I remember someone talking about using stadium lights in shows

We used flash cubes (remember them?) with a band I taught 35 years ago.

• Like 1

Bryonce supported it so very much by making that video introduction 'apologizing' she could not show up. Riiiiiight.... that's just code for either: a) they did not offer her enough money to show up; or b) they invited her but she views marching band in pretty much the same way as most of the rest of the world.

• Like 1

Bryonce supported it so very much by making that video introduction 'apologizing' she could not show up. Riiiiiight.... that's just code for either: a) they did not offer her enough money to show up; or b) they invited her but she views marching band in pretty much the same way as most of the rest of the world.

of c) she actually couldn't show up even though she thought it was cool?

Don't get me wrong, as a tOSU alum I am no fan of U of Michigan, and I personally think the show in this topic is fairly cheesy**

However, pop acts utilizing marching bands and drum lines seems to be fairly trendy lately, and outside of the obvious PR move on Byonce's part (having a video intro for a high-profile school at a VERY high profile nationally televised football game) it's not impossible to think Byonce genuinely thought it was cool but couldn't make time to go.

**FWIW outside of the "Ohio State taking jabs at Michigan after Michigan took jabs as Ohio State" aspect, I thought the TBDBITL show was also uber cheesy: albeit BOTH shows are entertaining to the fan base which is all collegiate marching band is about.

• Like 2

IMO it didn't seem like the lighting they did in that show really contributed to anything other than the "wow they turned the lights off and have lasers" effect ....sometimes I feel this about some of the electronics in the shows these days....some feels like its there because they feel like they have to but yet add nothing in some cases. Again just my opinion

I agree. I'm never a fan of "lets utilize technology/props/trends for the sole purpose of doing it and WITHOUT a legit organic design reason for the trend" style of designing. The crowd likely thought it was cool, though, and really that's all that matters. I like to ask my mom her opinions about stuff like this, as she has zero music training and is the epitome of the average marching band fan: she's not going to look for a super deep meaning per say, she's not going to be entertained by artistry, she's going to judge a performance on little more than entertainment value. She probably would've thought this was pretty cool, and while the rest of us critics have our own thought-provoking opinions on how this may or may not score well on sheets in this venue U of Michigan did something different that the crowd likely enjoyed.

I've seen some cool use of visual lighting-type stuff on football fields and WGI arenas, so it's possible to utilize that kind of thing for cool effects (even if it's as simplistic as "LCD lights come on the snare drums when the snare line plays a solo"). But I'm with you: there have been lame uses that felt like designers "forced" the concept without any legit context design-wise.

And the biggest high school band I've heard in awhile. There are a lot of things to like about Big 10 football, but the bands are decidedly not one of them. Unfortunately, they paint the picture of what the general public thinks of when they see anyone in something that resembles a band uniform.

Is that not what college marching band is literally ALL about, though: entertain the crowd at half time, support the football team during the game. There is little/no reason to have an artistically rich show with lots of philosophical depth or something: the inebriated collegiate football crowd doesn't get into that kind of thing. It's makes more sense to do the rah rah patriotic stuff, movie music, jazz standards, etc. Sure, that's what the general public sees as marching band, but that's why drum corps is a niche of a niche activity. I think the Big Ten bands are very good at what they do: entertaining crowds at half time, supporting the football team during the game, and being unique in more ways than just uniform color & style. The bands are wildly popular, have a pretty awesome reputation nationally, and most have a long, rich tradition.

I agree. I'm never a fan of "lets utilize technology/props/trends for the sole purpose of doing it and WITHOUT a legit organic design reason for the trend" style of designing.

we are so few in this activity that think this way.

in terms of using the actual stadium lights, not all stadiums are the same.

Lights are already a "thing" in DCA. Minnesota Brass had working headlights on the car they used for their "Bonnie & Clyde" show in 2012. And for the life of me, I can't recall who had lights on their rifles this year... I think it was Atlanta CV with their space show, but don't quote me on that.

**FWIW outside of the "Ohio State taking jabs at Michigan after Michigan took jabs as Ohio State" aspect, I thought the TBDBITL show was also uber cheesy: albeit BOTH shows are entertaining to the fan base which is all collegiate marching band is about.

And that's the most important thing. People try and think all marching band should be super serious acts like drum corps, but college band should be everything but that. I had tons of fun doing entertaining shows, and the fans enjoyed it. It's the same when a band like Notre Dame or USC or Texas or Cal comes on the field, they do it to be entertaining, not for uber-precision. Although there are bands out there that can do that, like UMASS and WCU

Lights are already a "thing" in DCA. Minnesota Brass had working headlights on the car they used for their "Bonnie & Clyde" show in 2012. And for the life of me, I can't recall who had lights on their rifles this year... I think it was Atlanta CV with their space show, but don't quote me on that.

It was Atlanta CV. A very cool effect.

I very well could be wrong on this, but I swear I remember DCA's Empire Statesmen using back-lighting on one of their props a number of years ago.