Cavaliers Cell Phone Question

You are comparing a child marching in a Drum & Bugle Corps to a Bank employee? Ok...

a) The quicker someone learns to accept the no cell phone rule the better employee they will become; and b) I would hardly call any member of The Cavaliers a 'child' needing to call mommy using a cell phone.

Well I guess if they are all on board with this then who are we to say anything. I personally loved getting text messages from my son on tour. I never expected him to answer and was grateful any time I did hear from him.

• Like 1

You are comparing a child marching in a Drum & Bugle Corps to a Bank employee? Ok...

And 8 hours a day in a place with a phone in a fixed location compared to few months with hopefully an emergency number or two on the road.

LOL sister works in a bank and she can carry her personal phone, we know only to call in emergency or text if something big going on (family member getting medical tests for example). I work Uncle Sam and can use the cell but only text and voice. No pics of course or smart technology use in the building.

Can be done if people are serious and rules make sense.

1st these arent "children" in drum corps BUT the no cell rule does a few things. 1. keeps a focus. 2. keeps one free of outside elements, opinions,debates etc etc.

I think periodic times to contact family is a good thing BUT I also think with all the lessons drum corps can teach, Independence, taking care of one self, self reliance and plain ole growing up is a major part of it.

In addition, it can also curb the social media gossip. I personally have seen kids who insisted on posting things on social media when specifically told and warned more than once NOT TO POST sent home for posting their inner most feelings when they might have got slapped ( figure of speach ) at a rehearsal and feel the need to bad mouth their own corps,instructors, director or other members.Unfortunately ( for them ) I have seen over the years MANY sent home, some as late as a few weeks before championships. If there is a limit to the use of cell phones or computers the temptation goes away and one learns how to deal with it without whining to the world.

And 8 hours a day in a place with a phone in a fixed location compared to few months with hopefully an emergency number or two on the road.

What is this 'hopefully have an emergency contact' stuff!!! The Cavaliers performers, if an emergency situation arises, have very quick access to multiple staff cell phones 24 hours a day seven days a week; and the parents of those performers can contact those same cell phones in an emergency situation 24 hours a day seven days a week.

LOL sister works in a bank and she can carry her personal phone, we know only to call in emergency or text if something big going on (family member getting medical tests for example). I work Uncle Sam and can use the cell but only text and voice. No pics of course or smart technology use in the building.

Can be done if people are serious and rules make sense.

Would you comply if the Uncle Sam work policy required you to leave your phone in the car while you are on their clock? Or would you whine, complain, and throw a hissy?

I get that you are an alumn & all, but this no cell phone rule is as stupid as stupid can be. It is 2013 & parents want to be connected with their children. I gotta believe though that members use their cell phones in secret.

And yet it is the students who are marching, not the parents. The students (for the most part) sign the contracts. The students agree to give up the cell phones. Parents can want to be in touch with their students all they want. If an 18 year old wants to give up his cell phone in order to be in the corps, that's his choice, and I know plenty who have made that choice happily. If a parent of a minor doesn't want to be out of touch with their student, they don't have to let their child march Cavaliers. Nobody is being secretive here. Its a policy that has been in place for about as long as there have been cell phones.

The policy doesn't put any of the members in danger. It doesn't break any laws. Any member knows of the policy in advance of signing a contract (or even auditioning in most cases). This is a non issue. Marching Cavaliers is a choice. Want to have a cell phone on tour? Choose another drum corps. Seems pretty simple to me.

• Like 4

I think we're also forgetting, this rule was brought back at the request of the MEMBERS, not the staff. The members themselves voted to bring this rule back to the corps, obviously they feel that it was an important part of the corps at some point.

• Like 1

The policy doesn't put any of the members in danger. It doesn't break any laws. Any member knows of the policy in advance of signing a contract (or even auditioning in most cases). This is a non issue. Marching Cavaliers is a choice. Want to have a cell phone on tour? Choose another drum corps. Seems pretty simple to me.

Don't want a cell phone and have a #####? Join the Cavaliers. :thumbup: If not, there are many other corps to call home.

I think we're also forgetting, this rule was brought back at the request of the MEMBERS, not the staff. The members themselves voted to bring this rule back to the corps, obviously they feel that it was an important part of the corps at some point.

I can't help but wonder how this vote came about. They have had two low scoring years in a row now. If the members got blamed for an alleged lack of focus, citing cell phone use as the "proof", then I would say that's putting pressure on the members to vote the way they did. On the other hand, if the members themselves discussed it and held their own vote (or made the recommendation to put it to a vote to staff without being prompted) then it's certainly an impressive display of self-restraint that would normally be highly unlikely in a group of young people. (But then, the Cavvies are no ordinary group of young people.)

Either way it won't fix the corps' issues by itself, but it's not a bad thing either.

Anyone know if this vote was in response to "words" from staff?