Cavaliers Cell Phone Question

I marched in a corps that allowed cell phone usage and beat the Cavaliers at the end of the summer, and never had problems not getting to know the people in my corps, or having a meaningful relationship with them. So those of us that use phones on tour aren't complete shut-ins that just surf the Web during off times.

• Like 1

What does beating the Cavaliers have to do with this discussion? We got beat in the early 2000s sometoo and we didn't allow phones then either. It's a simple fact, you want to have your phone on tour, don't march with us. There are many other successful corps out there that allow it.

Edited by drummer5485
  • Like 3

Since we're talking about Cavies and contemporary media communication, I see that a lady who has done seamstress work for them and for another corps psted this morning on the other corps' website that one of the staff members of the Cavaliers has recently been shot and robbed (money, not scores.) Anything to it? or just off season gossip?

Since we're talking about Cavies and contemporary media communication, I see that a lady who has done seamstress work for them and for another corps psted this morning on the other corps' website that one of the staff members of the Cavaliers has recently been shot and robbed (money, not scores.) Anything to it? or just off season gossip?

The first place I'd start the investigation is in Rockford.

• Like 1

What does beating the Cavaliers have to do with this discussion? We got beat in the early 2000s sometoo and we didn't allow phones then either. It's a simple fact, you want to have your phone on tour, don't march with us. There are many other successful corps out there that allow it.

Not a shot at you, since you marched in my favorite shows from the Cavaliers, but one poster said that the Cavaliers have a better environment because they don't allow phones on tour. I don't think that's a very fair statement to make, since there's about 40 other corps out there, and the kids mostly seem to have a good place to march even with their technology. I always liked having that link to the outside world, it gave me a break from drum corps 24-7 for 78 days. That's a long time to only be spending time with the same 150 people, so having some kind of escape was great. I know it's not for everyone, or else people would flock to Cavaliers every year. If the rule works for them, that's fine. I just wouldn't want people saying that the Cavaliers have an inherently better corps environment because they don't allow cell phones than every other corps out there.

I am not Catholic but long ago I did find the concept of giving up something for Lent sort of intriguing. So, I tried it; and from that point forward I have discovered wonderful things each and every year. I have also discovered that while things like technology are wonderful as useful tools they should never be so important as to consume our lives. My favorite experience was a few years back; it was refreshing to spend a portion of the year spending close time with my family and no TV or Internet. We played board games, read books out loud to each other, laughed, told stories. An experience I will never forget and it has brought us closer together as well as weened us off of 'having' to watch a program or 'having' to check our email.

• Like 1

Yes, Dude,

You are absolutely right - that you are guessing. I've only been involved in these "pagentry" activities for twenty-some years, helped organize from the beginning and raise to medal-winning level more than one long-lived top-level competing unit and helped with many specific design elements of lots of other very successful units. My own children came along a bit after I had already been deeply involved and I've had a rather weird path to learning how to act like a good parent, when around other parents in these activities.

For a couple of decades and more I've been going to DCI shows and finals with a trunk-full of care-packages to deliver to all the kids and working staff folks I know back in the bus-parking back acres - in the odd times when I'm not actually delivering stuff they need to add to their shows. I'm guessing that I know a hell of a lot more about all aspects of DCI and all the other marching activities (and relatively renowned and famous folks involved in them) than you do.

I get that you are an alumn & all, but this no cell phone rule is as stupid as stupid can be. It is 2013 & parents want to be connected with their children. I gotta believe though that members use their cell phones in secret.

I marched in a corps that allowed cell phone usage and beat the Cavaliers at the end of the summer, and never had problems not getting to know the people in my corps, or having a meaningful relationship with them. So those of us that use phones on tour aren't complete shut-ins that just surf the Web during off times.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I get that you are an alumn & all, but this no cell phone rule is as stupid as stupid can be. It is 2013 & parents want to be connected with their children. I gotta believe though that members use their cell phones in secret.

By your 'it is 2013' reasoning, when a bank employee is not allowed to bring their personal cell phone into the office it is also as stupid as stupid can be. It is 2013 & parents want to be connected to their children (who, by the way, in my opinion should not have access to cell phones while they are in class at school either).

By your 'it is 2013' reasoning, when a bank employee is not allowed to bring their personal cell phone into the office it is also as stupid as stupid can be. It is 2013 & parents want to be connected to their children (who, by the way, in my opinion should not have access to cell phones while they are in class at school either).

You are comparing a child marching in a Drum & Bugle Corps to a Bank employee? Ok...