Cavaliers Cell Phone Question

Won't waste the corps time with questions from a outsider. If someone knows it would be nice if they fill us in. Gee thought that was one of the uses of social media.

If not, why snarky comments on a serious subject.... Interesting how people get PO'ed by asking questions.

No snark on my part. It has been my experience, no matter the corps, no matter if I was a part of the corps or an outsider, it has been my experience that all inquiries are welcomed and encouraged thus it is not a 'waste of their time'. So if you actually want to know how emergency situations are handled just contact The Cavaliers or 'the corps of your choice'. Or are you not serious on wanting to know the answer?

I tried to change to 40 posts per page under "My Settings" and clicked refresh. I'm still at 10 per page? Please guide me step by step.

My Settings>Your Options/Forums>Number of posts to show for each topic page=40/Number of topics to show for each forum page=40>Save Changes.

That what works for me. (One can choose 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 or 40 for each the number of posts or number of topics per page.)

I'm stumped why it might not work for you. Would someone please try it and let us know if it works for them? Thank you.

• Like 1

why would you want to view 40 per page? My finger would get tired from scrolling. tongue.gif

I've always been more annoyed by constantly clicking on the page numbers buttons near the bottom of each topic. Maybe my index finger is stronger due to all the typing I do as a writer. If that's not the reason, I don't want to know what is.

Shock and horror

I currently don’t have a cell phone. For the past few years I’ve used a crappy tracphone that was $20 at the grocery store and the minutes expired a while back and I haven’t gotten around to refreshing them. I can go weeks without it

So, this all seems a bit hysterical and silly to me

Life without a cell phone isn’t difficult, it’s rather nice – it’s not me being luddite, its more a lifestyle choice….sort of like me not having cable….they don’t call us dinosaurs for nothing - I'll go back to my cave now

You sound as if you believe that the members going commando on the personal communications front for three months is tantamount to them jumping into the lion cage at the zoo wearing beef-scented cologne. If the parents need to reach a member, they do, and the member contacts them back.

And if you think that if you have 100 people describe any event to another 100 people that you're NOT going to have a ground littered with inaccuracies, you've never met a human being. People will make mistakes in reporting, and other people will hear something other than what was actually said. Minimizing the number of people who pass the vital info on has a tendency to lead to better communication.

Well you deftly missed the point. Please reread my post and tell me where I said I believe the members should go commando. You are really spinning and exaggerating mycomments. I was describing how I would want communication about a possible urgency between ME and MY kid. Not my kid and the news media or 100 other numbskulls. Let me be clear. I have not seen anythng in this thread that demonstrates, shows, describes or otherwise proves there is a real issue with a an MM havning a cell phone to use while on tour.

Really what is the real problem here? Cell phone use diminishes focus. HOW? Please tell me specifically how. And no matter what any corps policy is, I, as a parent do have the right to determine how I want to communicate with my kid in case of an emergency and don't give me that corps policy line because a corps instituting a "policy" banning cell phone use has bigger problems than cell phone use. And isn't part of the DC experience one of teaching kids responsibility? So banning versus teaching responsible, logical and respectful use of a cell phone in the context of DC and the MM's behavior is the way to go?

Well you deftly missed the point. Please reread my post and tell me where I said I believe the members should go commando. You are really spinning and exaggerating mycomments. I was describing how I would want communication about a possible urgency between ME and MY kid. Not my kid and the news media or 100 other numbskulls. Let me be clear. I have not seen anythng in this thread that demonstrates, shows, describes or otherwise proves there is a real issue with a an MM havning a cell phone to use while on tour.

Really what is the real problem here? Cell phone use diminishes focus. HOW? Please tell me specifically how. And no matter what any corps policy is, I, as a parent do have the right to determine how I want to communicate with my kid in case of an emergency and don't give me that corps policy line because a corps instituting a "policy" banning cell phone use has bigger problems than cell phone use. And isn't part of the DC experience one of teaching kids responsibility? So banning versus teaching responsible, logical and respectful use of a cell phone in the context of DC and the MM's behavior is the way to go?

yes you do have the right to communicate the way you want BUT a corps does not have to change their rules for you or any parent. As someone else said If you dont like the policy , which corps FOR ANY REASON have this right, move on to another. Corps also can not teach all the responsible things one many want...thats a parents job.

Just for the record..as I said its also social media BUT its the worst thing watching all the texting when the expereince is about the team etc etc.

personally If I ever see texting while im teaching or talking to corps members, lets just say it will be a long time before I see it from that person again...No matter whos on the other end.

The question from the OP was about a particular policy implemented by the members of a specific corps. If someone outside that organization has problems with it, their concerns are of no more importance than whether they like a given corps' choice of uniform colors.

I'd imagine that any parent who had the same level of concern about being able to contact little Zach or Lauren (the 2010s equivalent to Johnny and Susie cool.gif) every day would try to steer their kid to another organization. But in this case, the corps has had the policy off and on for a number of years, and the members seem to like it well enough that they voluntarily re-instated it.

So yes, exactly: what's the problem here?

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

Interesting. My first instinct is that the corps experience teaches a more impressive lesson if members still have the temptation of mobile electronics on tour, but learn to use them in responsible moderation. On the other hand, the manner in which Cavalier members voted for their own cell phone policy shows another impressive lesson learned and put into practice.

• Like 4

From what I've seen, it seems that the corps with the highest use of of cell phones is INT. The most looked at topic on the phones? Waffles.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled off-season topic.