Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring

Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring  

55 members have voted

1. 1. from a percussionists perspective which is more praiseworthy than the other

• DCI World Class first place corps
    • Fred Sanford trophy for best World Class percussion section

Imagine you are a percussionist in a DCI World Class corps.

Some years the winner of the World Class division is not the winner of the Fred Sanford trophy for best percussion.

If you were a percussionist in a World Class corps in DCI, which award is more important to you? Why?

• Like 1

Imagine you are a percussionist in a DCI World Class corps.

Some years the winner of the World Class division is not the winner of the Fred Sanford trophy for best percussion.

If you were a percussionist in a World Class corps in DCI, which award is more important to you? Why?

As a percussionist, I would much rather win high drums. That's the award I have control over; the overall championship I don't.

-Mike

• Like 2

As a percussionist, I would much rather win high drums. That's the award I have control over; the overall championship I don't.

-Mike

I agree with this completely. And by winning the high drums, you are helping your corps out as much as you possibly can.

I don't see any difference here than say an olympic gymnast. You know that while Mary Lou Retton wanted a team gold, it was even much more exciting for her to win the individual all around gold medal. And in her quest for that gold, she helped bring her team to a silver medal.

And a corps should be extremely proud of a section that wins a caption award, even if it isn't their section. That drive can inspire all other sections of the corps as well.

• Like 3

I think the question is" which is more important " that being said as a staff member there is no doubt I would want my section award BUT as a team ( which is what we are ) it is far more important IMO to have the group accomplishment. IMO it isnt about one individual or section but the group effort that makes a win a true win. Everyone adds to that process. Now if My corps wanst going to win of course I want that section trophy.

• Like 2

I'm sure every section of the corps would like to win their caption. And, I'm sure the other sections would be elated for the winning section. But, when the whole corps wins, Everybody gets to celebrate!

• Like 1

I'm betting that Crown's percussion are more than happy with their gold medals...

But, I had the chance to march brass with either 90 Star or 90 Cadets...I could have had either one (but I wussed out in the face of my father's wrath), and to this day I'm not sure which would have meant more...

The OP should have added "Receive an over the top judging tape from Jeff Prosperie."

I voted for the Sanford trophy. It's the highest honor a percussion section can receive. This year we heard one of the best sections in DCI history.

• Like 1

Drummers are a very intense bunch. They are drummers first. Remember Phantom's line moving to SCV with Remick a few years ago .

• Like 1