Corps T-Shirt Misunderstood by public

Kansan

Thinking more about it, I guess it's only appropriate that drum corps t-shirts are misunderstood by the public.

The members of the public that aren't familiar with drum corps...thinks we're a traveling circus, wonders if we're a cult, doesn't comprehend why members would pay to sleep on gym floors all summer, believes we're just more expensive versions of high school marching bands, sees a corps rehearse and suspects members are all wannabe naturists.

Overall, the public doesn't understand drum corps...period.

So, I guess there's little reason drum corps t-shirts should be any different.

• Like 2

I once wore Madison's 97 tour shirt, The Pirates of Lake Mendota, the one with a skeleton horn player to a nursing home once. Didn't seem right but didn't think about either. I knew not to wear my BK 06 Dark Knights shirt living in the Denver area right after the Aurora massacre. On a brighter note, I wore my 05 Cavies CTA shirt with the bus on it? I was wearing it in Chicago in 08 and the bus driver liked it and let me on for free and wanted one. Another shirt I used to get weird looks was the BD (85?) 3/4 jersey with the Devil tympani player. In high school where I taught, they wouldn't allow me to wear my Crossmen shirt. Outsiders thought it was a motorcycle gang.

Anybody else notice that Pearl vodka has pretty much the same fonts and style as the Pearl drum logo? I'll be in a bar with my Pearl drum shirt and I cannot tell you how many people think I'm promoting Pearl Vodka. Now that I think of it, the slogan on the back, "The best reasons to play drums", I should change mine to, "The best reason to play drums AND drink Vodka".

Another is any DCI shirt I wear and other golfers will assume I play DCI irons.

Edited by bstar82

"Everytime you miss your dot a kitten dies"

lol I bought OC's forest green T with the star. Speaking of star, I wore my Star Alumni T the Sunday after DCI finals 2010 at a shopping mall. As we went up the escalator, a gentleman in an SCV T shouted out, "Great show!". I tried to explain but Brenda said 'Hush. Just say thanks' so I said 'Thank you!' at the top of the escalator. My voice echoed. I didn't mind this case of mistaken identity :smile:

I have a Crossmen sweatshirt with a big red Maltese cross and the "Crossmen" script. Back in 2005/2006, I was sitting in my college's auditorium for a presentation about sweatshops. The presenter noticed the sweatshirt and (in the middle of the presentation, in front of the entire 500+ people in attendance) proceeds to ask me about my Independent skateboard sweatshirt. (Independent uses a form of the Maltese cross as their logo)

I think you mean this one? It's from 83...I don't think it was on our souvie trailer after then.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/84bdsop/media/BDtymp_zps7577f21c.jpg.html

I used to have a Santa Clara shirt that was just green with a white SCV on the front, and a man came up to me and said he was a member too. He was probably in his 70's, so I was thinking Wow, when did HE march? So I said Really, you marched in Santa Clara Vanguard? And he suddenly looked disappointed and said No, I thought it was Sons of Confederate Veterans, and walked off.

• Like 1

Thinking more about it, I guess it's only appropriate that drum corps t-shirts are misunderstood by the public.

The members of the public that aren't familiar with drum corps...thinks we're a traveling circus, wonders if we're a cult, doesn't comprehend why members would pay to sleep on gym floors all summer, believes we're just more expensive versions of high school marching bands, sees a corps rehearse and suspects members are all wannabe naturists.

Overall, the public doesn't understand drum corps...period.

So, I guess there's little reason drum corps t-shirts should be any different.

When you think about it logically, the whole thing is an exercise in masochism. It's hard to explain the feelings generated when you hear the roar of a crowd, or the ecstasy of contributing to group success; to someone who has never experienced it themselves.

Edited by Bossop

For me it's not with a t-shirt, but with a hat. Having been a member of Impulse I have the hats I wore as part of my 2012 and 2013 uniforms. The hats are black baseball caps with a yellow zot logo on the front (see my profile image for an example). I occasionally get people coming up to me and jokingly asking, "Do you have a quest for me?", mistaking it for the yellow exclamation mark that appears above the heads of quest-giving characters in World of Warcraft. I have to explain that while I get the reference, it actually has nothing to with the game, and then almost always have to explain what drum corps is. I never really mind, since at least people notice, and it tends to be little more than a moment of humor.

In the late '80s, I had a shirt from a Canadian corps that simply said "I play contra". When I wore it, people from the general public gave me the thumbs up, and tell me that they did too...it usually wasn't worth it to try to explain.

(For you youngsters out there, Contra was also a video game popular at the time, and the game that popularized the Konami code).

Contras were also anti-Sandinista revolutionaries in 1980's Nicaragua.

I remember there being jokes at the time but I don't remember any of them