky legal mess related to Fantasia and then again when Fantasia was released on video cassette.

Boosey & Hawkes vs. Walt Disney

You would think that music publishers would be a bit more flexible these days, as technology and the ability to do direct distribution has rendered them pretty much irrelevant (artists can now bypass them... so they get very little new stuff), but I guess they are trying to milk all they've got.

He sold his rights to Boosey & Hawkes in 1947.

Do some research on the Disney, Boosey & Hawkes, Philadelphia Orchestra, Stravinsky legal mess related to Fantasia and then again when Fantasia was released on video cassette.

Boosey & Hawkes vs. Walt Disney

You would think that music publishers would be a bit more flexible these days, as technology and the ability to do direct distribution has rendered them pretty much irrelevant (artists can now bypass them... so they get very little new stuff), but I guess they are trying to milk all they've got.

Interesting stuff. Shows the complicated details that can ensue (Ha!) in these cases. Rearranging the parts of the work seems to be an issue, for example. This happens in DCI as well. I would hope a boilerplate license agreement should cover most of these bases, but still there are potentially unique issues for DCI, and those would be harder to predict the outcome in a court case.

I would expect the expiration dates to be unchanged by Stravinsky selling the rights to Boosey & Hawkes?

Sounds to me like obtaining rights in the U.S. is no more of a picnic. I think it's only a matter of time until a top 12 corps whole show is yanked from the DVDs for U.S. customers as well. When that happens, this board will light up like an LED BOA band show.

Probably, but it won't bother me. I stopped buying the dvds. too chopped up as is with small snippets or entire pieces yanked. And no offense to DCI, but even with stuff chopped up on the Fan Network, it's very easy to find unedited versions of the show online.

And no offense to DCI, but even with stuff chopped up on the Fan Network, it's very easy to find unedited versions of the show online.

Jeff, speaking of videos online: was a video of Westshoremen's 1996 first-place show ever for sale? DCA's site doesn't have links to videos older than 1998. I found the Westshoremen 1995 second-place show on youtube but not the year after. I could keep an eye out on e-bay for older DCA videos to turn up ... but only if there actually were any.

Jeff, speaking of videos online: was a video of Westshoremen's 1996 first-place show ever for sale? DCA's site doesn't have links to videos older than 1998. I found the Westshoremen 1995 second-place show on youtube but not the year after. I could keep an eye out on e-bay for older DCA videos to turn up ... but only if there actually were any.

yeah dvd's were made, but DCA had so many vendors over the years do the video, who knows who did it what year. Hell they didn't even start making videos until 8 or 89.

Find the Westshore Facebook page, it's on there. or my page.