Ohio State University

I would not dispute that they are appreciated. But I also understand the context. It is 100% a function of the athletic department. If there is no tOSU football, there is no band. Very simple.

This minor detail is major. And is exactly why the comparisons are so misguided.

Fun and entertaining, perfect for its intended purpose. But I honestly don't think the DCI audience wants to see a slow-moving moonwalk animation drill set to bland arrangements of Michael Jackson tunes at finals. Likewise, I don't think the OSU football crowd is going to suddenly flood the stands in Indy should the activity decide to go this way.

I can't believe this thread has generated 12 pages of discussion on the World Class forum.

Peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

And how is TOSUMB learning these new drills for every home game? They learn the drill on the field with an iPad app showing them where they're supposed to be:

http://www.today.com/video/today/53413415/#53413415

Has any drum corps done this? Is this the next big spending revolution? It could make it easier to revise drills midseason for one thing.

I would not dispute that they are appreciated. But I also understand the context. It is 100% a function of the athletic department. If there is no tOSU football, there is no band. Very simple.

This minor detail is major. And is exactly why the comparisons are so misguided.

Agreed that the reason the band has a performance opportunity and most likely even exists is due to the football team.

However, the reasons that millions of online viewers are watching the band have nothing to do with football team.

• Like 1

Fun and entertaining, perfect for its intended purpose. But I honestly don't think the DCI audience wants to see a slow-moving moonwalk animation drill set to bland arrangements of Michael Jackson tunes at finals. Likewise, I don't think the OSU football crowd is going to suddenly flood the stands in Indy should the activity decide to go this way.

This I would agree with for the most part. I wonder, though if a corps did something like a symmetrical moving picture type thing in an appropriate show/moment if it would be appreciated by the audience. I'm not saying I want to see tOSU marching band competing in DCI, and I'm sure I speak for most of the DCI crowd as well. But is there a way to do something similar, at least a little bit, in our corner of the marching 'arts?' I know Crown's rotating cube thing is similar to an extent

I can't believe this thread has generated 12 pages of discussion on the World Class forum.

IDK. It's A) the offest of off season dead-time for drum corps news/gossip and B) something that's been in the national news quite a bit the last few weeks. I think it's relevant to talk about different styles of marching arts, especially with a bit of this discussion focused on how the two styles (show band & DCI) are inter-related, if there is crossover in fans, etc.

And while I'm biased (I NEVER have a problem talking about my alma mater OR the band director I went to college with), I would much rather discuss this sort of thing than the billionth "who's the best 8th place corps ever" or "amps are evil" or "if I can hear the front ensemble it's too dammed loud" dead horse-beating nonsense that typically floods DCP this time of year

• Like 1

Agreed that the reason the band has a performance opportunity and most likely even exists is due to the football team.

However, the reasons that millions of online viewers are watching the band have nothing to do with football team.

Nailed it! FSU, Alabama, Oregon all have fairly respectable marching bands and higher-ranked football teams (that get a LOT more hype than The Ohio State University football team) but I haven't heard anything about their marching bands at all this fall from non-bandos.

Great point/observation N.E. Brigand!!!

And how is TOSUMB learning these new drills for every home game? They learn the drill on the field with an iPad app showing them where they're supposed to be:

http://www.today.com/video/today/53413415/#53413415

Has any drum corps done this? Is this the next big spending revolution? It could make it easier to revise drills midseason for one thing.

That is really cool tech! I went to college with Jonathan Waters and it's very cool to see him bring this type of technology to TBDBITL. I emailed a couple of drill-writing friends to ask if they know what iPad app that is. It would make sense that Pyware or someone else would have an interactive iOS app. I know there is a DotBook app but I don't know if that is the app in this video

*edit*

it looks like it might be this app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drillbook-next-shows-dotbooks/id547116306?mt=8

Edited by perc2100

This I would agree with for the most part. I wonder, though if a corps did something like a symmetrical moving picture type thing in an appropriate show/moment if it would be appreciated by the audience. I'm not saying I want to see tOSU marching band competing in DCI, and I'm sure I speak for most of the DCI crowd as well. But is there a way to do something similar, at least a little bit, in our corner of the marching 'arts?' I know Crown's rotating cube thing is similar to an extent

IDK. It's A) the offest of off season dead-time for drum corps news/gossip and B) something that's been in the national news quite a bit the last few weeks. I think it's relevant to talk about different styles of marching arts, especially with a bit of this discussion focused on how the two styles (show band & DCI) are inter-related, if there is crossover in fans, etc.

And while I'm biased (I NEVER have a problem talking about my alma mater OR the band director I went to college with), I would much rather discuss this sort of thing than the billionth "who's the best 8th place corps ever" or "amps are evil" or "if I can hear the front ensemble it's too dammed loud" dead horse-beating nonsense that typically floods DCP this time of year

Fair enough, your points are all well taken. I would still submit though that 12 pages is a bit excessive - pretty much dead horse-beating in its own right.

thanks for the dialogue,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

If any drum corps' are going to go down the OSU show design path for 2014, they can watch these helpful videos especially when trying to master technique such as the "Sloopy Step" (it's at 22:50 into this)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSZPSCFCVOs

Edited by rmurrey74