Corps T-Shirt Misunderstood by public

Kansan

I was traveling to Gulf Shores, AL a week after our local drum corps show and was wearing my fresh from the souvi stand Old Bones Crossmen T-Shirt and I never thought it would or could be taken in a negative way.

We stopped at a McDonalds in Mobile, AL and I got some really strange and some angry looks :mad: from people looking at my T-Shirt.

Then it hit me :tic: , Crossmen, Southern Cross, figure of a Skeletal Man wearing a cross uniform. Uh Oh.

Sure, I could have made an attempt to explain what Crossmen was and what the skeletal figure stood for but noone was talking, just staring, so I scooted out of there before things got ugly.

I'm not even going to go into my experiences while wearing my Sky Ryders Rainbow shirt. I'm just glad I didn't buy the shirt with the Sky Ryder Soprano player riding the chrome rocket.

Anyone have similiar experiences wearing their Drum Corps T-Shirts?

• Like 3

I've shared this story in another thread in DCP, but last June New England had an early heat wave. I'm the pastor of a Catholic Church and the air conditioning was out of order. The church building is huge (can seat about 1500) and I got up early to open the doors, hoping the cool air would make the building more tolerable. Since it was about 5:30 AM, I was not dressed in what I'd typically wear on a Sunday morning while opening the church. One parishioner enjoys the peace and quiet of the empty church and walked in as soon as the doors were opened. I went back to the rectory, had breakfast and got ready for the day. After the first Mass which the man attended, he came up, shook my hand, and said "Father, it's gonna be hot today. I bet you're looking forward to tonight when you can sit back and enjoy a ice cold Carolina Crown." My first thought was why did our friends in Fort Mill, SC name a youth activity after a beer? Then I saw the t-shirt I was wearing when I opened the church: it was 2012's Carolina Crown t-shirt.

• Like 1

When I was marching, the silky Cavaliers member jackets, black with green stripes down the arms, were sometimes mistaken as gang jackets in certain Chicago neighborhoods.

• Like 1

When I was marching, the silky Cavaliers member jackets, black with green stripes down the arms, were sometimes mistaken as gang jackets in certain Chicago neighborhoods.

The way Chicago gangs have acted in recent years, it still might cause some issues.

I've shared this story in another thread in DCP, but last June New England had an early heat wave. I'm the pastor of a Catholic Church and the air conditioning was out of order. The church building is huge (can seat about 1500) and I got up early to open the doors, hoping the cool air would make the building more tolerable. Since it was about 5:30 AM, I was not dressed in what I'd typically wear on a Sunday morning while opening the church. One parishioner enjoys the peace and quiet of the empty church and walked in as soon as the doors were opened. I went back to the rectory, had breakfast and got ready for the day. After the first Mass which the man attended, he came up, shook my hand, and said "Father, it's gonna be hot today. I bet you're looking forward to tonight when you can sit back and enjoy a ice cold Carolina Crown." My first thought was why did our friends in Fort Mill, SC name a youth activity after a beer? Then I saw the t-shirt I was wearing when I opened the church: it was 2012's Carolina Crown t-shirt.

Good thing you weren't the infamous "Uncle Satan wants YOU" shirt from 83 BD!

*and if ANYONE has a clear pic of that one, I'd be ever so grateful*

Edited by 84BDsop

In the late '80s, I had a shirt from a Canadian corps that simply said "I play contra". When I wore it, people from the general public gave me the thumbs up, and tell me that they did too...it usually wasn't worth it to try to explain.

(For you youngsters out there, Contra was also a video game popular at the time, and the game that popularized the Konami code).

• Like 7

The thing I find odd is here in the bay area it's not too often you run into people who even know about BD and SCV yet I run into people from the mid west and east and they know.

I wore my 2010 Blue Knights T-shirt on a flight. Airport security asked about my shirt! It's hard to explain drum corps in 30 words and 10 seconds. Yikes! I got through security. They liked my shirt. I wear drum corps T-shirts in public lots but not while flying anymore. btw Oregon Crusaders T-shirts are super comfortable :smile:

Oregon Crusaders T-shirts are super comfortable :smile:

"Everytime you miss your dot a kitten dies"

• Like 1