Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring

Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring  

55 members have voted

1. 1. from a percussionists perspective which is more praiseworthy than the other

• DCI World Class first place corps
    • Fred Sanford trophy for best World Class percussion section

The converse of your statement is that anyone who did not win the 'Ott', or 'Sanford', did not do their job as individuals and did not max out their own individual performances. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am positive that each and every performer on the field at DCI is 'doing their job by maxing out their own individual performance'. And it is the opinion of the judges, all of them, which determines 'the best' on any given caption award; and no matter the caption, their opinion is always beyond your control.

It is funny... to read this post it indicates that you feel everyone who goes on the field at DCI achieves the same level of performance, and the only differentiating factor is the "Opinion" of the judge.

It also could be... That everyone brings the same winning attitude to the field, but that some fall short when the "rubber meets the road" so to speak. The judge decides based upon the varying levels of performance who performs the best and then ranks all the performances from top to bottom and that the end result is because of performance level far more than because of opinion.

Just a thought :devil:

• Like 2

It is funny... to read this post it indicates that you feel everyone who goes on the field at DCI achieves the same level of performance, and the only differentiating factor is the "Opinion" of the judge.

It also could be... That everyone brings the same winning attitude to the field, but that some fall short when the "rubber meets the road" so to speak. The judge decides based upon the varying levels of performance who performs the best and then ranks all the performances from top to bottom and that the end result is because of performance level far more than because of opinion.

Just a thought :devil:

a) My comment was directed at the issue of an individual player doing or not doing his/her own 'job' and maxing out his/her own 'performance'. If you are giving it your all, your best, and you are maxing out your capabilities, you are by definition doing your job. This apples to a Cadet or a Pioneer. And I promise that there are some, maybe not many, but some lower corps players that can play circles around some upper level corps players.

b) It certainly is 'opinion' of the judge; and if it were not so every judge would have the same scoring numbers and same rankings for each section. I guarantee you that as close in performance quality the percussion sections of the 2013 SCV, Devils, and Cadets lines it was just a matter of judges opinion who took home the Sanford. A different judge at Finals, or even the same judge on the field at different spots during various times during the shows, a very high chance of a different order of placement for that Sanford.

a) My comment was directed at the issue of an individual player doing or not doing his/her own 'job' and maxing out his/her own 'performance'. If you are giving it your all, your best, and you are maxing out your capabilities, you are by definition doing your job. This apples to a Cadet or a Pioneer. And I promise that there are some, maybe not many, but some lower corps players that can play circles around some upper level corps players.

b) It certainly is 'opinion' of the judge; and if it were not so every judge would have the same scoring numbers and same rankings for each section. I guarantee you that as close in performance quality the percussion sections of the 2013 SCV, Devils, and Cadets lines it was just a matter of judges opinion who took home the Sanford. A different judge at Finals, or even the same judge on the field at different spots during various times during the shows, a very high chance of a different order of placement for that Sanford.

Out of curiosity, would you trade that high brass title for the DCI title? Meaning, would you, say, be OK if BD lost brass to Garfield but won DCI?

Yes....I would trade the Ott for the Ring.

I can't wear my Ott trophy to shows like I could a ring.

Understand that I'm VERY happy to have been a part of BD's 23 brass titles, and I wouldn't trade my only year in Jr corps for anything (well....maybe a few more years of eligibility)....it's a great thing to say you were in the best brass section in the activity.....but to say you're a World Champ is something else entirely.

• Like 2

To me what you posted would be like if you were a pit crewman for a NASCAR team stating that you would feel more accomplished winning the Pit Crew Award for fastest pit work than winning the Sprint Cup Title because you were more a part of the pit crew than the overall team.

Fair enough. As someone who marched 7 different corps, I liked playing drums, didn't really care what uniform I was wearing.

Winning drums meant I (and my 30-something fellow drummers) did my job better than everyone else. Winning a ring meant someone designed a show better than everyone else and luckily all of the captions were ok enough to balance out the scores to win.

GE wins rings, clean beats wins drums.

I like clean beats.

• Like 3

Fair enough. As someone who marched 7 different corps, I liked playing drums, didn't really care what uniform I was wearing.

Winning drums meant I (and my 30-something fellow drummers) did my job better than everyone else. Winning a ring meant someone designed a show better than everyone else and luckily all of the captions were ok enough to balance out the scores to win.

GE wins rings, clean beats wins drums.

I like clean beats.

Your 'loyalty' is to only yourself, your drumming, your accomplishments, above anyone or anything else; alrighty then, thanks for clearing that up for us.

After some thought and considering what other posters have contributed, I decided to vote for the ring. Here's why: to win the ring whether with a good show design or an excellent one means that I as a member of my corps performed well enough to convince a tremendous number of the judges that we were the best in whatever we tried. The Sanford only considers what is the opinion of the drum judges the three nights. But let's take Crown '13 for an example. The drum judges maybe weren't convinced, but who says that the music judges and visual judges and effect judges for each thought they were sixth place. Maybe that line was a phenomenal contributer to the overall show, to the visual package, and to the marching arts. More than what just 2 drum judges per night perhaps saw. Just my thoughts. I can't tell you yet a flam from a paradiddle.

Nope...sorry, Cadets 2013 percussion was on a different level than the rest. They should have won regardless of the panel

• Like 1