Cavaliers Cell Phone Question

..always makes me wonder ( only because i see it in many I know ) how many actually would have to guts to say face to face what they do behind a phone or computer. I've often seen in members as well as so called adults they usually clam up as soon as confronted eye to eye.

Totally agree.... was following the Washington Naval Yard shootings online and was sickened by some of the comments posted. Few weeks back someone (forget who) was amazed that some DCPers have met face to face at shows. Got the idea this poster though we just bashed each other and there would be a fight if memebrs ever met. Had to laugh since I usually run into 5-10 DCPers at DCA Weekend and look forward to seeing them again.

Well one poster did say that having this policy made it a healthier social atmosphere at Cavies than other corps who don't do anything to inhibit obsessive cellphone behavoir...

I would assume you are talking about me. I don't have any basis for what other corps social atmospheres are like as I never marched another corps. I can only speak for where I marched and can say it was an amazing social atmosphere. The fact is Cavaliers choose to do things a differently sometimes and everyone just has to deal with it. I'm sure every other corps has a great social aspect but, and this was started by Fielder in the early 2000s and carried on by the members starting last year, the Cavaliers decided to not even bother with the chance of having a cell phone on tour that could distract from tasks at hand or developing those important relationships with your brothers. The Cavaliers are a fraternity, brotherhood is very important and something that we don't take lightly. Everyone on here debating whether or not this policy is a good thing should really understand that for you, it's a non issue. As stated by a few people earlier, if you don't like the policy go march somewhere else.

To others who bring competitive success of the corps into this discussion, the corps didn't allow cellphones from 2000-2009 either and those were some pretty good years as well.

Also to the person asking if this was a "member" (meaning staff really) decision. It was a member decision. There were still members that marched this past year when no cell phones were allowed on tour and apparently they felt that policy was good enough to reinstate it themselves. The staff had nothing to do with it from a competitive standpoint as I know the staff now (at least percussively) do not preach anything specific to "winning", so I'm pretty sure it wasn't that.

• Like 2

Well one poster did say that having this policy made it a healthier social atmosphere at Cavies than other corps who don't do anything to inhibit obsessive cellphone behavoir...

And that person was NOT an actual member of the Cavaliers, so it's probably best to take those comments with a grain of salt.

9 pages of this ?

Did you know you can change the number of posts displayed on each page via "My Settings"? You can go up to 40 posts per page. It's more palatable when you only have to consider this thread as having three pages. :tongue:

• Like 4

lol..true....but thats on most subjects..from plume color to design choices, to what the food truck serves...lol.....gotta love it !

Yep - it's when people don't speak up you've got a problem.

IOW if they don't ##### they don't care....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I get that you are an alumn & all, but this no cell phone rule is as stupid as stupid can be. It is 2013 & parents want to be connected with their children. I gotta believe though that members use their cell phones in secret.

Some would say that parents with 18+ year old kids need to learn to let go.

For those who need their daily fix of what's going on with junior, The Cavaliers post multiple daily written and video updates about what is going on with the corps as a whole on their website, Twitter and Facebook pages (yes, I said pages plural -- there is a Facebook page for marching member parents only). Parents have the ability to drop in on tour, or to send messages through other parent volunteers on tour. If there ever is an emergency situation that REQUIRES parents to immediately contact their kid on tour, the Cavaliers have a system to make that happen.

As for the members, there are already several posts in this thread from recent members detailing the benefits of the policy and the fact that most of the kids LIKE the policy.

This policy works well for the Cavaliers. It might not work for every kid in drum corps. For those kids, there are other options.

• Like 3

I'd raise Hell if I could not be directly contacted while my cell was in the car.

So, you would you whine, complain, and throw a hissy at work; and this also implies that if you were a Cavalier member or a Cavalier parent you would you also whine, complain, and throw a hissy.

That falls under the "rules making sense" part of my post. If rules stated that I could not have a cell with a camera (used to be the policy in part of the building) or smart technology then I would get a "granny" phone that did voice only.

Just curious, who are you (or I) to determine what rules 'make sense' and what rules 'do not make sense' at our places of employment or in The Cavaliers, even if we were parents of Cavalier members? To me, I would just go work somewhere else or have my son go march somewhere else if it was that big of an issue because I believe it is up to the owner of the company or the Director and Board of the Corps to make the rules; and whether or not I agree with them or not is rather irrelevant because it is my job to agree to 'comply' not complain; but that is me.

And to be clear in the last few years I've received phone calls that said family members have just died or have only a few hours left so my view is pretty biased.

My heart goes out to you; and I, and probably many others, have also received the same type of calls at work. But I never, as you put it, raised hell, nor even was upset at all that I did not have a cell phone on me, when I received a tap on the shoulder and a supervisor said to me, "You have a call on line 2 in my office", then thirty seconds later I was talking to my wife because my mom was just placed in the hospital. That thirty seconds did not effect anything at all and did not justify me raising hell about not being able to have 'immediate and direct' contact to the outside world while at work.

• Like 1

Yep - it's when people don't speak up you've got a problem.

IOW if they don't ##### they don't care....

Conversely, it seems some people aren't happy unless they're complaining about the mundane.

Also, why should someone who aged-out awhile ago & have no family interested in marching Cavaliers, care enough to debate a policy that has zero affect on them whatsoever. It's like if I jumped in to have a debate about the virtues of Canadian Health Care, something that has no impact on me as an American.

But, I get it's the internet, and vociferously debating the mundane and pointlessness is what we do...

• Like 1