Ohio State University

Great post with lots of fascinating insight. I'd be curious to hear more people's thoughts on the three sections (the numbers are my addition) that I've excerpted above.

[1] Does it happen the other way around? Are there OSU marching band members who try out for corps and can't make the cut?

Ok, I'm sure there may be some OSU marching band members who try out for corps and can't make the cut, BUT my personal experience from many people who marched some DCI corps (Cavaliers, Star, Bluecoats, Cadets, Limited Edition) and TBDBITL over the years was that they're pretty successful in DCI and at OSU. I don't think they all did corps and OSU at the same time as there are conflicts in time commitments to overcome, but there's probably some who were able to do that too.

Edited by jjeffeory

I live in Columbus and find it difficult to believe that this story continues to be part of our local media. OSU is always big news here however. Just wanted to add that in the early 80s at BGSU in northwest Ohio DCI was very well represented. We had kids from Glassmen, General Putnam's Men, Bluecoats, Marion Cadets, Scouts, 2-7, Phantom, Garfield, Troopers, Guardsmen, Royal Crusaders and probably others.

I'd never even heard of General Putnam's Men until I ran into a former co-worker at Finals a couple years ago and discovered that she had been a member of that corps in her youth.

Maybe we should start listing the ones we know here! It is the off season after all. I can't think of any Big Ten bands that are corps style. Defining "corps style" could be its own debate, but personally I don't consider OSU's style as corps style. They certainly don't march corps style. How about Central Michigan University?

The University of Oklahoma last year hired a band director from a mediocre University of Wisconsin band program. Initial results have been disastrous for a once-proud college band. It seems as though he's trying to program more theatrical kinds of halftime shows, but nothing else seems to be "corps style."

Hmmmm, well stated and thanks for the "1st person" insight.

As someone who grew up in Columbus (graduated in 83') and have had a few friends in the OSU marching band it was always thought of as a true achievement to make the OSUMB.

I never tried out so I have no insight in that regard.

However, since then and after seeing many a drumcorps show, I have to agree, the lack of sound volume from OSUMB compared to top 12 Corps is startling.

If I may add (and I'm not a horn guy I was a snare drummer in high school) the quality of sound from a top 12 DCI corps is distinctly better than OSUMB.

As far as drumlines, OSU's is a 'B' level compared to a top 12 DCI drumline.

Now, to counter my own opinion the purpose OSUMB and a DCI corps are unique. The only similarity is that they both want to entertain, but to uniquely difference audiences.

I love them both in there own environment.

Edited by The Passionate Fan

I'm not going to spoil the entire show coming up this weekend, but if you're a fan of swing style arrangements, this show is chock full of it. Our closing piece channels a very Stan Kenton feel. This week's show also caters to the football crowd. Our interim director, who hasn't really worked with the marching band very extensively in the past, is quite pleased with our progress this season. One of the things he has been focusing on was also mentioned here: the rhythm in the French National Defile (Le Regiment). It is certainly sounding much better than in previous years!

This week's TBDBITL halftime show was music from the Wizard of Oz. Enjoyable and well executed with another "tribute" to That School Up North by special request of Horn Teacher. Can you guess how That School might be tied into an Oz show??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC8VqIjTDrU

It brought to mind Sky Ryder's very enjoyable Oz show.

This week's TBDBITL halftime show was music from the Wizard of Oz. Enjoyable and well executed with another "tribute" to That School Up North by special request of Horn Teacher. Can you guess how That School might be tied into an Oz show??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC8VqIjTDrU

It brought to mind Sky Ryder's very enjoyable Oz show.

Whoa!!! Did I miss something here?? I never made a request for any "tribute" (mentioned, I hope, by you in jest) to That School Up North. I think I'd rather be an intermediary between the Hatfields and McCoys than to get in the middle of any kind of Ohio St./Michigan or Michigan/Ohio St. (there...even typed it twice so that each school could be mentioned first at least once -- I know my diplomacy) matters. Hey...just because my avatar might appear as Rasputin doesn't automatically make me a Leninist. :wow::wow::wow:

Halftime could be better than the game this year.

Halftime is always better than the game at my Alma Mater ... even this year when the team is actually showing up and has their first 4-1 opening in FOREVER.

I attended Western Carolina University. We may not have the notoriety of The Ohio State's Marching Band ... but the Pride of the Mountains IS the Best #### Band in the Land. :) Followed by UMASS Amherst. :)

I see so many "drum corps" references in that show. Most notable is the company front and the way it was built: dot, halt, rest for four counts, modulate, march towards sidelines with drums (and souza's) behind.

Nice show. Cute references to "M" and OSU as Kansas.

All that said, I'll take Skyryders' version any day and twice on Saturday night.

Whoa!!! Did I miss something here?? I never made a request for any "tribute" (mentioned, I hope, by you in jest) to That School Up North. I think I'd rather be an intermediary between the Hatfields and McCoys than to get in the middle of any kind of Ohio St./******** or ********/Ohio St. (there...even typed it twice so that each school could be mentioned first at least once -- I know my diplomacy) matters. Hey...just because my avatar might appear as Rasputin doesn't automatically make me a Leninist. :wow::wow::wow:

Don't we have profanity filters here on DCP?!? It's one thing to type the name of a state where a drum corps show is scheduled to be held, but to use that school's name in this fashion is surely obscene on a website which observes standards of decorum, family values, and decency.

I had passed what I interpreted to be your previously-expressed desire in this thread to see more of these "tributes" to the new band management, and they told me it might be a challenge, but they would see what they could do. :tounge2:

Personally I'd have written "the tribute" of the show a little differently, with say a football player dressed in a uniform of the not-to-be-mentioned school, riding aimlessly on a bicycle like a running back unable to find the endzone with a map and compass, in the path of the tornado and then flattened in the opening set and left motionless on the field for the duration of the show, but that might have been a bit too graphic. They did a more tasteful job of leaving liquidation to the imagination.

• Like 1