Ohio State University

Sitting and watching that by myself would be akin to sitting and reading Goodnight Moon for 10 minutes. Goodnight Moon is great for what it is intended to be ... a children's book. Not exactly drawing in an experienced, high-volume adult reader is it?

I don't see many people mocking. It's a different product, plain an simple. Almost entirely. The goals are entirely different. The constant comparison around these parts is unnecessary.

To your final point, if Jersey Surf executed similarly to BD, and at the same level of demand as BD, I am certain that they would be top 3. It would be great to see a stalwart medalist corps with the guts to develop a entirely crowd-focused show, while retaining their demand and excellence. But make no mistake, there are people that are in it for the excellence. They won't be interested in swapping Saturday finals night for what we see/hear above either. Ramp up the demand, really ramp up the execution. The design would need more depth as well. I believe you could maintain "fun" and still put more layers and depth into the "fun" product.

What level of general public attention did it get before? Would you say that drum corps was, at one time, a national mainstream activity?

No, it was never mainstream, but there were many more corps, higher attendance both at championships and annually at all drum corps shows combined, and a PBS live telecast of finals in many markets. The audience base has shrunk by almost any measure with the possible exception of total ticket revenue because prices are much higher. Maybe donation support as well. In the early years of DCI, finals ticket prices were around $10 for good seats, so it may have been hard to generate the same level of total ticket revenue with those kinds of prices.

I would love to see corps keep the execution challenge and excellence high, at a top three level, while having a show that translates immediately on the first viewing to audience impact as much as judge impact. Phantom did it in August 2008 (Boo nod: Spartacus, Take 3), though I don't know that they started out with that intention. It evolved into it and worked well for them. It's even harder, I think, to predict what will ignite an audience's passion more than get DCI judges going, and sometimes when designers try, it falls short, especially in audience impact.

"Mocking" is an exaggeration, okay, but there's not always the same level of respect here--maybe it's M#ch$g!n fans--for what it takes to entertain as there is for top-notch execution. And anyone who prefers a show that reaches higher in goals and concepts, I have no problem with that, as I still love what DCI does, but understand why it's not a fit for TV and strong public support anymore. Also notice that ABC is not giving up halftime programming to the bands yet. Next week.

I know some people don't care for it, but they are getting great attention. I could have cared less about college marching band or what OSU has done each week, but each week there show has gone viral and I am looking forward to see what they are doing next. I never thought I would say that. It's entertaining!

I know this is different from OSU, but also some cool stuff. I saw this on Facebook posted by a few "non-band" people. I would love to see more lights used in DCI at a higher level although this has been done by WGI pretty extensively. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n15ysNWeedc

fyi, this show was written by Michael Gaines

ESPN (remember them drum corps fans) just featured the OSU band under a banner of "Is the band more intersting than the team?"

It's apples to oranges no doubt (band to corps), but let's give OSU their deserved credit. They've done something in terms of media recognition that NO OTHER BAND OR MARCHING UNIT (CORPS) as ever done before...in a positive way at least.

Of course it doesn't hurt having a inept villan, that is hated by all but a few in a small state up north, do use week to week.

• Like 1

The OSU band is very good at executing their own style, and I'm impressed with the creativity of this most recent show, considering the limited rehearsal time available to them. It's easy to dig this in context while understanding that the complexity, detail and execution of a top DCI show is created, developed and refined over months of arduous repetition.....it's all good!

Since Ohio State's band seems to make fun of Michigan in every performance, whether the two schools are playing one another at the time or not, maybe another college marching band could start a tradition of indirectly making fun of the OSU band by making fun of schools they NEVER play against.

"Eat dirt, Sarah Lawrence!"

"Take a bath, Oberlin!"

"Go to Hell, Liberty University!"

"You're not a real school, University of Phoenix!"

And, naturally, if one of those schools did eventually somehow wind up on the sports schedule, then they'd have to be taken out of the rotation of schools that get this mocking halftime show treatment.

Can you guys take this to Marching Band Planet? This thread made me throw up in my mouth a little. Especially the comparison to VK part.

Yep, not Corps Style at all. All that Big 10 Show Band stuff is not my thing, but it's certainly entertaining to watch every now and then. Loved the 600 piece Alumni Band. That's impressive.

Since Ohio State's band seems to make fun of Michigan in every performance, whether the two schools are playing one another at the time or not, maybe another college marching band could start a tradition of indirectly making fun of the OSU band by making fun of schools they NEVER play against.

"Take a bath, Oberlin!"

And, naturally, if one of those schools did eventually somehow wind up on the sports schedule, then they'd have to be taken out of the rotation of schools that get this mocking halftime show treatment.

Ok. Sounds good.

Since Ohio State's band seems to make fun of Michigan in every performance, whether the two schools are playing one another at the time or not...

OSU's Michigan references make me think of Crown's 2007 nods to "Devil in Blue", "Green Machine", and "Holy Garfield".

"Take a bath, Oberlin!"

What rotation? tOSU makes fun of only one school.

And what better "entertainment" than for the band to make fun of that team (and band) up north? They relate perfectly to their audience, wouldn't you agree?

I've been in that drum line marching into the Big House for "the" game. Believe me, Wolverines get their pound of flesh, too.

I think the OSU shows are fun. The fact they learn multiple shows a season is quite something.

One thing...the crowd is there for the football. They aren't there for the band. The fact they cheer for the band is great because the band is good, but it's not a band show. How many people in the stands are actually listening to the arrangements, the intonation or are watching the marching? How many understand that it's not a piece of cake to pump out shows like this? I'd say very few. They like the pretty pictures. They recognize the dinosaur, Superman, Harry Potter and the Pirate ships. The media showing these shows are catering to the same crowd. It's also interesting that the same media who are showing OSU, just over a month ago featured news snippets of that high school band with the tuba mashup.

Now ask the same crowd cheering at the football game...Would you like to go to a show that only features bands? Crickets.

It is unwise to underestimate the devotion that tOSU football fans have towards TBDBITL. I know I've mentioned it before, but before each home game tOSU Marching Band gives a free concert, called "Skull Session," in the old basketball arena, St. John's. The band plays the halftime show music as well as other 'standards,' and if there is a visiting band the visiting band often will play. St. John's holds a bit more than 13,000 people, and is routinely standing-room-only for skull sessions. I've been to skull sessions in late August for non-conference cupcake games, where ushers were turning people away at the door because the house was past capacity! The fans love their marching band, and while they are mostly there to watch the football game, they often come 60 min. early for pre-game band performance, and stay in their seats at halftime (and stay in their seats post-game to sing Carmen Ohio, The Ohio State University Alma Mater, after each game).

trivia: the football team & football staff also go to skull session before each game as part of their pre-game team ritual. They have a breakfast or lunch or dinner (depending on kickoff time) at a really nice ballroom, then walk to skull session, and then walk to the locker room to dress for the game. Pretty cool that even the football team makes a point to watch the band perform before each football game! THAT is appreciation and love for a marching band!

• Like 1