Ohio State University

Can you guys take this to Marching Band Planet? This thread made me throw up in my mouth a little. Especially the comparison to VK part.

Garry in Vegas

MBP is long dead.

and I loved VK, but they didn't always hit home runs either

• Like 1

Hail to those ###### ########

hail to those big #### #######

hail hail to Michigan

On Wisconsin, on Wisconsin, eat your weight in cheese...

I used to know the OSU words, but hey give it 2/3 years and the Urban legend will flame out and cite medical issues to avoid issues brewing underneath like he did everywhere else

• Like 1

Before I rant, let me start by saying I have nothing against the OSU band or any collegiate band for that matter. OSU, Michigan, and Penn State all have fantastic bands. I personally LOVE OSU's shows, especially the video game one.

That being said, TBDBITL's fans have been getting on my nerves lately. Making a post just to say how good they are on a drum corps forum is just one example of the arrogance I've seen from them lately. In a more extreme example, there was a Carolina Crown video on the front page of Reddit recently (yes, the front page) that was more than half filled with people saying OSU is better. That's right: many OSU fans think their band is so #### good that they're even better than the DCI World Champion.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think I'm going insane with how an OSU fan seems to spring up anywhere there's a band/corps discussion just to say they're the best.

• Like 5

Before I rant, let me start by saying I have nothing against the OSU band or any collegiate band for that matter. OSU, Michigan, and Penn State all have fantastic bands. I personally LOVE OSU's shows, especially the video game one.

That being said, TBDBITL's fans have been getting on my nerves lately. Making a post just to say how good they are on a drum corps forum is just one example of the arrogance I've seen from them lately. In a more extreme example, there was a Carolina Crown video on the front page of Reddit recently (yes, the front page) that was more than half filled with people saying OSU is better. That's right: many OSU fans think their band is so #### good that they're even better than the DCI World Champion.

Has anyone else noticed this? I think I'm going insane with how an OSU fan seems to spring up anywhere there's a band/corps discussion just to say they're the best.

You're really just seeing what you want to see in my opinion. Especially here on DCP. You cite that someone "making a post just to say how good they are on a drum corps forum is just one example of the arrogance I've seen from them lately," when that is clearly not what took place here. Go back and read what the original poster wrote:

Following up last year's very entertaining video game show TBDBITL performed a show this past Saturday that had me reflecting on some of the fun drum corps fans came to know with the Velvet Knights, Bridgemen and now with Jersey Surf.

I like how they used the huge scoreboard at The Shoe as a prop in the show.

Last week the school up north (Michigan for those of you south of the Ohio border) did a script O H N O. The OSU band had a fun response this week.

Halftime could be better than the game this year.

Nowhere did that person reference 1) the quality of OSU's performance, 2) how much better OSU is than any drum corps, or 3) how (the band's nickname aside) they're the greatest marching band in the history of the world. He simply pointed out what he thought was a very entertaining and fun show, brought up some similarities in terms of going for pure fan enjoyment as it relates to drum corps who have been known for that (Bridgemen, VK, Jersey Surf), and I can't really find a sniff of arrogance anywhere in what he posted or the sentiment he was trying to convey.

If you choose to be bothered by college marching band fans talking smack on the internet, that's up to you. The way I see it, the only thing sillier than college marching band fans talking smack about drum corps on the internet would be letting something like that get to you. Really...who cares?

• Like 2

<...SNIP...>

If you choose to be bothered by college marching band fans talking smack on the internet, that's up to you. The way I see it, the only thing sillier than college marching band fans talking smack about drum corps on the internet would be letting something like that get to you. Really...who cares?

And what does this tell us about people who care enough to be bothered by people who are bothered college marching band smack talk?

I think it might be worthwhile trying to figure out why people prefer Ohio State's show to Crown's, and asking if there is something that OSU or other college bands are doing that would actually be beneficial to drum corps. Maybe, maybe not, but we should remember that a fair number of people on this very forum, who are obviously drum corps fans, have problems to Crown's show, after all. However, some of the Crown-complainants here prefer Blue Devils' show, which probably makes it unlikely that they could think OSU's show is better. Other Crown-detractors are bothered by their use of amplified voice, which again is probably not a reason to prefer the Buckeyes' show, since they too use amplified voice. No one who admires difficult marching or playing for its own sake could like OSU's show more than Crown's on that basis, naturally. But at least, it's probably fair to say that game show themes are more immediately recognizable to a broad audience than Einstein on the Beach. (At this point, I should perhaps note that Crown, SCV, Buccaneers, Statesmen, Cadets, Caballeros, and Troopers were my favorite shows this year.) Perhaps that's a factor drum corps should consider, if they don't want to go out of business, or perhaps it's not.

I think it might be worthwhile trying to figure out why people prefer Ohio State's show to Crown's, and asking if there is something that OSU or other college bands are doing that would actually be beneficial to drum corps. Maybe, maybe not, but we should remember that a fair number of people on this very forum, who are obviously drum corps fans, have problems to Crown's show, after all. However, some of the Crown-complainants here prefer Blue Devils' show, which probably makes it unlikely that they could think OSU's show is better. Other Crown-detractors are bothered by their use of amplified voice, which again is probably not a reason to prefer the Buckeyes' show, since they too use amplified voice. No one who admires difficult marching or playing for its own sake could like OSU's show more than Crown's on that basis, naturally. But at least, it's probably fair to say that game show themes are more immediately recognizable to a broad audience than Einstein on the Beach. (At this point, I should perhaps note that Crown, SCV, Buccaneers, Statesmen, Cadets, Caballeros, and Troopers were my favorite shows this year.) Perhaps that's a factor drum corps should consider, if they don't want to go out of business, or perhaps it's not.

Come on! What's all the noise? It's only the state of ohio....:thumbdown:/>/>

Edited by drilltech1
  • Like 1

Come on! What's all the noise? It's only the State of Ohio... :thumbdown:

I don't understand your post. I'd be asking the same questions if someone said that Michigan's or Stanford's band was being praised as better than Crown.

No one who admires difficult marching or playing for its own sake could like OSU's show more than Crown's on that basis, naturally.

tOSU's marching style is very difficult to do correctly AND play at the same time. Much more difficult than any corps style marching that I've done. Drill, not so much...

Le Régiment de Sambre et Meuse isn't exactly easy, but it's not as "exciting, new, and modern" as Crown.

They're almost a drum corps in brass Instrumentation:

• Eâ™­ Cornets (Yamaha Xeno 8620S)
  • Bâ™­ Trumpets (Yamaha Xeno 8335S)
  • Bâ™­ Flugelhorns (Yamaha 631S)
  • F Mellophones (King 1120 and 1121)
  • Bâ™­ Tenor Trombones (King 2104)
  • Bass Trombones (Conn 110H)
  • Baritones (King 625)
  • Sousaphones (Conn 20K)

So, actually someone who admires difficult marching and playing could like tOSU better on that basis if they want.

Personally, I say it depends on the show. Crown's quality is very high. tOSU is louder ( 80 something brass versus 168 brass).

I enjoyed both.

Anyway, probably should get back to drumcorps discussions. I hate the off season!

• Like 1