Ohio State University

A typical drum corps show of today, played at a typical major college halftime, would probably be (1) ignored because it's so incredibly boring, or (2) laughed out of the stadium. I'm sure the prancing and emoting, not to mention the amps and electronics, would be mocked and ridiculed.

The OSU show that inspired this thread certainly uses amplification!

The OSU show that inspired this thread certainly uses amplification!

tOSU Marching Band used soloist mics this past weekend vs Wisconsin: trumpet & Sousaphone playing dueling banjos. TBDBITL also frequently uses electronic sound effects and other samples. I always thought it was an interesting dichotomy of stylistically tOSU Marching Band is one of the most old-school/traditional bands out there but still utilizes new tech to enhance their shows. Heck, this last weekend they utilized some sort of lighting technology on the tenor drums to visually accentuate a musical phrase (according to my mom who was at the game with INCREDIBLE seats that made me quite jealous to be honest).

• Like 1

Since you claim to have been "exposed" to Big 10 bands for "20 years" (a claim I find hard to believe, since they suck all on their own in your opinion - I can't imagine you'd watch them), you must know all about the 5th quarter. More people stay and watch that, each and every home game, than attend the annual DCI championship. The audience is there to watch the band. Your typical college marching band probably practices 2 1/2 hours per day, maybe 5 days a week, and puts on a new show each home game. And the members are full time students. Based on the time they have available to put into it, they do a pretty fine job. A typical drum corps show of today, played at a typical major college halftime, would probably be (1) ignored because it's so incredibly boring, or (2) laughed out of the stadium. I'm sure the prancing and emoting, not to mention the amps and electronics, would be mocked and ridiculed. These two mediums don't go together. Critiquing a college marching band performance through a drum corps performance lens is ridiculous. HOWEVER, you can look to how college marching bands do in reaching their audiences, vs. how drum corps do in reaching theirs. My claim is that these Big 10 marching bands know what their identities are, know their audiences better and perform to them better than drum corps do to their audiences. I think drum corps today don't really know what their identities are, who their audiences are, why they exist, or what the end game is. I have had kids both in drum corps and in college marching bands, and appreciate each for what they are individually. You cannot judge one against the other. It's apples-to-oranges.

Right, apples and oranges. That's exactly what Slingerland said, and you've said nothing to counter it, other than to be snarky (as usual). Thanks for bringing up that drum corps would be mocked by a bunch of football fans paying to watch a football game - great analysis.

• Like 1

Interesting read especially a propos this specific thread:

http://www.atlxtv.com/2013/09/26/marching-band-the-other-athletes-on-the-field/

• Like 1

Critiquing a college marching band performance through a drum corps performance lens is ridiculous. HOWEVER, you can look to how college marching bands do in reaching their audiences, vs. how drum corps do in reaching theirs. My claim is that these Big 10 marching bands know what their identities are, know their audiences better and perform to them better than drum corps do to their audiences. I think drum corps today don't really know what their identities are, who their audiences are, why they exist, or what the end game is. I have had kids both in drum corps and in college marching bands, and appreciate each for what they are individually. You cannot judge one against the other. It's apples-to-oranges.

You just did what you accuse Slingerland of doing, going the opposite way. I happen to agree with your first statement 100%, as well as your closing statements in the above quote. Unfortunately you took the opportunity to trash DCI and the shows the corps do because you do not like them. It works both ways. it is certainly possible to watch and enjoy both for what they bring to the table.

I also understand those on either side who can NOT enjoy what the other side does, coming from either direction. But...that is their personal preference, and who am I...or you...to pass judgement on them..

This wouldn't be much of a form without posters passing judgement, giving opinions, whatever

This wouldn't be much of a form without posters passing judgement, giving opinions, whatever

the problem is MANY TIMES judgements being passed are only opinion and thats it and many times an uneducated opinion at that..but youre right what would social media in general be without those who have an opinion on everything in the world. People also tend to be more opinionated when it's NOT face to face. JMO :smile: it is the world we live in........not that many cant give good info and discussion at times. Unfortunately often( not always ) the loudest arent the most informed..lol...OH WELL!!!

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Inspired by VK ... or Statesmen?

Ohio State University Marching Band -- Michael Jackson tribute -- 10/19/2013

Empire Statesmen -- Michael Jackson tribute -- 9/4/2011

Not very alike, actually, but both fun shows.

I heard about OSU's Michael Jackson show when the DJ on a local top 40 music station praised it. Free publicity helps!