Texas , Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado

Kansan

Drum corps is picking up momentum again in the south via Florida and Georgia. That puts shows within 11-15 hours of most Texas corps. (I know it's not exactly down the street, but it's way better than 24 hours of travel to the northeast shows.)

well, DCA instituted the 35 minimum membership rule, and if you believe some posters on here ( cough cough Shadow) that killed them.

Sadly for whatever reason, they couldn't get 35 bodies to commit and stick around

well, DCA instituted the 35 minimum membership rule, and if you believe some posters on here ( cough cough Shadow) that killed them.

Sadly for whatever reason, they couldn't get 35 bodies to commit and stick around

Hmmmm... Vigilantes is/was from the Dallas area; Frontier is/was from the Ft. Worth Area. That particular metroplex has nearly 7,000,000 residents and those two corps could not collectively find 70 bodies interested in committing and sticking around to be a part of DCA. Interesting ratio.

Hmmmm... Vigilantes is/was from the Dallas area; Frontier is/was from the Ft. Worth Area. That particular metroplex has nearly 7,000,000 residents and those two corps could not collectively find 70 bodies interested in committing and sticking around to be a part of DCA. Interesting ratio.

Well....I don't know the specifics, but that was Shadows semi annual rant, that they couldn't get the bodies. To me that says the organization didn't recruit the right way or make it enticing for people to stick around, or a variety of issues. Of course, he never wanted to hear that

:tongue:

• Like 2

Membership is a contantly revolving thing. I think our corps is on it's 7th or so generation since '04.

Gulf Coast and Frontier each had good runs for a while. Vigilantes, the spin off Corps of Frontier had what looked like a strong group with good fundraising ideas. I think it was the high cost of membership and constant fundraising that might have burned people out.

I hope these corps can make a comeback. Denton was a pretty good place for a show and not too far a trip from KC. I remember the member spike we had after we posted the pics from that show then the economy crashed.

Sound Sport is helping us pick up members now. I'm hoping to revitalize and reorganize our Corps so we can be a player out here when things pick up for everyone.

• Like 2

Gulf Coast made trips to Atlanta and Orlando for a period and hosted a DCA South show . Stars made an appearance at one Atlanta show when Brent was Director

Unfortunately for a couple of them it wasn't the economy or membership or travel that caused them to cease at this time... I will just leave it at that !

GuldfCoast tried and is still trying to revive, under a different name and mgment!

Edited by hurcwave
  • Like 2

GuldfCoast tried and is still trying to revive, under a different name and mgment!

If you are referring to Texas Encorps, they are in no way affiliated with GCS. GCS still exists in a suspended state, with all of our instrumentation, uniforms, and equipment.

• Like 1

.......and New York City is brimming with corps?

• Like 2

You give me too much credit. As I've maybe posted twice on here in that past two years. Delusions of grandeur are all yours I'm afraid.

IMO, the 35 minimum rule was the cause. The effect is NO DCA competitive corps for the state of Texas. Which was the intent wasn't it?

As far as the TXDCP show, it still happens. Vigilantes had their show in the Dallas area as well. But rules being what the rules are, there's just no affiliations with DCA. Or intent to even try.

Austin Stars have pretty much morphed into a color guard. World Gone Mad is still around and strong in the Austin area. Not 35 minimum strong, and the instrumentation would never fly in DCA land. But still playing ball 7+ years later. I'm not sure about GCS, they hooked up with the local college, and after a few years I guess things didn't pan out.

The fact of the matter is that without the competitive factor, there is zero motivation to leave town. With 200 miles between corps, it's an 8 hour drive round trip and it has no net benefit in terms of "recruiting". And yet two years after my last significant post and Jeff is still Jeff. I suppose I should thank DCA, as I no longer spend thousands per year and hundreds of hours to fail at getting DCA to do so much as lift a pencil and scribble.

• Like 3