Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring

Sanford trophy vs. DCI ring  

55 members have voted

1. 1. from a percussionists perspective which is more praiseworthy than the other

• DCI World Class first place corps
    • Fred Sanford trophy for best World Class percussion section

Drummers are a very intense bunch. They are drummers first. Remember Phantom's line moving to SCV with Remick a few years ago .

Not being critical here, but are you suggesting that drummers (in general) are less loyal to their corps than horn players or guard members?

My guess is that in 2009, 2011, and 2012 Crown brass members did not say "Well at least we won the Ott Award" and I walked past the Cadet busses after finals this past year and while I'm sure the percussion section was proud of a well deserved first place, they were not dancing in the street either. So I would guess that any high placement in any category without winning the championship is a great consolation prize and a reason to be proud, but it would still be a disappointment. However since I am not a percussionist and I have never marched in a DCI finals, I may be all wrong and don't get it.

Edited by Tim K

What is the point of this absurd thread? I can assure you that the entire Cadets organization was very proud of their percussion section and what they accomplished. Every year one corps rises to win the championship. Percussion sections the caliber of the 2013 Cadets only come along every once in a while. 2013 Cadets percussion set the bar pretty freaking high! :worthy:

What is the point of this absurd thread? I can assure you that the entire Cadets organization was very proud of their percussion section and what they accomplished. Every year one corps rises to win the championship. Percussion sections the caliber of the 2013 Cadets only come along every once in a while. 2013 Cadets percussion set the bar pretty freaking high! :worthy:

I agree with you about Cadets.

But are you saying that making one think and reflect is absurd??? Hoppie doesn't think so with all the journal writings Cadets do. To infer that thinking and reflecting is beyond percussionists leaves the door open to way too many wise-cracks from horn players and others.

Is there really nothing more to drums than what the individual caption measures? I thought they were part of the music captions as well.

My goal (competitively) as a percussion instructor is to win drums. My goal (competitively) as a percussion designer/arranger is to win music. Those are the things most directly under my control in those roles. That doesn't mean that I don't want to see the band or drum corps win a championship or place well overall, but I can't do much to help the brass or guard perform well.

The fact is, those priorities aren't always so black and white. Neither is necessarily more important. As an educator, my primary goal has nothing to do with competition. It has to do with my students being as far away as possible from what they were at the start of the season/year. I want to max out the possible improvement in each of my students, and in my section. That's number one, and everything I do, be it design or instruction is with that ultimate goal in mind.