Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring

Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring  

55 members have voted

1. 1. from a percussionists perspective which is more praiseworthy than the other

• DCI World Class first place corps
    • Fred Sanford trophy for best World Class percussion section

I can see both sides:

A) you want to be recognized as the best drumline. PERIOD.

B) You want to be the best group possible.

All in all it is a group activity, and one would rather win a title, than a caption award I would assume. Look at the excitement of the BD kids in their line in 2010. Very happy they won it all, and not upset they did not win high percussion. Although, it is great when both can happen at the same time.

I personally felt more accomplished after winning a Sanford. I was more a part of the success to winning the Sanford than I was to winning a ring.

To me what you posted would be like if you were a pit crewman for a NASCAR team stating that you would feel more accomplished winning the Pit Crew Award for fastest pit work than winning the Sprint Cup Title because you were more a part of the pit crew than the overall team.

Edited by Stu

This is a dumb question.

When I first saw the OP, I wondered like you, "What's the point?" But as Mike D has stated above, there is a wide variation of thought which also reflects that not every one in corps is coming from the same perspective.

Does this mean that drummers think differently from the rests of us? Well, there's been many a drum corps legend about that!

No, not a dumb question at all when analyzed. Maybe not an easy one nor a typical DCP moaning post.