Ohio State University

Agreed that the reason the band has a performance opportunity and most likely even exists is due to the football team.

However, the reasons that millions of online viewers are watching the band have nothing to do with football team.

It most certainly is a significant part of the reason.

Nailed it! FSU, Alabama, Oregon all have fairly respectable marching bands and higher-ranked football teams (that get a LOT more hype than The Ohio State University football team) but I haven't heard anything about their marching bands at all this fall from non-bandos.

Great point/observation N.E. Brigand!!!

Considering the reason the ensemble exists, hence the intent of the programming, is where the analysis begins ... and ends. Most everyone here sees the end result "fun band show video with millions of views" and is analyzing from there on back (and honestly not getting very far back). A DCI corps competitive show would not get millions of views because they would not do what you see there. If a DCI corps did the show we see in the video, at that level, they would likely quickly find themselves out of the medium of competitive drum corps. So if that's what it takes to get millions of views, unfortunately, it is not happening.

This is not even taking into consideration how the huge national footprint that tOSU football provides for perpetuating the viral nature of these shows. And I think there has been plenty of folks in this thread pointing out how uniquely significant the marching band is at tOSU as well. Not simply "fairly respectable". It adds up. So if a DCI corps did exactly what you see there, it still would not have millions of views, because it would only be a blip on the media machine.

So, I'm not sure I can say it any different way. And I am now guilty of significantly contributing to the length of this thread. A complaint that I originally made so many pages ago.

Apologies for the slip up. I'll just say "it is what it is" and move along.

Love OSU. Got my undergrad from THE university.

Yet, They sound and move individually like ####. They exist only for entertainment, not excellence. The comparison ends there. I'll love them until the grave, but their stuff is painfully easy and rarely serves the music education aspect of the activity. Let sleeping dogs lie. They're fun and entertaining (and always better than the Team Up North...just saying') but they don't hold a candle to drum corps. Apples and oranges. Now can we go back to talking DCI?

Yet, They sound and move individually like ####. They exist only for entertainment, not excellence. The comparison ends there. I'll love them until the grave, but their stuff is painfully easy and rarely serves the music education aspect of the activity. Let sleeping dogs lie. They're fun and entertaining (and always better than the Team Up North...just saying') but they don't hold a candle to drum corps. Apples and oranges. Now can we go back to talking DCI?

If people are buying apples and not oranges, aren't the orange producers justified in wondering if there's something about the apple producers they should be emulating?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Or if there's some way to get all those apple fans to realize that they're buying an inferior product and that they should prefer oranges?

I have to disagree with this specific comment (highlighted)...

I assume you are refering to the "educational aspects" the members of TBDBITL receive by being a part of this band (or any other college marching band).

Keep in mind that there are MANY things that can fall under "educational aspects" and in

some ways a college band can provide their members (students) with an education that they might not get from a drum corps experience.

I would point out that the OSU marching band may offer more in terms of relating to the "real world" of future band directors than drum corps might. Even in a state like Ohio that has MANY fine competition bands, the large majority (more than double) of high school bands DO NOT participate in competitive events. They see their purpose as being much more aligned to that of the college marching band than that of a drum corps.

In that regard the OSU band is indeed providing important "educational aspect" to their membership. (and yes, not all of their member are music ed folks)

I would also argue that the band does indeed provide some "music education aspects" concerning improving performance skills on their instruments and all that goes with preparing for a performance, but agree it would not compare to the level of some drum corps...but music students at OSU (and any other college) have other organizations at their school that are more focused on that "educational aspect." The OSU Wind Symphony is indeed World Class in this regard.

Finally, we are all welcome to our opinions. I can't agree with your comment that they sound and move individually like ####. (unless ### means GOOD) No, they would not be of the level of a DCI finalist corps...but they don't have to be. And I would point out that no DCI finalist corps is of that level either after 4 or 5 rehearsals...the typical amount of time a college marching band has for a performance.

ps This thread, while about the OSU marching band, is still about drum corps too :-)

I happen to like both apples and oranges.

• Like 1

I find the elitism I read in some of these posts both entertaining and disturbing, and I think it speaks a little to the reasons for the decline in participation and attendance in the drum corps activity. Saying the OSU band "only" entertains, and doesn't provide "excellence" or "educational aspects" drips of snobbery. If ALL a drum corps show provides is educational naval gazing, I'm sure the 3 people who like it will be thrilled. That's where this activity is drifting, IMO. It used to be that marching bands learned from drum corps. Sadly, now I think drum corps could learn from marching bands.

• Like 2

I find the elitism I read in some of these posts both entertaining and disturbing, and I think it speaks a little to the reasons for the decline in participation and attendance in the drum corps activity. Saying the OSU band "only" entertains, and doesn't provide "excellence" or "educational aspects" drips of snobbery. If ALL a drum corps show provides is educational naval gazing, I'm sure the 3 people who like it will be thrilled. That's where this activity is drifting, IMO. It used to be that marching bands learned from drum corps. Sadly, now I think drum corps could learn from marching bands.

not that I agree or disagree with you BUT who do you blame for this, how did this start ...when did elite become a dirty word...just askin................who do you believe the driving force is behind many of these marching bands?

Edited by GUARDLING

Drum corps folks are so desperate to be "holier than thou" that we've resorted to long-winded diatribes about how TBDBITL is getting a tremendous amount of attention, and then critique them becuase they're not good enough? Really folks? Are we jealous that they're getting all the attention? This is getting down right pathetic.

Let me say this... I'd rather pay $100 to go see TBDBITL at an OSU football game, then pay $45 to go to a drum corps show.

At least TBDBITL is entertaining.... drum corps, not so much anymore.

#BOOM

Oh, and of course they don't meet your stanbdards for marching an playing. I would sound like that too if I only had four days to learn a show. BUt it sounds #### good to me, and you won't hear a single person in the Shoe complain about them one bit.

What a bunch of premadonna's we've become. Drum corps fan needs to take a freaking pill and get over itself.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2