Texas , Louisiana, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Colorado

Kansan

I was stationed at Fort Hood with the 1st Cavalry Division Band and in between Iraq tours we toured the state and would often have drum corps veterans come and talk to me, and ask questions. It's obvious they still loved music and want to be apart of something so I always wondered what happened in this region since DCI is able to recruit so strongly. Factor in the larger universities with big bands or music programs I figured it'd be an easy sell.

Love some Shenandoah Sound! They just perform for the love it, try new things and develop every year. At DCA South Championships, they broke into a full dance of the Cupid Shuffle as they trooped the stands and the crowd went wild. I was standing on the field and looked at one of my corpmates and said "that's my favorite corps. They keep it real and just don't care."

• Like 2

I was stationed at Fort Hood with the 1st Cavalry Division Band and in between Iraq tours we toured the state and would often have drum corps veterans come and talk to me, and ask questions. It's obvious they still loved music and want to be apart of something so I always wondered what happened in this region since DCI is able to recruit so strongly. Factor in the larger universities with big bands or music programs I figured it'd be an easy sell.

Love some Shenandoah Sound! They just perform for the love it, try new things and develop every year. At DCA South Championships, they broke into a full dance of the Cupid Shuffle as they trooped the stands and the crowd went wild. I was standing on the field and looked at one of my corpmates and said "that's my favorite corps. They keep it real and just don't care."

Thanks for the compliment. We have 2 primary rules: have fun and entertain. If we are not trying to entertain the crowd, whether parade or competition, then we aren't doing our job.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well....I don't know the specifics, but that was Shadows semi annual rant, that they couldn't get the bodies. To me that says the organization didn't recruit the right way or make it enticing for people to stick around, or a variety of issues. Of course, he never wanted to hear that

tongue.gif

You are more than welcome to spend your dime to come here to see drumcorps perform. TXDCP sometime in June 2014 in Austin. And probably a show in Southlake Texas, that same weekend.

Speaking solely for World Gone Mad back in the day (I haven't been with them for years now), we'd looked at possibly going out one day as a mini corps, but never had any intention of getting up to 35 members and competing on the field. Marching is for suckers.

But one thing we found out, and I know Austin Stars had similar issues - finding musicians (especially percussionists) over 21 to do what is essentially a "free" gig is darn near impossible in Central Texas. There are just too many performing arts, bands, etc. in the area - it often feels like there are more openings than musicians around here. Unless you're able to deal with high schools in the area, I don't see any All Age corps succeeding down here.

Mike

Mike,

There has got to be some Hobby drummers/percussionists down there that just want to play.

I know what you mean about High School kids though. The High Schools up here operate full tilt starting the last week of July. those kids are too busy to to anything like Drum Corps on the side. the only option I see to get High School age kids involved would be to recruit from an area where the music program has been shut down.

Edited by Kansan